Quantcast

Im confused at what a waste of a nice frame...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Is probably a kid who can't afford good stuff. Give him a break and throw some good stuff which has been lying around the shop on it.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Yeah, some of us can't afford the stuff we want, so we go with what works. I say if the brakes do the job and fit the budget, then go with them. I would love to have some XTRs of 0.9s on my SGS, but they're not in my budget and there's no way in hell I'm going let fact that I can only afford crap parts stop me from riding.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Who cares?

If the guy rides, that's all that matters. If he rides, and the parts work, then let him ride with them. Don't be such a snob. People could just as easily pick on everyone here who will spend twice as much for a part with a ten percent improvement.

If the guy doesn't ride, then he has no use for the good parts and they would be wasted on the frame.

Like I said, don't be a snob. Slapping some XTR shifters and Mavic Crossmax wheels on there isn't going to make his ride any better, it'll just lighten both his bike and his wallet.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
caputo1989 said:
...so I was doing a tune today on a Yety FRO. Here is where it gets confusing. It had Deore shifters and LX drailures. Bontrager Tank ass wheels and low end avid breaks. WTF :nuts:
This attitude drives more folks away from bike shops more than anything else. Folks just don't want to deal with some condescending kid about their bike and component choices.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
This attitude drives more folks away from bike shops more than anything else. Folks just don't want to deal with some condescending kid about their bike and component choices.
What? How could anyone not want to be told that their choices are bad?

I mean, when I go to the local garage for an oil change, I fully expect to be chided for putting $60 tires on a $20,000 vehicle.

BillT

Monkey
If I remember correctly, Yeti's FRO bikes were their lower-end (but still nice) hardtail compared to the ARC's and could be spec'ed from the factory with more economical groupset. Did it look like the bike was getting use and the owner enjoyed it? That's probably more important than the components on the bike.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Hmm... sounds like the parts-spec of a guy I know. Loves Yeti's... but also loves his old retro DX parts... so all of his bikes have top-mount thumb shifters. Even his Yeti ASR. Just because it's newer, doesn't alwasy make it better. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Ian F said:
Hmm... sounds like the parts-spec of a guy I know. Loves Yeti's... but also loves his old retro DX parts... so all of his bikes have top-mount thumb shifters. Even his Yeti ASR. Just because it's newer, doesn't alwasy make it better. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Exactly. If he has fun and it works for him, great. Not everyone has bought into the whole component upgrade thing.

Saying that, I have Monkey lite bars, X.9 shifters/ders, Juicy sevens, Corssmax Enduro's.... so they got to me at some point.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
Is there some kind of rule that says you have to have high end components on high end frames? If so, I better start upgrading my parts....
You might want to start with the monkey. :D