Quantcast

I'm going to scream - now the HEAD TUBE ANGLE?!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I know, she posts this thread and gets tons of comments, I post a thread that's bike related (my hands) and all I get are comments that I'm too old! WTF! ;) :)

Feb 13, 2006
Qman said:
I tend to buy all my bikes with this being the main way I decide.
That bike does look too small for you. My wife is the same height and is perfect on a S Burner.
As far as head tube angle, I'm told you really need to consider your style/type of riding. More XC, you probably want 70+. More DH, you want <69.
Personally, I like 69 as a good 'all around' angle.
1) Why does it look "too small," Qman?

2) What are your reference points for head tube angles? Am I required to cease all forms of XC on a bike with less than 71 degrees, which means that I must stop doing anything but "more DH" on all 4 of my MTBs, all of which have HAs of 70deg or slacker? Or is there some secret logic at work here that I've been inable to grasp, and once I do, my ability to ride XC will magically improve once my head tube angles steepen a bit?

Wait, I should be clear.

(2) is a joke, tongue in cheek.

(2) refers to the fact that there are no universals. Head tube angles are steeper on the vast majority of bikes -- which in your mind makes them bikes designed for XC -- because newbies don't yet know how to use the techniques that would keep the front wheel planted when climbing, and because they ride at slower speeds in less technical terrain.

Modern XC racing is, on most tracks, a dirt criterium with more resemblance to road crits than to the majority of the XC rides I do.

I prefer to avoid steep head angles so that I can ride steep technical terrain without having to get waaaaaaaaay back on my bike most of the time.

And MBC should use whatever head angle she finds works for her in her chosen or preferred terrain, not some loose guideline like that which you have outlined above, and which I teasingly mocked in (2).:)

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
MMcG said:
I know, she posts this thread and gets tons of comments, I post a thread that's bike related (my hands) and all I get are comments that I'm too old! WTF! ;) :)
I'm sorry your hands hurt, but I didn't have an answer.

Actually, I rode an NRS and broke my carbon bars. I tried ProTapers for a bit and my hands hurt. I put carbon back on and poof, all better. Now I ride 31.8 aluminum bars on everything and my hands are fine.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So let's summarize this thread:

It's all about MBC and usually is.
MBC needs to just buy the bike already.
MMcG owes beer to Splat, IAB, and McGRP01.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
splat said:
do they want my FULL size pics ?
That would awesome to reply and tell them that you had some bigger pics like they requested. :rofl:

Does she mean they think the XS is too small?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I Are Baboon said:
So let's summarize this thread:

It's all about MBC and usually is.
MBC needs to just buy the bike already.
MMcG owes beer to Splat, IAB, and McGRP01.
Actually MMcG owes me a beer too.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
MtnBikerChk said:
yes, that's what she (me) means.
I know my opinion was not solicited, but the best thing I ever did for a trail bike was to get a snick longer TT and a shorter stem. My bike still climbs well, drops fine, and the short stem quickens up the steering to make up for the slack HA.