Quantcast

I'm changing my vote

ridemonkey2

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Here
I voted for carbonfiber for the best frame material but I didn't know what it was. Now that I know what it is I want to change my vote to titanium because that's what they make airplanes out of, so it must be the best. But it won't let me change my vote. So when you look at the results of the pole subtract one vote from carbonfiber and add one vote to titanium. UNLESS someone that voted for titanium wants to change their vote to carbonfiber. In that case you could just leave the votes the way they are. I hope this doesn't confuse anyone. Thank-you!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Um... most aircraft use Alu and as many use carbon as titanium.
If they built a 747 out of titanium they would cost an extra $200,000,000
give or take a few mill.

Pale

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
New Mexico
When ti is used in aircraft, it is used for specific parts. Most of your airplanes are made up primarily of aluminum. Carbon Fiber is used on alot as well for specific areas to help the weight/strength of certain areas and some experimentals use it as the basic material (HXA, HXB, HXC types).

Either way, just because something is used to make an airplane doesn't necessarily mean it would be a good thing to make a bike out of. An example would be wood and cloth. You can make airplanes (ie, old biplanes) out of that stuff, and it's really light, but doesn't lend it self to good bicycles. Did you know balsa is the strongest wood per it's weight in the world (one of them, but I think it's got the top spot in that category)?

Ok, I'm rambling now :O

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by ridemonkey2
I voted for carbonfiber for the best frame material but I didn't know what it was. Now that I know what it is I want to change my vote to titanium because that's what they make airplanes out of
That's great if you ride an AIRPLANE

Don't get caught up with the flash in the pan "unobtainium".

More specifically it depends on what type of riding that you do and what sort of bike you want (ie. rigid, XC hardtail, XC Full Boinger, Freeride, Downhill, Dual Slalom.....)

BTW Carbon fiber sux. Very flashy, but sux just the same.

p.s. I ride a steel hardtail. :D

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by mbmb65
uh, i think he's kidding. at least i hope so!
Perhaps I missed the humour :confused: .

But the frame material thing is always a thorn in my pride. A recent bike mag article spelled it out best when they said basically that any of the quality frames will be good irrespective of their material. Ie. the idea that steel is heavy, the idea that aluminum is harsh..... these ideas should be a thing of the past as quality stuff is quality.

Having said that I must point out the real thing that annoys me. I prefer steel. But a couple of years ago the bike companies started to tell us that we needed aluminum. Steel was old and heavy and aluminum is better in all these different ways. And guess what? The market took it hook line and sinker. We swallowed up this lie and now if you are looking for steel you are looking at a $1K frame.

http://www.ifbikes.com

Now titanium is nice but it is glorified aluminum. And now the next story that we are being fed is scandium. "It is so hard that the Ruskies used it to tip their sub based ICBM's. It could penetrate the arctic ice...... Blaaa, blaaa, blaaa. Once again this is great if you ride your favorite trail on an ICBM. Don't get caught up in all the PR crap. I need Scandium like I need 9 speed.

Please pardon the rant!

My favorite frame, the Kona Explosif, was changed from Reynolds 853 main triangle/Columbus rear triangle to Scandium in 2000. RIP.:mad:

Kona stoped their production steel frames in 2000. Now their frames are made overseas in Taiwan.

alloy versus? I had a zaskar LE...it was a beauty..I got it after I snapped my pantera..the zas broke at the seat collar ( a common occurrence ) now I have a ti xizang ( I Like GTs.. sorry! ) and it is truly a sweeet ride....I aint goin back to alloy even thought it has its merits. I also have a steel IF frame waiting to be rebuilt...what am gonna do when Ive got two wicked frames to ride?? Now I want one of dem titanium IFs ( Im droolin!!)

ps whats fool suspension ??

mbmb65

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
asheville, north carolina
i also ride a steel frame. i love steel! my last two frames have been high quality hand made steel. right here in the good ole' u.s.a! titanium, however is not glorified aluminum. the ride characteristics of the two are quite different. all these materials have their place. i would, will, buy an aluminum f/s sled. oh and BUTTCHUNKSTER titanium is an alloy! later

R

RideMonkey

speaking of alternative rides and weight... how sweet would this be: A titanium SPOT single speed with a rholloff 14 speed hub. That bike would rip!

I am a steel fan. I have a Fat Chance. I have broken 2 steel frames. Although I believe steel is more durable than aluminum, I also think that a quality Ti frame is tougher than a light weight steel frame.

sweet spot indeed! I look forlornly at my worn XTR and I think hmmmm Rohloff dang I want some o dat action alas the $$$.. but love that internally geared notion......steel vs ti...ti in the strength dept 4 sure...my pal spliced his IF into pieces ( literally ) over the bonnet of an errant motorist...such a waste..wouldnt be so bad if it was a tree or a miscued jump......

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by mbmb65
however is not glorified aluminum. the ride characteristics of the two are quite different.

Titanium, Aluminum, Vanadium Alloy. It is a strong mix. Kinda a Goldilox approach. Not too harsh, not too brittle, just right. Ti is my #2 choice after steel.