Quantcast

I'm gonna build a big jump... need advice

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
So I'm thinking of riding the BMX Masters pro dirt class next year. I've been talking a bit to the organizers about adding an old-school class, but they seem to not wanna go in that direction. They added a girls class, so why not an old-school class? I know plenty of 30+ year old guys that can still kick it. So to press the situation, I've decided to say fvck it and ride anyway. So now I need a monster jump to train on. What I saw at the Masters this year was a damn big first jump. Looks to be around a 10' lip and a 12' lander with about a 25' gap. I have a friend with land who said I can build a jump as big as I want. Check this video...

Now if I build the lip out of wood, what do you guys think I should do? 10' tall/14' transition? Looking for ideas. Basically I want the jump to be so scary that when I get there, what they have ain't sh!t

Kidwoo and ZachDank, lemme hear from ya.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
These two/three lips are some of the bigger jumps I've ridden. They're a good example because even though I didn't build them, I know the radius. They're all 20 foot trannys standing about 7 feet tall. Pretty mellow but certainly big enough to put you up when hit with speed. If you build a 10' tall lip with a 14 foot tranny, that's going to be a friggin quarter pipe.

I'm betting the bigger lips in that clip are definitely more drawn out than 14 feet. The gaps on the pics I posted were about 30-35 feet. They've since been pussified but I got to ride them a bunch before that happened, so I know what they felt like. But if you go with something closer to 20' for a radius, half that height (10feet) will give you a 60 degree angle (I just built something similar: half the height of a radius). I think 60 degrees is definitely in the realm of boost without being too much of a flat distance sender.

With a legit 10 foot lip, you're going to be mobbing at this thing just to even get over it. No need to go any tighter and make it abrupt. Draw that beyotch out.

I paused that clip you posted in a few spots and I'd be willing to bet those lips are shorter than 10 feet in my opinion. But hey if that's where you want to go, that would be sick.
Mobbing it at ANY 10 foot lip is going to really fun the first few times :D

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
that lake jump we rode earlier this summer was supposedly 6'6" tall with 16 foot radius.
http://vimeo.com/11981288

u gonna build a roll-in too? (but i guess you don't need to, living in the colorado mountains and all..........)

Last edited:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
I don't know anything about numbers other than we build our big sets with 8 foot tall lips, and long as$ trannys.
That'd b sick as hell if you ride in that comp dude. You got the skillz fo sho.

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
I don't know anything about numbers other than we build our big sets with 8 foot tall lips, and long as$ trannys.
That'd b sick as hell if you ride in that comp dude. You got the skillz fo sho.

Thanks dude... Oh make no mistake about it, I'm prepared to get dead fvcking last... I just wanna push the issue with getting older dudes represented, even if that means spending a bunch of money on flights and getting carted off on a stretcher.

So am I just way off or is that first jump around 10" lip?

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
These two/three lips are some of the bigger jumps I've ridden. They're a good example because even though I didn't build them, I know the radius. They're all 20 foot trannys standing about 7 feet tall. Pretty mellow but certainly big enough to put you up when hit with speed. If you build a 10' tall lip with a 14 foot tranny, that's going to be a friggin quarter pipe.

I'm betting the bigger lips in that clip are definitely more drawn out than 14 feet. The gaps on the pics I posted were about 30-35 feet. They've since been pussified but I got to ride them a bunch before that happened, so I know what they felt like. But if you go with something closer to 20' for a radius, half that height (10feet) will give you a 60 degree angle (I just built something similar: half the height of a radius). I think 60 degrees is definitely in the realm of boost without being too much of a flat distance sender.

With a legit 10 foot lip, you're going to be mobbing at this thing just to even get over it. No need to go any tighter and make it abrupt. Draw that beyotch out.

I paused that clip you posted in a few spots and I'd be willing to bet those lips are shorter than 10 feet in my opinion. But hey if that's where you want to go, that would be sick.
Mobbing it at ANY 10 foot lip is going to really fun the first few times :D
yeah that first pic is nuts man... zero margin for error.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Thanks dude... Oh make no mistake about it, I'm prepared to get dead fvcking last... I just wanna push the issue with getting older dudes represented, even if that means spending a bunch of money on flights and getting carted off on a stretcher.

So am I just way off or is that first jump around 10" lip?
Man it's close. I might call it 9. Who knows.
I'd make your lip 8-9 and put a mellow drawn out tranny but not to level of those wooden kickers in Woo's pic. Those things are a bit too mellow for what you gona b riding. Fuzzy is starting to get the lips a little steeper now.
$hit i might be building the Dew Tour jumps soon. Nasty and all them fools want our crew to take over.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
I here ya. But them comp jumps 10 foot or not really aren't scarry at all. Man it's so easy to ride that $hit compared to local sets that are small with fvcked off trannys and tight wack bowls.
That $hit will be effortless and super fun to ride for you. Bet the house on it.

Giant sets built right = easy

Small sets built squirly = injured

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
why not go ride that kids 50 footer, where ever he lives...? Road trip!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I here ya. But them comp jumps 10 foot or not really aren't scarry at all. Man it's so easy to ride that $hit compared to local sets that are small with fvcked off trannys and tight wack bowls.
That $hit will be effortless and super fun to ride for you. Bet the house on it.

Giant sets built right = easy

Small sets built squirly = injured
Word.

Those pics I posted were when I though you wanted an honest to god 10 foot lip. I was just using those for a basis because I know for a fact if you go 3 feet higher than the ones in that pic (20ft radius/10 foot tall), you'll get a 60 degree angle at the top......and that would send you to the fvcking moon :D

Since you're building these out of wood, you'll actually need to get some numbers somewhere. The height at half a radius is a good start.......you can go steeper if you want, or mellower. You just don't want to build it too quick so don't go nuts with going too far below that half radius number.