Quantcast

I'm gonna have to hang up DH.And I know I'm gonna be scared about what to do next.

SCARY

Not long enough
I just wrecked really hard at the mx track a week ago.Without listing the injuries right now,I won't be able to walk for 3 mos after this (hopefully)last surgery on Tues.

The reason I need to hang it up is the concussion-#7.I know moto and dh aren't the same,but my head dosent know the difference.I'm 42,I finally got to the goal of turning pro at age 39.The **** part is that I'm actually faster now than 10 years ago-in part to moto,which I didn't start till I was 35.
I have thee best wife in the world and 2 great boys, 15 & 10.She has been nothing but supportive in the last 14 years of racing and seemingly constant injury and surgery that they help me through..You start dooing both sports and they add up really quick.I only did 7 -8 races in moto as I hated blowing a 12 hr day only to sit around all day to get 20 laps in(one time,my Motos where so close together and 1st and 3rd motos,I did them,drove back home ate, showered and laid around,drove back and did the last ones)Anyway,moto has been a training aid for DH,my true love anyway.

Here's the deal though,people are already like "Dude,just chill,get an am bike and keep riding and show these young punks up"I've tried to do that before,it's just not me.Everytime I'm on a bike,I'm preparing for a race,whether or not I only race once or twice a year.I'm pushing myself in a race mentality all the time.It keeps me soo motivated in other areas of my life and I don't think I've acknowledged it to myself or what I'll do when it's gone.

I mean mentally,I AM done.I know I am.But today I was looking at the pics from the S.A race today and I was so bonered up about it,and I'm like "what the hell am I doing to myself"it's gonna be torture until I can funnel that energy to something else.Alot of other sports are either to rich or require too much auto motive mechanical knowledge.

....if you ever wonderd what 7 concussions do to your head ^^^^ it reads like this^^:)
Any feedback is welcome,except the "hey just ride and enjoy nature" thanks,to anyone who can help and maybe offer a perspective maybe I haven't considered --and I don't smoke weed,either.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I know how you feel. I am 29 with 8 concussions, shattered skull and blast damage. I quite riding and racing DH and anything trail oriented as the risk just isn't worth it anymore. I still ride a lot of road though, can't give up two wheels all together.

I have horrible headaches all day, everyday for the past 3 1/2 years, mainly due to the mortar, but I was starting to get bad migraines before that with the concussions.

Hope things heal up fast man!!!!!

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Take up muai thai ;) Just kidding. Imho going AM/EN isn't a bad idea if you can find races. They will keep you motivated and leave you with less concussions.

Worse case scenario what's the rally or some other car scene in your area? It's actually safer for your head and with a proper scene it's fun even in a ****ty car. I've got 2 friends who do local rallys on old crappers and they try to convince me to get into it all the time.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Try road racing? it may not seem as attractive as DH or enduro/AM but it is addictive.

Also as noted by Rufus, it's safer and still two wheels.

Get yourself a decent computer/speedo and every ride becomes a race. Not living in the US I can't say how easy it is to find groups to ride with but it shouldn't be too hard and it adds that extra competitive edge.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I can't say much about your mental state, but I hope you heal up and feel better soon!
You'll know what to do when its time to do it.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
A few options -

- Skateboarding: cheap, very difficult to get really good at, guaranteed to give you lots to work on. If you have concussion issues stay away from large half pipes; try street skating.

- Kiteboarding: not too expensive, get to catch a lot of air. Make sure to wear a lid.

- Windsurfing: if you're worried about concussions kiteboarding, try windsurfing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Who do the ride with? I am a very competitive person myself, but when I ride with just my close friends it is often a much more relaxed and casual event. Sure, we 'race' around and push eachother but at the end of the day we are there to have fun. If I'm around other people that I don't know as well or at all, thats when my competitive mentality really comes out.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Forgive my ignorance but what does your 7 concussions have to do with it?
I'm your age (well I will be in a few weeks) and have been concussed more times than I can remember (hmmm...) a fair few times as a kid a few times from Rugby in my teens, a good few from being too drunk over the last 25years or so and the remainder from riding bikes.

