Quantcast

I'm high on crack

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Just discovered a pair of cracks on my yakuza's swingarm. It looks like it was overtightened and the CNC bit broke underneath. It looks like the hardware may have worn the frame and caused a bit of a gap, and then when the bolts were tightened, the frame cracked. I've since added a spacer, and the cracks do not seem to get worse with the shock in and tightened down.

Should I be concerned about this, or just go for it? Cracks are usually dealbreakers, but I don't ride super hard or aggressive, and the nature of the crack SUGGESTS that it might not get worse as long as things are tightened down appropriately. I'm not a mechanical engineer so I can't really "eyeball FEA" that section, but it looks like shock forces should be going opposite where the cracks are located.

I'm eyeing up a couple of replacement frames to pilfer the swingarm off of, but riding it would be cheapest.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maybe its just time to break down and put the money into a new frame. you've already pissed away more than enough on used frames.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:(

yep. sold my old one too. Spent nearly nothing on it, and I inspected it as best as possible before buying it.

those turner DHRs are massively tempting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oorrrrr...........

i just got a message from a buddy looking to sell his racelink. serviced by brklyn in '08 and ridden 3 times since

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah let me know what the guy has to say. I can't say I'd really be up for ditching the long top tubes and slack angles of modern frames, but I did love my RL.