Quantcast

I'm considering becoming a biology teacher...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...for a couple reasons. Here is one of the main ones:

Evolution teaching poor in U.S. high schools

Most U.S. high school biology teachers "fail to forthrightly explain evolutionary biology," finds an educator survey. And at least 13% "strongly support" teaching creationism.

Evolution, the inheritance of changed characteristics across generations, is the fundamental unifying concept underlying biology, as a National Research Council science education standards released in 1996 noted. That report said, "... 'biological evolution' cannot be eliminated from the life science standards."

But only 28% of the 926 teachers surveyed, "unabashedly introduce evidence that evolution has occurred and craft lesson plans so that evolution is a theme that unifies disparate topics in biology," according to the Science report by Michael Berkman and Eric Plutzer of Penn State. Most biology teachers belong to the "cautious 60%," who are "neither strong advocates for evolutionary biology nor explicit endorsers of nonscientific alternatives," the study says. As mentioned, 13% of respondents advocated biblical creationism or "intelligent design" creationism in biology class.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2011/01/evolution-teaching-poor-/1

I dont know that I have a ton to offer as an educator, or even a love of helping/teaching kids to learn, but this sh*t drives me nuts. Frankly, I think one of the biggest issues is that people only become science teachers because it's easier to get a job that way, than to teach history.

In fact, I have a friend with an English degree who teaches high school biology, because they couldn't find anyone who was actually qualified, and she's a pretty good teacher so they let her do it.

Point is, people who are educated in, and understand science well enough, generally become scientists because they like research and it's more interesting than teaching, and probably overall pays better. That or they become professors at universities instead of public school teachers. Thing is, topics like evolution aren't "easy" to fully understand, let alone get across well to a bunch of still-forming minds. Throw into that mix a bunch of religious nonsense, and it's obvious why these people dont do a good job. They don't know any better. Even at the graduate level, I have been in classes where somebody said something like "How does a plant know it needs to evolve though? It's not like they have a brain."

Solution? No idea. But Im thinking of taking one for the team (America) here and getting a job at one of these redneck schools out here and riling up some meth-head parents with my ape-man talk. And joker can still give me sh*t for living off the government teat, although not for saving worthless rare fish.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
If you want to teach evolution, you are going to end up working in a district where for one: You will be paid highly, and two: the kids already know what evolution is since they are living in an area that isn't poor enough to believe in that ****. Unless you want to volunteer to teach evolution in poor catholic schools, I don't see you making a difference. Taking a job with in that class of people, will only hurt you be because you will be paid ****, and we all know how that works here in america.

I mean, yes, nobody is stopping you from wanting you to make a difference, but dammit! If you had an opportunity to move up social class somewhere else, you should take it. Your volunteer work here in America doesn't mean ****. Trust me, I am the president of my local high schoool miniature version of rotary. If you want to change something, you start an organization that collects money to get teachers into thsoe classrooms to teach biology. It will probably be a chance for others to move up in society.

Long story short: People born into that class will stay there for the rest of their lives because they are prevented by social stratification. You aren't going to change that by teaching biology. You will only get decreased pay and suffer yourself. But hey, who am I to tell you what to do.

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Couple points Truth:
1. You are a teacher? I value your input on this decision. I have several friends who are also and say that either I would hate it more than anything or Id be the best teacher ever. Nothing stopping me from trying it out, particularly with the dearth of jobs elsewhere.

2. Already live in BFE.

3. Weird to say, but pay is actually not much of a consideration to me. Not worried about social class. I have little debt, little use for material possessions and like where i live.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Don't burn out before you start. There are many fights worth fighting in this world, but I'm over trying to save people from themselves. Similar reasoning goes into why I'm not in primary care medicine.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Don't burn out before you start. There are many fights worth fighting in this world, but I'm over trying to save people from themselves. Similar reasoning goes into why I'm not in primary care medicine.
This is my point. Yeah sure, the whole "I want to save everybody, and no I don't care about money!" complex is happening now, but you are going to **** yourself. Those kids are born into that. It is a prescribed norm for them. You really won't change that. Even if you do, they aren't going to die any happier than they will be.

Besides, money will matter when you aren't making enough money to live in your house, especially after the school fires you for teaching evolution in the first place. You are better off handing out pamphlets right next to the women who is handing out "discover god" pamphlets on the street.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You wanna teach biology in the USA? Really?

Go pound a rusty nail through your cock. Do it again. One more time. That's what the rest of your life would be like.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im not talking about proselytizing here, Im talking about bringing COMPETENCE to an area where it's so badly needed, as referenced in the article I posted. If beyond that I get people to think differently, so be it. I think it's important to utilize what skills you do have in a manner you'd find rewarding, and not only that I would tend to relate better to some country kids than those from some suburb somewhere. Thus far (without getting into it) Id say Im a pretty decent example of overcoming class stratification myself, so it'd be hypocritical of me to write others off on such grounds.

Also, the money thing... there is no realistic scenario in which I wouldnt be able to afford my house.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You don't get to bring competence. You get to deal with idiot parents who teach Jim Bob that God made his special ass and implanted it into that meth-addled uterus he popped out of. He ain't no goddamn monkey. Faggot.

And then you get fired because you don't love Jesus.

edit: Now Westy, that man has it figured all out. Should be a career coach, IMO.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My sister was a biology teacher. Now she is an administrator for the whole system.

We never talked about her struggles about teaching evolution, because I doubt there was one.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
And then you get fired because you don't love Jesus.
Doubt that. You already have to teach evolution, it's just that IMO, people are too cowardly or incompetent to do so effectively. I appreciate your skepticism, but is sitting behind a computer and bitching about how stupid the religious right is doing anyone any good? I have done my share of that to be sure, but if they were instead giving up their precious tax dollars for me to "indoctrinate" their spawn, wouldn't that be more ironic/effective? Just a thought.

Also, I dont mind giving some disclaimer like "If you love Jesus, Allah, Unicorns, whatever... that's fine, but this is science class, and in science class we discuss scientific theories, not religions. So leave that at the door."

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Solution? No idea. But Im thinking of taking one for the team (America) here and getting a job at one of these redneck schools out here and riling up some meth-head parents with my ape-man talk. And joker can still give me sh*t for living off the government teat, although not for saving worthless rare fish.
I've said this before, we need to dump huge amounts of money into education. Run it like a private entity though. Dump the teachers unions, dump tenure, pay by performance. Stop the testing of kids, as knowledge isn't about tests; it's about critical thinking. Pay teachers competitive wages as the open market. Competitive wages means you will get people who want to teach and can afford to live a life they are willing to live based on a teachers wage.

Will it cost a lot? Yes, but it's one of the few things I am very much in support of the government funding.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'm a product of the bible belt school system. One time in HS (this was mid 90's), my biology teacher told the class that there was evidence that computer viruses were actual living organisms.

I say go for it...we can use you.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I've said this before, we need to dump huge amounts of money into education. Run it like a private entity though. Dump the teachers unions, dump tenure, pay by performance. Stop the testing of kids, as knowledge isn't about tests; it's about critical thinking. Pay teachers competitive wages as the open market. Competitive wages means you will get people who want to teach and can afford to live a life they are willing to live based on a teachers wage.

Will it cost a lot? Yes, but it's one of the few things I am very much in support of the government funding.

How exactly would you pay teachers based on "performance" without testing kids?

Not that I have an opinion on standardized testing or performance-based retention for teachers, Im just honestly curious. I think that if you're a teacher in a sh*t district where parents don't care so much about their kids, you'll do worse than someone in a good district even if they're a crappy teacher, but that in any situation, I'll outperform my peers because that's just how I roll, so Im not worried about how they grade teachers out.

MMike, no I didnt see the Obama speech.

Kenan, yeah my high school teachers were pretty much retards too for the most part. It's a shame.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How exactly would you pay teachers based on "performance" without testing kids?

Not that I have an opinion on standardized testing or performance-based retention for teachers, Im just honestly curious.
Do you really think that stoney has well thought-out policy positions? :rofl:

"I support freedom, free markets, and apple pie." Saying stuff is easy. Making it consistent and workable isn't.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Also, I dont mind giving some disclaimer like "If you love Jesus, Allah, Unicorns, whatever... that's fine, but this is science class, and in science class we discuss scientific theories, not religions. So leave that at the door."
Oh, that reasonable request will convince the Jesus freaks, I'm sure. Why hasn't anyone tried that in the past?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Well Burly, You've got your work cut out for you.
During an appearance on HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher" on Friday night, Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.) stated clearly that he does not believe in the process of evolution.

"I believe I came from God, not from a monkey so the answer is no," he said, laughing, when asked if he subscribes to the theory. Later in the segment he added, "I don't believe that a creature crawled out of the sea and became a human being one day."

According to a Gallup poll released last month, 40 percent of Americans believe God is responsible for creating human life in its current form roughly 10,000 years ago.

The survey found that 52 percent of Republicans believe in creationism. 34 percent of Democrats and independents maintain the same view, the poll showed. An excerpt of analysis from Gallup:

The significantly higher percentage of Republicans who choose a creationist view of human origins reflects in part the strong relationship between religion and politics in contemporary America. Republicans are significantly more likely to attend church weekly than are others, and, as noted, Americans who attend church weekly are most likely to select the creationist alternative for the origin of humans.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/30/jack-kingston-evolution_n_815909.html
Go with God my son. :twitch:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT

Its going to be an uphill battle for sure Burly, but props to you for wanting to take an active role!

And to Pesqueeb's last link :rofl: but are we really surprised?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I say kudos to anyone who wants to be a teacher. Be it biology, english, math, whatever. Teachers with passion really do leave a lasting impression.

I'd say though, it's likely more important to actually want to teach kids rather than deciding to be a teacher out of a broad sense of dis-satisfaction with the school system. Sounds like you might want to get more into the school board administration.

I've got a buddy from HS who was a real brainiac. He could have pursued all manor of lucrative career options. He's chosen to be a highschool math teacher. He's really good at it. Is he loaded? Nope. It doesn't seem to bother him. Will be become an administrator? Unlikely. He's a happy teacher.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have this theory that fish are actually the smartest organisms on the planet... only problem is they have no way to express what they know. No hands to build or use tools, no vocal chords to speak, can't even blink their eyelids to emulate morse code. So they're just stuck inside their own minds will all these great ideas while everyone just assumes they're idiots. Kind of like that guy in that Metallica video.

Anyway, as for teaching. I just heard about a two-year, online master's which will give me my teaching cert. Hooray for multiple masters degrees. Someone kill me!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well Burly, You've got your work cut out for you.

Go with God my son. :twitch:
Something something Costa Rica...

Hell, I'd teach mathematics and econ in public school if they paid $70k/year, gave me a 401k option, and competetive healthcare (ie PPO option). It would be no more than I was making when I was selling software and bringing in revenues of $1mm/year. It's a huge pay cut for guys like me, but seriously worthwhile to everyone to have individuals with real-life experience teaching.

Seriously, if teaching paid anything remotely close to open market, you would get so many well educated (in real-world scenarios) individuals willing to teach that there would be an over supply of teachers. But that will never happen because our country doesn't believe in education...

*note: that 70k is based on col in Bay Area. That should be adjusted based on where the school is located, ie. Central Valley pays less than San Diego, which pays less than SF, etc.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have this theory that fish are actually the smartest organisms on the planet... only problem is they have no way to express what they know. No hands to build or use tools, no vocal chords to speak, can't even blink their eyelids to emulate morse code. So they're just stuck inside their own minds will all these great ideas while everyone just assumes they're idiots. Kind of like that guy in that Metallica video.

Anyway, as for teaching. I just heard about a two-year, online master's which will give me my teaching cert. Hooray for multiple masters degrees. Someone kill me!
This too. The fact that you need a masters to teach, and it cannot be waived by having a minimum amout of real-world industry experience.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, at least in TN you dont NEED a masters to teach, but you need a teaching certification. In my situation, since I already have a grad degree (or will have in may) I can get a job, and take classes for the cert. as Im working. However, since i already have the grad degree, it's just as easy for me to get a masters in education as it is to get the simple certification, so I may as well do so.