Quantcast

I'm getting one of these/no one will ever road rage me again!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The Largest Bucket Wheel Excavator in the world. Built by Krupp, seen here crossing a federal highway in Germany in route to its destination (an open-pit coal mine) it is cheaper to move the thing like this, than to construct or re-assemble on-site.

* Stands over 95 metres tall
* Is over 215 metres long (2.5 football fields)
* Weighs over 45,500 tons (yes that's 45 thousand tons!)
* Cost $100 million USD, took 5 years to design & manufacture and 5 years To assemble
* Only Requires 5 people to operate
* The Bucket Wheel is over 70 feet in diameter with 20 buckets each of which can hold over 15 cubic metres of material. A 6-foot man can stand up inside one of the buckets.
* It moves on 12 crawlers (each is 3.6 metres wide, 2.4 metres high and 14 metres long) - 8 in front and 4 in back
* Has a maximum speed of 10m/min
* It can remove over 76,455 cubic metres of overburden each day.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco-gringo said:
Permits are gonna be a killer to drive that thing.
yeah but man if THE MAN showed up to inforce it I'd bucket wheel his face off !!!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
llkoolkeg said:
Damn, what a cool piece of machinery. It almost looks like a giant siege machine. Imagine looking out from your castle's parapet and seeing THAT thing rumbling toward you!
it moves at 0.373 MPH - you could move your castle in time...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
That website sucks. You can't order online and there is no price listing. I want to ADD TO CART, dammit.
Damn they probably get with thoes damn over seas shipping charges.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Ahh yes! Toys! :drool:

One of the reasons, other than the paycheck, why I work in the mines.

Personally I'm more into Cat 793's and LeTourneau 1400's but credit where its due. :)

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Meh, I'd still rather have the armor plated bulldozer that had machine guns out the side. but that would still cause some choas I suppose :blah:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
JoeRay said:
Ahh yes! Toys! :drool:

One of the reasons, other than the paycheck, why I work in the mines.

Personally I'm more into Cat 793's and LeTourneau 1400's but credit where its due. :)

Yep...toys are very important ! As one guy once said " when we die, the guy with most toys wins!" .... :devil:

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
dh girlie said:
That things bad ass!
Ya ain't gonna have to worry about bendin bike racks with one of them things :eek::eviltongu I'll add that vehicle to the list of cars that I will never have :angry:

Speakin of which, you ever get that rack fixed?