Quantcast

I'm going tubeless soon... wheel build poll.

The most bang for the buck?

• XT Disc Hub

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Hugi 240 Disc Hub

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Spinergy Xyclone Disc Hub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris King Disk Hub

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am going to go tubeless on my XC bike. These are my choices starting from the least costly to the most costly.

Shimano XT dicc, DT Swiss, Mavic X3.1 $299.00

Hugi 240 Disc, DT Swiss, Mavic X3.1 $499.00

Spinergy Xyclone Disc, DT Swiss, Mavic X3.1 $569.00

Chris King, DT Swiss, Mavic X3.1 $699.00 skewers are extra :rolleyes:

The lightest sets are the Hugi and Xyclone, I have always heard that Hugi hubs were tanks but…?

I have also heard bad things about XT hubs but I’ve never had any problems with the standard or disk variety I still have a set from 1997 and they are smooth as butter.

I have already decided against Chris King, too many dollars for my unemployed ass. :monkey:

What are your thoughts on the other builds?

Now what about skinny tires? Trail conditions around here in the winter tend to be leafy and soupy, much like spring and fall in the NE.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
XT's are solid simple and easily serviced and they'll need service. The freehub is the weak part. And they make good boat anchors.

Hugi 240 disc hubs are one of the lighter ones available. The bearing will probably not need much service ever but can be replaced if and when its needed. The freehub uses a star ratchet and is really easy to service with zero tools. You ever notice how your centered disc becomes uncentered when you remove then reinstall the wheel? That's because the locknuts are not perfectly square with the axle. Not so with the Hugis. They go in straight everytime. Very accurately made hubs.

Spinergy. Never seen them.

Chris King. Very expensive up here but they're reputation is stellar. I have seen one pulled apart and they look bomber too and are easily rebuildable if they need it. I think if you're really hard on equipment, they might be a better choice than the Hugi.

The 240 set up you describe would cost in the neighbourhood of $900 Canadian.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by oldfart
Hugi 240 disc hubs are one of the lighter ones available. The bearing will probably not need much service ever but can be replaced if and when its needed. The freehub uses a star ratchet and is really easy to service with zero tools. You ever notice how your centered disc becomes uncentered when you remove then reinstall the wheel? That's because the locknuts are not perfectly square with the axle. Not so with the Hugis. They go in straight everytime. Very accurately made hubs.
Hugi hubs are very popular with the tandem and touring crowd, I've heard they are excellent high mileage hubs but I'd also heard they were heavy. Looks like times have changed. :)

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Chris King, DT Swiss, Mavic X3.1 $699.00 skewers are extra :rolleyes:
I have really been liking my CK hubs. At first I had to adjust them and I did that 3 times, but now they are solid and I have not had to touch them. The sound doesn't bother me either. I only notice it when I am going really slow.
As for that price however...I don't normally pimp out my shop, but e-mail me or PM me it could save you some cash!

Josh@motionboy.com

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Motionboy2
I don't normally pimp out my shop, but e-mail me or PM me it could save you some cash!
Yes, my shop already told me they could not do so well on the Chris Kings - someone else said they could get the same set built for under $600.00. My LBS can only get Chris King hubs through quality... they seem high.

Thanks for the offer, I know you offered to make me a deal on my Chorus group last fall but... I'm loyal to my LBS and will try to work with what they have access too.

Plus Echo said he'd beat my ass if I didn't. :eek:

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
My XT's have been fine. The best I used have been the Hopes (unbreakable). No Kings for me yet but man, the cool factor... If you say it don't mean nothin' you're lieing to me!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs- even lighter than the Hugi by a couple grams, sealed cartidge bearings that are easily replaced, and they're cheap!!!

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Yes, my shop already told me they could not do so well on the Chris Kings - someone else said they could get the same set built for under $600.00. My LBS can only get Chris King hubs through quality... they seem high.

Thanks for the offer, I know you offered to make me a deal on my Chorus group last fall but... I'm loyal to my LBS and will try to work with what they have access too.

Plus Echo said he'd beat my ass if I didn't. :eek:
No problem, Just trying to help a monkey out. :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
XT hubs work fine, I used one on my DH bike for 2 seasons and it's still going strong. But they are heavy, really heavy.

Of the options you listed considering your situation, the Hugi's are probably the best bet. I have a Hugi 240 on the rear of my Jekyll, it's been great, although I do have to tighten it up a little more often than I think I should. But it's really easy to do.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Hugi hubs are excellent and given your price concerns would be my choice.

XT hubs are good, reliable hubs at a great price, but are kinda heavy if you're building a light-ish bike.