I gave up racing a few years (7 IIRC) back now as I simply lost the competitive urge (partly from an injury messing up the mental side of my "race head" and partly from racing for 14+ years) I still ride DH, XC/AM, BMX and a bit of jumping.. I too believe I am a faster/smoother/better rider than I was 10 years ago but nowhere near as fit and a fair bit heavier.
I also have a very understanding/supportive GF and 5 kids, ex's to deal with etc, ..not even sure why i'm telling you this.. oh, yeah.. my point is just that most 40+ riders/racers have lots of non biking commitments too and there's nothing wrong with cutting down/quitting racing to spend more time with family, you can actually ride way more.. A National DH race here can involve travelling 10hours on a friday night, walking the track in the morning before getting a whole 6 practice runs in the 8 hour practice session, on the sunday, getting up early for one last practice run then a huge wait until your race run later in the day before packing up and heading home to find your family asleep and a days work ahead of you with very little sleep. in contrast, today I've managed to nip out for 2 XC rides straight from my door while still spending quality time with my family, managing about 6 times as much riding as I'd get over an entire weekend at a DH race. (XC doesn't have to be dull either, I ride a short travel DJ hardtail for all XC rides as if you are a decent DHer it won't slow you down much on the fun bits but spices it up a bit)

This may sound harsh but it doesn't sound to me like you actually like riding all that much if you are contemplating giving up all together just 'cause you want to give up racing to limit injury.

SCARY

Not long enough
If you don't know the damage several hard concussions can do over the years,you at want tolook into it.your last point is mostly true.I like riding on the edge of my abilities too much.I already rode alot less than alot of other my speed and I constantly fought to find the line of riding to get faster and not get bored with.I got bored /frustrated with mx too.As not being as fast as I wanted would end up on the ground quick.So you are kindof right comparing it to other interests in my life,it's not biking persay I'm inlove with .Dh is just such a perfect sport for
me,being said.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Forgive my ignorance but what does your 7 concussions have to do with it?
I'm your age (well I will be in a few weeks) and have been concussed more times than I can remember (hmmm...) a fair few times as a kid a few times from Rugby in my teens, a good few from being too drunk over the last 25years or so and the remainder from riding bikes.
Ummm, ya dood, multiple concussion is a SERIOUS medical issue. Ever heard of Troy Aikman?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Aikman

Multiple concussions cost him a $70M contract. If you're racking up consussions left and right its time to get out of the sport, or wear a better helmet, or ride within your skill level. Your head isn't your knees or wrists or something. DEFINITELY don't want to take chances with it. I don't really understand how so many amateurs in this sport get concussions. Are some people just more prone? Or do some people ride wayyy faster relative to their skill than me and the guys I ride with?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No. never heard of him, I'm from the UK and we don't really follow US ball sports.
the Wiki link didn't really help, What's so special about 10 concussions? (I've def had way more than that BTW) but rarely ever hit my head these days (even drunk ;) ), so much so I don't wear a helmet at all for local XC riding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey scary, are you looking for another physical activity to replace it? or are you open to things that aren't necessarily physically active hobbies?

SCARY

Not long enough
Id say physically demanding would be a priority, but at this point I don't know how far I can recover.Some stuff is pretty messed up,right now.I've been looking at UTV offroad racing and stuff like that,but it's still so freaking expensive and I'm a lousy mechanic.Actually I know nothing.I gotta recover,maybe just give myself a break from my self imposed pressure I put on myself,hopefully reset without getting fat.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
If you're racking up consussions left and right its time to get out of the sport, or wear a better helmet, or ride within your skill level. Your head isn't your knees or wrists or something. DEFINITELY don't want to take chances with it. I don't really understand how so many amateurs in this sport get concussions. Are some people just more prone? Or do some people ride wayyy faster relative to their skill than me and the guys I ride with?
gemini2k, there is something to be said for that.....after getting concused freeriding during the US Open 2 yrs ago I switched to Moto helmets and slowed down a tad. I'm old as f#@$ and it isn't like we're racing for the new Mercedes plus whats behind door #1.

J

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you could always start 'roiding and go into the "worlds strongest man" competitions.

what about trail running?

triathlons?

if you're on the hunt for something not so physical to get your racing bug on, check out racing rc cars. a cousin of mine got big into that after he was paralyzed racing motocross.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm old as f#@$ and it isn't like we're racing for the new Mercedes plus whats behind door #1.

J
Ya I think when I turned 25 a year ago I started to relax a bit. I realized I don't really have anything to prove. And I'd rather be able to ride for the next 20 years. I'm only at one (really mild) concussion, and that was doing stupid xc sh*t. Let's hope that stands. But I'm a big believer in getting a new moto helmet ever ~12 months or so. I also ski with my moto helmet too. People look at me pretty funny.

