Quantcast

I'm going to Hong Kong!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for business. I'm nervous, but excited. trip is next month.

anyone have any tips for going there? what to check out? what to avoid?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Hit up Lan Kwai Fong (and try to best my time in pint of Guinness contest at the Canadian bar there, think it's called the Keg and they play old school hockey vids...I was still in 2nd place the last time I was there...trailed some guy from Perth...go figure!), take the Star Ferry, ride the peak tram, hit up the all-you-can eat brunch buffet at one of the hotels in Kowloon, take a visit to Shenzhen, be amazed at the cleanliness & efficiency of HKG airport.

Those are some of my recommendations.

-ska todd

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hit up Lan Kwai Fong (and try to best my time in pint of Guinness contest at the Canadian bar there, think it's called the Keg and they play old school hockey vids...I was still in 2nd place the last time I was there...trailed some guy from Perth...go figure!), take the Star Ferry, ride the peak tram, hit up the all-you-can eat brunch buffet at one of the hotels in Kowloon, take a visit to Shenzhen, be amazed at the cleanliness & efficiency of HKG airport.

Those are some of my recommendations.

-ska todd
thanks for the info! what was your time on the pint?

not sure how much time I'll have for sightseeing / shopping / etc, when my company sends someone to HK for business, it normally means a 14-15 hour work day on top of a 14 hour time zone difference.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bring Iodine Tablets for the water. My bro caught something nasty when he was there. IV antibiotics for weeks and he lost 50 pounds. It was close to 6 months before he felt better.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
oh and dont forget to hit up the red light district...great boot leg cd's, brass knuckles, "candle shows", and great food. as far as touristy stuff, there wasnt as much as Thailand, but theres still a ton of stuff to do when you arent working

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its not the Tokyo airport, its the man made island called Kansai Airport. Tokyo is on the main island. the Kansai airport building is on adjustable stilts
But they're still under threat of Godzilla.

See, I've never been to Asia. For all I know Godzilla roams as freely as the buffalo used to on the Great Plains. I told this to my boss also.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
3.6 or 3.8 I think.

-ska todd
your reverse time on the second attempt was even faster... :rofl:

Jon - take the bus up to the summit (can't remember which line) and then take the tram down... dunno which is worse, the wrong-side driving or being on the upper deck of a bus ripping around mountain roads with nothing between you and a 1000' drop but a 2 foot high stone wall (and no shoulder).

Otherwise Lan Kwai Fan is an absolute must. Also if you can find your way around, the subway's are a blast as well. Gives new meaning to the term "wind tunnel". If you go to Shenzhen, make sure you go to Fu Yong (Shenzhen Airport) instead of downtown. Why bother with the high-rises and western culture of downtown Shenzhen when you can experience the squalor and pollution of a real, authentic manufacturing area.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
your reverse time on the second attempt was even faster... :rofl:

Jon - take the bus up to the summit (can't remember which line) and then take the tram down... dunno which is worse, the wrong-side driving or being on the upper deck of a bus ripping around mountain roads with nothing between you and a 1000' drop but a 2 foot high stone wall (and no shoulder).

Otherwise Lan Kwai Fan is an absolute must. Also if you can find your way around, the subway's are a blast as well. Gives new meaning to the term "wind tunnel". If you go to Shenzhen, make sure you go to Fu Yong (Shenzhen Airport) instead of downtown. Why bother with the high-rises and western culture of downtown Shenzhen when you can experience the squalor and pollution of a real, authentic manufacturing area.
Shenzen IS where our manufacturing is located :disgust::dead: