Quantcast

I'm bored with my music, I need suggestions!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have a bajillion CDs/Songs, but I'm bored with all of it. I'm trying to get into some new stuff, suggestions?

The Stuff I like is a VERY broad range. Metallica, RATM, Perfect Circle, Immortal Technique, Eminem, Sevendust, Sublime, Wu-Tang..... Just about anything.

So whats out there that is good?

Also, on a kind of related note, I'm looking for good, CLEAN music to play in the shop, my 400 song playlist is getting kinda boring around there.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
gnarls barkley? it's clean for the most part since i can't recall any swears in any of the songs. the only problem is one song is about necrophelia, but if you don't pay too much attention to the lyrics then you don't know what its about.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

The Hellacopters "By the Grace of God" is a perfect record.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
afi, anti-flag, atreyu, audioslave, bad religion, avenged sevenfold, blinded, bloc party, bright eyes, deftones, deltron 3030, Jurrasic 5, dialated peoples, dropkick murphy's, face to face, the faint, finch, fort minor, trevor hall, gorillaz, the streets, heiroglyphics, ignite, ill nino, jimmy eat world, kanye west, kinky, machinehead, n*e*r*d, nofx, normal like you, outkast, pennywise, radiohead, rancid, the roots, senses fail, social distortion, styles of beyond, swollem members, systematic, thrice.
These are all genre's and should keep you busy/occupied for a few weeks.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'm mostly a metal head, but I recently discoverd The Ditty Bops and I think they are ****ing great. No kidding.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The Joker said:
afi, anti-flag, atreyu, audioslave, bad religion, avenged sevenfold, blinded, bloc party, bright eyes, deftones, deltron 3030, Jurrasic 5, dialated peoples, dropkick murphy's, face to face, the faint, finch, fort minor, trevor hall, gorillaz, the streets, heiroglyphics, ignite, ill nino, jimmy eat world, kanye west, kinky, machinehead, n*e*r*d, nofx, normal like you, outkast, pennywise, radiohead, rancid, the roots, senses fail, social distortion, styles of beyond, swollem members, systematic, thrice.
Jesus? Is that you? :rolleyes:

Is there a nifty program that compiles all of the artist names off of my iTunes playlist? That would rock...so hard.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
DREAM THEATER
www.DreamTheater.net

Go to iTunes Music Store, type in Dream Theater.
Click on Octavarium then Octavarium song.

My suggestion, start with their second album Images and Words.
Skip When Day and Dream Unite. It's good, but it has the first singer and he just didn't cut it.

Then Awake,
Then Change of Seasons,
Then Falling Into Infinity,
Then Scenes From A Memory/Metropolis part ll,
Then Train of Thought and
Octavarium.

If you go in that order you'll hear the music progress over the past 20 years. Their current album is Octavarium. If you listen to it, you'll get hooked. I haven't bought Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence yet. But it's good.

Also they have a new one coming out in August called Score. Don't know what it's like but I'm sure, like the past, each album surpasses the other by years.

If you REALLY want to get the experience on just HOW good a quietly kept secret is among musicians and see what REAL rock musicians are at their best in terms of the best musicians regarded so among top musicians in the world, buy the Live at Budokan DVD. It's like 20 bucks. THAT will not only show you their music but show you the show and you will walk away thinking, "Why have I never heard of these guys before," And you will be astounded by the performance. Dream Theater live is one of the few bands that sounds as good if not BETTER than their recordings and their recordings are A1. They are really the best musicians in terms of ability and talent out there. But you won't hear them on the radio. Their songs are too long. Like 11 to 24 minutes.

Check them out.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have been rockin to Dead Prez this week. I don't listen to hip hop, but I do enjoy artists of any flavor and they have some great stuff. Good beats with a raw edge and lyrics with depth.

Today I'm rocking out to Slayer though :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
old stuff from against me, municpal waste if ya like thrash music (they swear but joe schmoe can't even understand the lyrics anyways HA), dan the automator, de la soul, i've been diggin to lost children of bablyon recently (really chill stuff) ummm i could name music all day.

and for the record anti-flag is TERRIBLE. look where they started, and look where they are now. they should be ashamed of themselves.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I second Dream Theater. They're a great band, if you're into technical, progressive styled rock/metal. My favorite album is Train of Thought but that's just my opinion. You could also check out some metal like Testament. And a good Jazzy type of band called Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
not that i read any of your bands or the other suggestions, but

Banco de Gaia - any album
Do Make Say Think - any album
Tipper - any album
Godspeed You Black Emporer - any album
DJ Spooky - That Subliminal Kid
Neutral Milk Hotel - Airplane Over the Sea
Rewind! 2 (remixed R&B tracks)
The Mars Volta - any album
Afrika Bambaata - Dark Matter moving at the Speed of Light

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Lets see, Most of what I listen to is punk, so bare with me:

Against Me! (all time favorite)
The Lawrence Arms
Smoke or fire
A wilhelm scream
Sweatshop union
Mos Def
Hot water music
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Rise Against ETC

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
The Joker said:

You suck at life.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
go aussie

- the saints
- radio birdman
- the hard ons
- the church
- exploding white mice
- ed kuepper