Quantcast

I'm I crazy.....

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
For wanting to run a 180mm single crown on my Trek Session? I could feasibly ride some of my local single track to is one big reason and I could dial in the suspension some. i could ride it a few time after the lifts close.The unfortunate thing is that they pretty much cost the same, so I may lose money if I want the go duel crown late on. That's really a for gone conclusion because that what I always do.:confused:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
How about a 40- you can drop it to seven and have the added benefit of steeper geometry for when you're pedaling around.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
How about a 40- you can drop it to seven and have the added benefit of steeper geometry for when you're pedaling around.
I'm thinking less for the aspect of pedaling and more for agility. I see more people running dualies on FR bikes then single crown on full DH rigs to get the best of both worlds. I guess I'm wondering if I'm I going the suffer. I won't be riding any WC caliber courses either and nothing gnarly on the consist bases. I'll probably just stick to the status quo.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
They came stock with them the first year. If you're doing mostly jump trails I could see it. I didn't care for it much when I had a totem on the front of mine, I prefer the extra inch of travel, but its a pretty poppy bike and if you're riding FR trails it would be a good choice I think.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
They came stock with them the first year. If you're doing mostly jump trails I could see it. I didn't care for it much when I had a totem on the front of mine, I prefer the extra inch of travel, but its a pretty poppy bike and if you're riding FR trails it would be a good choice I think.
not going to be riding FR. I was thinking more along the lines of a Totem coil DH or conversion. Found a 09 tapered Totem in great condition for cheap. I did find the wheels I want to buy William42,(DT 240s/FR600) but like so many pinkbike sellers it's hard to communicate, and I have to wonder if they really want to sell their stuff.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have a tapered coil totem that literally came off a session, I have a DH damper and an avy cart for it that I'll sell you for 450 shipped if you're interested. I'll do a fresh rebuild with either one (and send you the spare as well).

I appreciate the stability of the DC's I've had on it (boxxer, 40) and the extra inch. I could see it if your trails aren't that steep, or you're doing jump trails, or its super tech and not a ton of high speed stuff. But if you're doing high speed trails, I'd go with a DC.

If you decide to go single crown, its still a super fun bike, my buddy has a totem on his and loves it. I've just always preferred the DC. You absolutely have to get a tapered though if you do go single crown, 1.125 steer on a 180mm fork is obscenely flexy. I didn't have any flex problems with tapered though.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Here's a pic of a friend checking out my set up:

Even with an old saint crank set and DH tires, 1 DH tube, it's still pretty damn light.

399817_2746676952567_1426833968_32138888_481595612_n.jpg

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm thinking less for the aspect of pedaling and more for agility. I see more people running dualies on FR bikes then single crown on full DH rigs to get the best of both worlds. I guess I'm wondering if I'm I going the suffer. I won't be riding any WC caliber courses either and nothing gnarly on the consist bases. I'll probably just stick to the status quo.
Which will help agility more- a steeper ha at 180mm or a taller/ slacker 180mm sc fork? I would guess option a.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
The listed HA for a session of my generation is 65. But it seems pretty slack with my 180mm already. Probably very close to the stack height of a dual crown.

I wasn't aiming for a freeride set up and I would dual crown it, boxxer world cup likely for the weight, if I had the money. But as it is with the 180 float it's really light, and very capable on everything except the really fast rough DH tracks. Its actually fine riding on those, racing is just kinda sketchy.

The session is not a particularly "deep" traveled bike and rides light so it goes well with what we think of "freeride" these day.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
A few years back, Trek had a demo day that I decided to take one of the original Session 88 FR's (the one that came with a Totem fork) for an XC ride with quite a bit of climbing. It was rough climbing with that thing, but it can be done, and I would much rather do it with a single crown FR fork than a dual crown DH fork.

My wife's "DH" bike has an air sprung Totem, which is actually pretty light and works really well. I'd probably look at something like that, or Fox 180, etc, if I was planning on riding up hills with the Session on a regular basis.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
fwiw my 2009 session 88 FR with a 40 measured out to 64.3˚ HA. No idea what the boxxer measures out to.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
fox 40 can be dropped down to six. i still dont see the benefit of the singlecrown? less A2C to play with, and a middle amount of travel unadjustable... (talas?)

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
I have a tapered coil totem that literally came off a session, I have a DH damper and an avy cart for it that I'll sell you for 450 shipped if you're interested. I'll do a fresh rebuild with either one (and send you the spare as well).
I would have consider it if it were the color I was looking for.

I'm not arguing benefits. It is appealing at the price point that I've found SC. I'm not a pro or a amateur for that matter. I think this era SC are as good as 05 DC and HA standard was 66-65 at the time. I'm not buying tomorrow, I don't think, but a fork will be the next purchase if this wheel deal goes through.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
fox 40 can be dropped down to six. i still dont see the benefit of the singlecrown? less A2C to play with, and a middle amount of travel unadjustable... (talas?)

1.5lbs on the front is significant. And a single crown will do 90% off normal riding without a hitch especially if you're a lighter rider. It just makes the bike more fun when JRA. I'd recommend it for the average rider. If balls-out is JRA for you then perhaps its time to go full on DH.

...And it pisses off DH'ers so much it's hilarious.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Keep in mind that the A2C height for a Boxxer and a Totem are pretty much the same, because the Crown of the Totem is much beefier than the Boxxer ones. So if you mean your bike gets more agile using a SC fork, the change won't influence your bike geometry that much. The only advantage you'll get is the ability of bar spins. And the weight.

Last edited:

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Well, my 180lb days a behind me and technically I'm clyde weight depending on how much Guinness and pizza I have that week. Isn't that what firm springs are for?