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
ever thought about getting into rally cross?

funny enough Top Gear did a feature about that like last week, it seems to be a really affordable yet comeptitive and regarding concussions safe sport.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Crossfit?

For realz, I'm not sure what the wet options are where you live, but you may consider kayaking. Just stay away from big water (class 2 and under rapids should be no sweat) and perhaps consider some long distance camping trips on flat(ish) water.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
What about rock climbing or BMX? Both are great sports, but also things that you could do with your boys...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
. I don't really understand how so many amateurs in this sport get concussions. Are some people just more prone? Or do some people ride wayyy faster relative to their skill than me and the guys I ride with?

Had a sh!tteee pair of Hayes on a sx trail last year and barely tapped the front brake lever and NO MODULATION I've tapped the front a smidge periodically but this was solid locked and over the bars off the ladder drop into the rocks down below. Have yet to be knocked out or crap myself in all 7 concussions and shattered skull but there's still time. I'm not a beginner but things happen like lawn darting into rocks.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
No. never heard of him, I'm from the UK and we don't really follow US ball sports.
the Wiki link didn't really help, What's so special about 10 concussions? (I've def had way more than that BTW) but rarely ever hit my head these days (even drunk ;) ), so much so I don't wear a helmet at all for local XC riding.
You are an idiot, seriously.

There is no way that you have had more than 10 concussions in your life without any negative side effects and/or lingering medical issues.

We aren't talking about bumps on the head that make you dizzy, but serious, violent head injuries that can cause memory loss, terrible headaches, nausea, strokes, a constant vegetative state, swelling and bleeding of the brain causing death, etc. Seven is a serious number to be at for recurring concussions before these, and many other, medical issues start to arise and become permanent.

If you have had "way more than that", and are riding xc or anything else that puts you at risk for hitting your head, and not wearing a helmet, then you are an idiot and I hope that you enjoy someone constantly wiping the drool from you chin as you sit in your motorized wheelchair licking windows.

Gemini2K, once you get around the three concussion mark, you brain is more vulnerable to head injury, even with a small hit to the head. I will admit that my first few while racing DH was because of riding beyond my ability with a TLD D2 and not swapping to a new one after a bad crash. If I started now and was riding with a D3 or the like, I would feel more confident.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You are an idiot, seriously.

There is no way that you have had more than 10 concussions in your life without any negative side effects and/or lingering medical issues.
I'm actually gonna have to go ahead and agree here. That many concussions will cause permanent neurological damage.

Gary is either:

A) full of sh*t, and exaggerating how many concussions he's had

or

B) so stupid in the first place that nearly a dozen concussions didn't make a difference in his cognitive capacity

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
I'm 40 and have been banged up and put back together more times than I can remember (including the odd concussion here and there). Every time I get hurt and can't ride, I just enjoy more time at home by banging my old lady every chance I get. It's amazing how much more time for f*cking I have when I'm too hurt to go ride. Try it. Treat her like a pin cushion. Maybe she'll like it. Maybe not. MOAR boning = good.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rufus - Don't call me an idiot, Seems you need to actually look up the definition of the word "concussion" before spouting utter **** about what it is or is not "concussion". Don't get all helmet Nazi on me either, if I choose to ride local trails I know extremely well without a polystyrene pudding bowl strapped to my head for protection it's entirely my decision to make.

Jon - No I'm neither full of **** or exaggerating and please don't be a prick by insulting my intelligence.

FWIW. No I won't ever really know for sure what impact all those concussions have had on my cognitive capacity.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rufus - Don't call me an idiot, Seems you need to actually look up the definition of the word "concussion" before spouting utter **** about what it is or is not "concussion". Don't get all helmet Nazi on me either, if I choose to ride local trails I know extremely well without a polystyrene pudding bowl strapped to my head for protection it's entirely my decision to make.

Jon - No I'm neither full of **** or exaggerating and please don't be a prick by insulting my intelligence.

FWIW. No I won't ever really know for sure what impact all those concussions have had on my cognitive capacity.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I don't need to insult your intelligence. You do a good enough a job by yourself with your preposterous bullsh*t claims.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO

I am a neurology student with my main thesis being on head injuries in sports, so I know exactly what a concussion is and the the effects.

I also have my fair share of major head trauma as well.

But thanks for playing!!!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
if I choose to ride local trails I know extremely well without a polystyrene pudding bowl strapped to my head for protection it's entirely my decision to make.
That's cool, do you carry a DNR card to save us the cost of medical services (taxes, insurance, etc)? Do your friends you ride with know not to call emergency services if you crash? (so again, you can take responsibility). Have your family members signed waivers stating that they will not sue government/businesses that might be associated with where you're riding or what happens when you crash? If you do all of these things, my hat is off to you for taking responsibility for your actions. If not, then I'm not suprised. "Taking responsibility" is more than just words and riding without a helmet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am a neurology student with my main thesis being on head injuries in sports, so I know exactly what a concussion is and the the effects.

I also have my fair share of major head trauma as well.

But thanks for playing!!!
never knew you were in the field roofie. A family member of mine is a neurologist; we've had extensive discussions about the potential for long term sustained injuries resulting from head trauma. A lot of it specifically because I race DH and her son - who's now 13 - wants to start riding downhill.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Concussion*

Definition
Concussion is a trauma-induced change in mental status, with confusion and amnesia, and with or without a brief loss of consciousness.

Description
A concussion occurs when the head hits or is hit by an object, or when the brain is jarred against the skull, with sufficient force to cause temporary loss of function in the higher centers of the brain. The injured person may remain conscious or lose consciousness briefly, and is disoriented for some minutes after the blow. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 300,000 people sustain mild to moderate sports-related brain injuries each year, most of them young men between 16 and 25.
While concussion usually resolves on its own without lasting effect, it can set the stage for a much more serious condition. "Second impact syndrome" occurs when a person with a concussion, even a very mild one, suffers a second blow before fully recovering from the first. The brain swelling and increased intracranial pressure that can result is potentially fatal. More than 20 such cases have been reported since the syndrome was first described in 1984.

Causes and symptoms

Causes
Most concussions are caused by motor vehicle accidents and sports injuries. In motor vehicle accidents, concussion can occur without an actual blow to the head. Instead, concussion occurs because the skull suddenly decelerates or stops, which causes the brain to be jarred against the skull. Contact sports, especially football, hockey, and boxing, are among those most likely to lead to concussion. Other significant causes include falls, collisions, or blows due to bicycling, horseback riding, skiing, and soccer.
The risk of concussion from football is extremely high, especially at the high school level. Studies show that approximately one in five players suffer concussion or more serious brain injury during their brief high-school careers. The rate at the collegiate level is approximately one in 20. Rates for hockey players are not known as certainly, but are believed to be similar.
Concussion and lasting brain damage is an especially significant risk for boxers, since the goal of the sport is, in fact, to deliver a concussion to the opponent. For this reason, the American Academy of Neurology has called for a ban on boxing. Repeated concussions over months or years can cause cumulative head injury. The cumulative brain injuries suffered by most boxers can lead to permanent brain damage. Multiple blows to the head can cause "punch-drunk" syndrome or dementia pugilistica, as evidenced by Muhammaed Ali, whose parkinsonism is a result of his career in the ring.
Young children are likely to suffer concussions from falls or collisions on the playground or around the home. Child abuse is, unfortunately, another common cause of concussion.

Symptoms
Symptoms of concussion include:
headache
disorientation as to time, date, or place
confusion
dizziness
vacant stare or confused expression
incoherent or incomprehensible speech
incoordination or weakness
amnesia for the events immediately preceding the blow
nausea or vomiting
double vision
ringing in the ears

These symptoms may last from several minutes to several hours. More severe or longer-lasting symptoms may indicate more severe brain injury. The person with a concussion may or may not lose consciousness from the blow; if so, it will be for several minutes at the most. More prolonged unconsciousness indicates more severe brain injury.

The severity of concussion is graded on a three-point scale, used as a basis for treatment decisions.

Grade 1: no loss of consciousness, transient confusion, and other symptoms that resolve within 15 minutes.

Grade 2: no loss of consciousness, transient confusion, and other symptoms that require more than 15 minutes to resolve.

Grade 3: loss of consciousness for any period.

Days or weeks after the accident, the person may show signs of:
headache
poor attention and concentration
memory difficulties
anxiety
depression
sleep disturbances
light and noise intolerance
Hope this helps you out with your studies

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have had more concussions than I can remember. One of which I forgot about a month of my life completely. All of mine were football with the exception of one on my DH bike. I feel for you and hopefully your find something that suits you.

-Brett