No knowledge of the Spinergy's.

King's are the best. But you pay for it. Simple as that.

Hope's are another good choice. Similar to Hugi in price yet very competitive with regards to weight.

White Industries also sells some good, very light disc hubs that are not insanely expensive.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well it looks like I'm a cheap date. I'm buying a set for of XTs for $170.00... I guess the choice between bling and cheap is clear.

Originally posted by Ian F
Hugi hubs are excellent and given your price concerns would be my choice.

XT hubs are good, reliable hubs at a great price, but are kinda heavy if you're building a light-ish bike.

No knowledge of the Spinergy's.

King's are the best. But you pay for it. Simple as that.

Hope's are another good choice. Similar to Hugi in price yet very competitive with regards to weight.

White Industries also sells some good, very light disc hubs that are not insanely expensive.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Well it looks like I'm a cheap date. I'm buying a set for of XTs for $170.00... I guess the choice between bling and cheap is clear.
I would have given you a rear XT disc hub for free.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by special O
wtb laserdisc lite = american classic i think
Nope, the AC and Hugi 240 are the same. The WTB is more durable, and 5 grams lighter. I love mine.

Oh yeah, that full twist lacing pattern in an earlier reply, very pimp. I have the WTB LDL hubs laced to 317 rims with DT Revo 15/17 spokes in a 3 cross on one side and a full twist on the other. I love funky wheels that perform.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Originally posted by El Jefe
Nope, the AC and Hugi 240 are the same. The WTB is more durable, and 5 grams lighter. I love mine.

Not really. The American Classic and the WTB are nearly indentical with the WTB having a different flange and one other minor difference that escapes me at the moment. I've rode a set of Hugi 240/317 wheels for the past 2 years with no trouble, just occasional lubrication of the rear hub. If you are looking for light and tubeless, it doesn't get any lighter than our new rims (ZTR 355) with AC hubs. Depending on your weight, we can build them as light as 1380 grams sealed and ready for standard (or UST) tires in a tubeless application. Your LBS can order these direct from us and you still give them the business. If you're stuck on the Mavic UST solution and the hub choices you listed, I'd go for the Hugis.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Mike B.
Your LBS can order these direct from us and you still give them the business. If you're stuck on the Mavic UST solution and the hub choices you listed, I'd go for the Hugis.
No... I'm not stuck. I just have not heard of this option... tell me more like $$$ (I know what % my LBS has to make on the deal) Please PM me the details. I weight 165 and am not an aggressive rider.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Originally posted by oldfart
What's wrong with UST?
Heavier rims, heavier tires, relatively poor tire selection (IOW no ZMax's) and when you get a pinch flat you have to put a tube in your already heavy wheelset........ I've already tossed my rear UST tire and am running a tube w/ZMax.

Although I've heard some folks don't have any problems with their USTs. As always, YMMV.

Here's some tube/tubeless humor: http://www.yestubes.com/

-S.S.-

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It is true that tire selection is not as good, but there are good UST tires available. Some rims like the X-3.1 are heavier than say a 317 and by a fair bit too. But Stan's rim strips are an alternative. Personally I'm not particularly keen on using any goo because I change tires to suit conditions fairly frequently. I may try it for racing next year as the weight savings can be considerable.

I've on tubeless for about a year and a half and I'm getting far fewer flats. I used to get about 7 or 8 flats a year but since going UST only 4. Two of those would have flatted any tire being a 4 inch spike and something similar.

I think you need to look at your needs (desires) and UST can be a better thing. There is a ton of missinformation out there about UST.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I must have looked a 50 different XC UST specific tires on the net... I ended up ordering a set of Continental Vertical Pros. If I don't like them there are plenty of other options.

I've heard plenty of good and bad about UST - my eyes are open. I have decided to go cheap on my first set... just in case I don't like them. X3.1 laced to XTs for $170.00, if I get serious about them I can bling out later. If I don'tlike them I'm not out a ton of cash and could probably get 1/2 my money back on eBay.

special O

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
ive had real good luck just using regular tires (mostly WTB) on UST rims (crossmax xl) with some stans sealant

only time ive gotten a flat is when my fluid dried up and once i got a 1/2 cut in my tire that just wouldn't seal up completely. I could still ride but had to put air in every 5-10 mins.

i will never go back to tubes. and changing tires isn't really a problem, i just pour the sealant from one tire to another.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
I ended up ordering a set of Continental Vertical Pros. If I don't like them there are plenty of other options.
very nice tires, been riding mine for a few months. a little weighty, but when you weigh 175, whats a few grams...