Quantcast

I'm Debt Free *****es!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
I realize that. Its obviously better to own a home, but Im saying that a paid off home is always better than a home you owe money on because it is no longer at risk.
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters
What's your plan, if any, to grow the capital needed to buy a home?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters
What's your plan, if any, to grow the capital needed to buy a home?
I already posted it. I wont be buying a home, I will be building it with my own two hands. I will raise the capital by working and living below my means.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BurlyShirley said:
Would you mortgage your house to invest the money in something else?
We're doing that right now. We've got a line of credit that we've invested. One year from now, we will be getting our money back plus a 74% return. Even after figuring for taxes and carrying costs, we will still be making over a 50% return on our money. Having the equity to leverage can be good if you're smart about it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the Inbred said:
i can't see past the $40,700 in student loans i have. then again, i don't see how many (if any) college students today can graduate without debt unless they're a smart minority, super smart and white, or loaded.

Don't forget athletically gifted and boneheaded. Apparently I lie somewhere in between?

Track and field, what can't you do?!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mybuddy and his wife just refinanced their house on an "interest only loan". They pay only the interest and reduced the monthly payment by $400.

I tried to get him to understand that the $400 a month he WAS paying on his house was the only good money he was spending. He thinks that he can just live off the equity his house is building and that will pay for his house some day.

I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to $$$, but even I know that's a bad idea.

pixelninja said:
We're doing that right now. We've got a line of credit that we've invested. One year from now, we may be getting our money back plus a 74% return. Even after figuring for taxes and carrying costs, we will still be making over a 50% return on our money. Having the equity to leverage can be good if you're smart about it.
Fixed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
jimmydean said:
Mybuddy and his wife just refinanced their house on an "interest only loan". They pay only the interest and reduced the monthly payment by $400.

I tried to get him to understand that the $400 a month he WAS paying on his house was the only good money he was spending. He thinks that he can just live off the equity his house is building and that will pay for his house some day.

I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to $$$, but even I know that's a bad idea.
Wow, now that is a scam and a half right there.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually, I guess what I posted WAS my plan. Kizzi is actually rich so I guess we'll just buy a house with cash or inherit a few or something.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
Actually, I guess what I posted WAS my plan. Kizzi is actually rich so I guess we'll just buy a house with cash or inherit a few or something.
that's always a better plan.

btw, BS, buying land to build a house is usually the largest amount of capital...an acre of land in my area goes for ~400K...i'm sure it's worse in other regions...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
that's always a better plan.

btw, BS, buying land to build a house is usually the largest amount of capital...an acre of land in my area goes for ~400K...i'm sure it's worse in other regions...
Here, you can buy an acre for 2-5k or cheaper if you buy in bulk. I know a guy who just bought 170 acres for 200k. I only need about 20 or 30.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
johnbryanpeters said:
Well, sort of. I understand that no investment is guaranteed, but the 74% is a pre-determined amount that all parties ageed on, and we have a contract signed by all parties saying as such. Sure, they can back out of the agreement and then we can put a lean (sp?) on their property and go round and round and maybe we'll get screwed in the end, but that's the fun of investing, isnt' it? :rofl:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
pixelninja said:
maybe we'll get screwed in the end, but that's the fun of investing, isnt' it? :rofl:
maybe, but that was kind of my point on borrowing AGAINST your house. If its fun to lose your home, then I guess I dont want fun.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
Here, you can buy an acre for 2-5k or cheaper if you buy in bulk. I know a guy who just bought 170 acres for 200k. I only need about 20 or 30.
is that unimproved? what would it cost for grading, site prep, utility runs, etc?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
BurlyShirley said:
I realize that. Its obviously better to own a home, but Im saying that a paid off home is always better than a home you owe money on because it is no longer at risk.

yup, but buying today will be better than waiting

oh, "no longer at risk" > try not payng your property/school taxes

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
is that unimproved? what would it cost for grading, site prep, utility runs, etc?
It all depends of course on where it is. But the cost for those things is ALOT less (especially if you know construction) then where you're at. All this being said though, I highly doubt Ill remain in TN, so its kind of pointless to go on.

I still dont want to live in any metro area, so costs will be similarly less wherever I move.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BurlyShirley said:
maybe, but that was kind of my point on borrowing AGAINST your house. If its fun to lose your home, then I guess I dont want fun.
Your point is well taken. Fortunately, I'm not THAT much of a risk taker. If this deal does go sour, we won't lose our house. We'll have a few grand more that we owe on it, but we won't lose it.

Life is a constant series of risks. Hopefully its a series of carefully calculated risks, but risks none-the-less.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
pixelninja said:
Your point is well taken. Fortunately, I'm not THAT much of a risk taker. If this deal does go sour, we won't lose our house. We'll have a few grand more that we owe on it, but we won't lose it.

Life is a constant series of risks. Hopefully its a series of carefully calculated risks, but risks none-the-less.
Yeah, Im not one to really give financial advice. I like to keep things very simple and stable as a rule, so I tend to not like the idea of massive investments and things like that. Of course this means that Ill never be rich, but if you know what youre doing (and im sure you do) than go for it. It'd be nice to make that kind of coin.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, Im not one to really give financial advice. I like to keep things very simple and stable as a rule, so I tend to not like the idea of massive investments and things like that. Of course this means that Ill never be rich, but if you know what youre doing (and im sure you do) than go for it. It'd be nice to make that kind of coin.
Eh, I just *hope* we know what we're doing. Come January 2007, we'll see...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I find it interesting the wide range of methods people use to "further" or better their own personal lives...
Steve and I do everything we can to remain debt free, and by living simply (ie below our means), the extra money we have can go to fun or the periodic purchase of really nice treats for each other.
Another family member, same age as me, and his wife are selling their condo (got ahead by 50k, but that doesn't pay off the original mortgage, so they're still behind by 100k) and are buying a place for more than double the cost of the original. Neither of them are making more money, in fact, the wife is quitting to start her own business, and he just quit his job to take a 15/hour job.
My parents sold their longtime home which they had mortgaged several times and bought a big beautiful tudor on an acre for an awesome deal, but they did the interest only thing - which to me is the scariest way of buying a house...what do you do when the actual payment finally hits? It seems a silly assumption to think you're definitely going to get out of a crazy huge investment in time to not have to make enormous payments.
Then their's my older brother who tries to avoid debt, but has a mortgage and a new minivan and is supporting a household with two kids...the result...total scrooge. They do nothing, and own nothing other than a big empty house...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Oh - the point of my post - each person described there (myself included) is convinced that their way is the best way to be and will try and sell other's on their way of being. I guess long term, only your own individual circumstances will prove whether you're right or wrong...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
narlus said:
just curious...what sort of investment? sounds real-estate involved.
It is. We know some people who have been doing the fix-n-flip thing for a few years who we've invested in before. This is actually our 3rd time investing in them. The first 2 times were shorter term (around 3 month turnaround), but we decided this time to let them use our money for a year to help us avoid capital gains tax. The first 2 investments went off without a hitch, except we're still waiting on the tax paperwork from last year's investment, but I'm not worried (yet) that we won't get it before April 15.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
how do they guarantee a return though? sounds like they are confident in a certain sales price, and are willing to eat some of their own profits if they don't reach it?

good luck.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
narlus said:
how do they guarantee a return though? sounds like they are confident in a certain sales price, and are willing to eat some of their own profits if they don't reach it?

good luck.
Thanks. So far, thats been their MO. They've become pretty good about estimating costs and returns, although in the first deal we did with them, they did end up eating a lot of their own profits. That's what happens when you sign contracts guaranteeing certain returns to investors and then hire a general contractor that has no idea on how to bid projects :rolleyes: I was a *bit* scared of that deal, but to the best of my knowledge, they honored all of their commitments.

I have a feeling that this will be the last of these dealings. From what I understand, they've built up enough of a cash reserve that they won't need outside investors to fund their projects, unless they decide to take on much bigger projects.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Jr_Bullit said:
I find it interesting the wide range of methods people use to "further" or better their own personal lives...
Steve and I do everything we can to remain debt free, and by living simply (ie below our means), the extra money we have can go to fun or the periodic purchase of really nice treats for each other.
Another family member, same age as me, and his wife are selling their condo (got ahead by 50k, but that doesn't pay off the original mortgage, so they're still behind by 100k) and are buying a place for more than double the cost of the original. Neither of them are making more money, in fact, the wife is quitting to start her own business, and he just quit his job to take a 15/hour job.
My parents sold their longtime home which they had mortgaged several times and bought a big beautiful tudor on an acre for an awesome deal, but they did the interest only thing - which to me is the scariest way of buying a house...what do you do when the actual payment finally hits? It seems a silly assumption to think you're definitely going to get out of a crazy huge investment in time to not have to make enormous payments.
Then their's my older brother who tries to avoid debt, but has a mortgage and a new minivan and is supporting a household with two kids...the result...total scrooge. They do nothing, and own nothing other than a big empty house...

my current plan is sell my house, and buy a smaller one in an area with lower taxes