Quantcast

I'm feeling a bit Surly this morning - how about you? (pics!)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well she's done - meet my new Surly Instigator! Finished the bike up last night by running some rear brake cable and housing and installing a slightly longer stem and she's ready to go.

So without further delays - here's my new bike! :dancing: :thumb: :dancing:

She's not a lightweight XC hardtail, but she's not an overly porky freeride/dh hardtail either. I like to think of the bike as a trail bike hardtail.

I got the frame from Carbon Fetish - thanks CF! The wheelset was a score from the mtbr.com classifieds - brand new for less than half of any online price I saw and they are hand build Cane Creek Terros Disc wheels - they feel nice. The rest of the stuff is what I had left over from my previous bike builds. It all came together pretty nicely.

I rode it around a bit last night and it feels pretty nice. easy to get the front end up and over things and the 4130 cromoly definitely has a nicer "feel" to it than the aluminum framed Sould Hardline I had before this one.

I'm taking this bike with me up to the Kingdom Trails this weekend! Should work out well up there! :dancing: :dancing:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Nice build Mark!!! :thumb: Looks great and should be a great "do all" bike for ya'.

:think: Hmmmm...doesn't JT have one of those frames for sale right now? :devil:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
MMcG said:
Mackie said:
I give it 6 weeks before it's replaced!
I thought Splat would come through with that comment.
But seriously, let me know when you decide to get rid of it. I may be in the market for a new bike about then.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Have fun Mark, I'm glad to see you finally put it together. My own steel ride should be done within a week or so, just depending on when the powdercoater is done with it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
reflux said:
Have fun Mark, I'm glad to see you finally put it together. My own steel ride should be done within a week or so, just depending on when the powdercoater is done with it.
Cool what are you building up?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
well I took the bike out last night for our maiden voyage together. I like the geometry a lot. I like the steel feel a lot as well - much more compliant than the Soul Hardline I had briefly yet just as sturdy and stiff feeling if that makes sense.

The wheels are strong and stiff but the rear hub is slower to engage and runs really quiet compared to my DT Swiss Onyx hub.

Techy sections were easier to handle with this bike and I was able to climb every thing I can climb with my Ted Wojcik. It was fun to sort of "feel" the trail a little bit more with this bike. My ass will need to get used to the stutter bumps and the rooty sections fo trail, but that'll come after a few more rides on the bike.

All in all I'm very happy. :thumb: