Quantcast

I'm done with most commercial software & bloatware...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Okay, that's it.

I just moved over to a permanent Vista installation and went to download the latest version of Nero from their website.

It's f**king ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MEGS.

So, that's it. I'm done. No more of this bloatware crap. No more nag screens about registration or pirating serial numbers and having to search out new ones for upgrades or wonder if the latest update will recognize my piracy and kill the program. Where it's at all possible (exceptions: Photoshop and MS Office), I will be using compact freeware and open source.

Suggestions? Right now I need a more robust defrag program, and a decent IRC program (not BitchX, I'm not doing the command line thing right now), and could be swayed from my newest choice of CD burning programs, but I'm open to other interesting utilities/suggestions.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I will be watching this thread with interest, as Nero has turned into a pile of crap and I do not yet have a decent burning program for the new machine.

Latest version of Alc120=10mb. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I haven't used it much yet but I downloaded CDBurnerXP which is freeware and got some good reviews.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have to say, Mac OS7 and Win98 were the tops. The newer OSs and accompanying software only make things "easier", but as for graphic design, multimedia dev, and other functions that I use, I'm not able to accomplish something that I wasn't back then, plus, so much more garbage.

I sound old :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Are there any freeware/OS programs out there that allow me to make image files from directories/files instead of just a disc?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How does Ubuntu manage their updates/patches?
You log into your machine and a little bubble pops up if there are updates, or you can run the updater manually.

I've had it on my home machine for months. It's been brainless. (in a good way)

Only problem so far is Youtube makes Firefox freeze sometimes. I don't know why.

That has seriously been the only problem.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The only thing keeping me from running Ubuntu is the lack of CS3 love.

:(

Hence, I'm trying to get Leopard to go...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The only thing keeping me from running Ubuntu is the lack of CS3 love.

:(

Hence, I'm trying to get Leopard to go...
Yeah, you need to be satisfied w/ GIMP and Inkscape, etc. to run Linux. If you must have CS3 then it's really not a replacement.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
With school, Ubuntu is pretty impractical for me. I need to be able to run whatever programs I need that semester, including study material off CDs.

Besides, Photoshop and Office are non-negotiable.
Yep.

Open Office has worked pretty well, so has GIMP and UFRAW for pics, but I'm not in school.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My future in Linux:

http://ardour.org/

I just started messing with this. It kicks complete ass. So much so that now I need a better hardware solution for audio input.

Ruh ro Raggy!