Quantcast

I'm going to Moab!

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
I've been playing bball a few times a week in the am. The other day one of the guys I usually guard happened to mention he was going on a mtn bike trip. I asked where and he said Moab. He proceeded to mention that the usual people cancelled and he was now going by himself. Since I don't work again for 3 weeks I volunteered.
Always wanted to go down there but it just never worked out until now. Looking forward to it :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Take a drive up the canyon... it's beautiful. Hell, the whole area is amazing and for a photographer, it's heaven.

EDIT: oh, drive (or ride a roadie for the 65 mile loop) over the La Sal mountains. When you get to the backside, it's more than you'd expect.

J

JRB

Cool - I hope my adventure of the year is me working at the shop and making Interbike. I want to see all the hot chicks and ride new bikes.

Have fun and bring us some cool pics.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
loco said:
Cool - I hope my adventure of the year is me working at the shop and making Interbike. I want to see all the hot chicks and ride new bikes.

Have fun and bring us some cool pics.
Loco, if you go to Interbike, hit me up, I'll be really drunk and telling Specialized to lick my balls, it's quite fun actually.

As for you BAH, have fun in Moab, when exactly are you going? The Rover, the Mk2 the Yeti and the Foes could use a good workout, depending on the dates I may cruise out.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Just got back from Moab/Fruita on Sunday. Don't miss the Sovereign trail or the Kokopelli to Porcupine Rim ride. I did Sovereign in a sand storm and still had fun and the Kokopelli (UPS, MPS, LPS, Porcupine) is 27 miles of pure bliss.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BAH, make sure you hook up porcy and amasaback...coming down off of amasaback is a blast...

We will expect a major ride report.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Have fun man, looks like my plans for going in the Fall are "falling thru". Oh well, i think the only reason i want to go is just to say i've been haha, i've heard from freinds that the trails aren't all that, but i think i'd like the purty colors of the rocks.:)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Skookum said:
<snip> i've heard from freinds that the trails aren't all that, but i think i'd like the purty colors of the rocks.:)
Don't listen to the smug bahstids. The trails (OK, most of them are jeep trails) are killer. Actually, on second thought, just pass the Moab exit and head to Fruita. :D

The rocks *are* purdy.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SkaredShtles said:
Don't listen to the smug bahstids. The trails (OK, most of them are jeep trails) are killer. Actually, on second thought, just pass the Moab exit and head to Fruita. :D

The rocks *are* purdy.
i really wanna ride Porcupine Rim, the whole shebang, really fast...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
You thinks? I felt like it was sort of a tourist trap...I have riddent that trail a bunch and i never get that excited about it.
Yep - I've always thought it was a fantastic trail. I've probably ridden it a dozen times. It may actually *be* a tourist trap trail, but I've always ridden it in the early a.m. or later p.m. and always had a good time.

I :love: those steep ups and downs. The only gripe is the sand. :mumble:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
Yep - I've always thought it was a fantastic trail. I've probably ridden it a dozen times. It may actually *be* a tourist trap trail, but I've always ridden it in the early a.m. or later p.m. and always had a good time.

I :love: those steep ups and downs. The only gripe is the sand. :mumble:
Yeah, BAH...If you are going to ride slickrock, i really think its worth taking a pair of basically worn out tires...I rode it with knobs, and they are kind of annoying on the steep up's and downs...

Skared, yeah that sand sucks in those few spots where you are connecting rocks...

How bout that big ass ledge in slickrock that you have to haul ass at through the sand to try and make it up...tough...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BAH, when are you going? I'll be there this weekend.

<rant>Why is it every time I go to Moab, I get sick??? I've got a freakin head cold that's kickin my ass. Happens every time. Hopefully it'll clear up a bit before friday...</rant>

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
OGRipper said:
I'll be out there end of May/beginning of June. Planning Porc, Amasa, Bartlett for sure, maybe Sovereign, Portal...damn I can't wait.
OGR, I'll be there somewhere around the first week of june. If you're still there then we should get to gether for a ride.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dfinn said:
OGR, I'll be there somewhere around the first week of june. If you're still there then we should get to gether for a ride.
Sweet! Right now I am planning May 27 - June 3 (week of memorial day). Going with my girl and need people to ride with so let me know.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Plans are not set in stone yet but I'm pretty sure I will be there at some point that following week. I don't think I'm going to be spending a full week there. I have some friends who have land in CO so we are going to camp there some, I hear it's close to Fruita so I'll probably be getting in some riding there too.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Im leaving town on May 2 and getting back the 8th. I think its a 2 day drive. We will be going pretty much non stop though I think. We should be getting there on the 3rd and leaving on the 7th..

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BAH said:
yessss. If it doesn't work out, I'll rent a bike..
Derek, do yourself a favor and rent a nomad or some other premium all mountain trail bike, i believe you can get them at chili's (a bike shop across the street from poison spider) for about 65 per day, it will really enhance your experience.

I rode my burly hardtail with a 36 and 185mm rotors which was really barley enought to rip some of the stuff as fast as i wanted...

6 and 6 bikes were made for moab...

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Derek, do yourself a favor and rent a nomad or some other premium all mountain trail bike, i believe you can get them at chili's (a bike shop across the street from poison spider) for about 65 per day, it will really enhance your experience.

I rode my burly hardtail with a 36 and 185mm rotors which was really barley enought to rip some of the stuff as fast as i wanted...

6 and 6 bikes were made for moab...
I might do that just for comforts sake but I'm on the slowing down side of mtn biking :) I'd hate to have to call all the brides that have scheduled me for the next few months and say I can't photograph because I broke my hand/arm in a mtn biking accident :)

Zia Monkey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2004
So you've never ridden with this guy? Make sure he's not a novice or it coud ruin your trip. Sorry.... I'm having a glass half empty kind of a day.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Zia Monkey said:
So you've never ridden with this guy? Make sure he's not a novice or it coud ruin your trip. Sorry.... I'm having a glass half empty kind of a day.
It's a good point, but I already made sure :)

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Just got back from Moab...weather is freakin perfect. 3 days, two rides a day...can't get better. Drove in Last Thursday and did Klondike Bluffs to Baby Steps with this brand new singletrack inbetween. Friday morning did Flat Pass via the road and in the afternoon did Amasa Back (There were base jumpers off one of the bluffs). Saturday did Porcupine Rim and then Gemini Bridges. Sunday we left but hit Soverign on the way out. I'd skip Jax and go to a real pizza joint. Paid ten bucks a person and the pizza was like 75% dough. I eat a lot but al I could do was 6 slices. Should just bought a couple of real pizzas.