Quantcast

I'm in a job realted pickle! (long read)

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Okay, fellow monkeys, I need some advice.

A little history: I worked for company A ad the main job, while working at company B part time. A situation arose at company B in which I took initiative and nominated myself for a job. The job at company B raised my salary to $3.50 per hour more. I got the job at comapny B. This took place in February. I work most all Saturdays and am off work at 7:00 during the week. My wife doesn't see me all that much, but she supports me in doing what I love (bike shop job).

Company A called me and offered me a similar position to what I had before, but with a step up and $1 more per hour with a regular schedule (M-F) with weekends off. I liked working at company A and took the job, knowing (I thought) that company B would react poorly to giving notice and let me go. I thought I was looking forward to 2 weeks off to rest and shift gears.

Here's the pickle: I went in today (on my day off) and told company B that I was offered $2/hour more :devil: and weekends off by comany A. Company B reacted by saying "what's it going to take to keep you?" I wasn't expecting that. Now, I have to come back with what it will take to keep me there.

I like job B and job A, although I've been doing Job B for some time (17 years or so). I'm making more $$ than I ever have. Now I stand to make even more! Weekends are of high value to me, since I'd be able to spend time with my wife. Also, I'd be able to spend more time with my kids (not living with me) if I took the job with company A.

Have any of you been in a situation similar to this? What would you recommend I do?

Thanks for reading!

Tough call.

To me, kids are the most important thing. My little ones are more important to me than my own happiness, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

I doubt that there is enough info in your post to make a decesion like this, but I bet you already know what you want to do and are looking to see if others agree, no?

Trust your first instinct and don't look back.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Well, if you like your wife, here one vote for taking the job that will allow you to spend more time with her. When you look back upon your life, chances are better that you would regret not spending enough time with her more than with your employer.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dude, JOB A!!

Nothing is more precious than time and at job B you have none of it.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Uh I kinda got lost in all the A's and B's, but I'd take the higher paying job, save up some money and in a year or two quit and take an extended vacation.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by stosh
Dude, JOB A!!

Nothing is more precious than time and at job B you have none of it.
Stosh, you always have a way of putting things so succinctly! I'd like to make more money, but spending time with my wife is very important to me. Also, I'd have more time to ride.

Now my question is: do I go back to job A and ask for more money. Start a mild bidding war?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by bikeguy100k
Stosh, you always have a way of putting things so succinctly! I'd like to make more money, but spending time with my wife is very important to me. Also, I'd have more time to ride.

Now my question is: do I go back to job A and ask for more money. Start a mild bidding war?

Ha....thanks I guess!

Anyway I was in a similar but not so similar situation. I wanted to leave a job and the bidding war started. It's kind of a nice feeling but it also kind of sucks.

I would say go with job A unless you need to work extra to pay bills.

Otherwise I would kill to leave my job earlier everyday. Especially this time of year on the east coast.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
If job B wants to know what it will take to keep you, tell them weekends off. That way you will get the raise and the weekends off, if that's what it will really take to keep you there. That is only if you'd like to be working at job B more than A. Otherwise just take A.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I definitely would NOT start a bidding war between the two jobs. The above advice is great, set your priorities straight and try to look at each situation (job) and how it would fit within your priorities. If you want more money rather than more free time, for the love of God start a bidding war if you want to. But judging from what you say, you're already making enough money and want a flexible schedule so that you can enjoy yourself, your wife, and your kids. I like JBP's advice, take it.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Thanks for all the input! I'm going in today and will see what job B has to offer. I'm about 60/40 in favor of job A.

The only thing that can really change my mind right now is if job B offers me enough money, AND as much of a guarantee as he can provide that I'll have room/oppurtunity for growth in the company (a two location bike shop - the store I work at is far more profitable), AND that I've not hit the ceiling for wages, AND the time off I'm requesting.

I like being in this position. I also hate it. I'm not starting a bidding war. If I decide to stay at the bike shop, then I'll just decline the other job. If I leave the bike shop, all this would be forgotten and the other job (job A) will be my focus.

I'll post tonight what happens. Again, thanks for all the input and good advice. The :monkey: has some great people!:D

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Okay, so I went in to work today and "dropped the bomb." It started with a conversation with the owner and he was ready to offer me more money and even weekends off. It took quite a while for me to finally come to a decision and get the time to talk with him. I was ready to drop my keys on his desk and walk from waiting so long! It seemed like he was trying to avoid me!

We sat down and I told him that I felt the other job was an oppurtunity that I could not pass up; that I felt that leaving was the best decision for me. I instantly felt better - not giddy - but a weight was lifted.

I wasn't immediately let go like I thought I was going to be. I'm still on shaky ground as far as that goes, but I really don't care! I'm looking forward to commuting with my wife and spending more time with my kids! Woohoo!:D

This board has been a great tool for processing my thoughts and it's been great to hear all your advice!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by bikeguy100k
Okay, so I went in to work today and "dropped the bomb." It started with a conversation with the owner and he was ready to offer me more money and even weekends off. It took quite a while for me to finally come to a decision and get the time to talk with him. I was ready to drop my keys on his desk and walk from waiting so long! It seemed like he was trying to avoid me!

We sat down and I told him that I felt the other job was an oppurtunity that I could not pass up; that I felt that leaving was the best decision for me. I instantly felt better - not giddy - but a weight was lifted.

I wasn't immediately let go like I thought I was going to be. I'm still on shaky ground as far as that goes, but I really don't care! I'm looking forward to commuting with my wife and spending more time with my kids! Woohoo!:D

This board has been a great tool for processing my thoughts and it's been great to hear all your advice!

A word of advice about RM advice, you can get a good reason for both sides of a decision on here so sometimes it makes it harder however yes RM can be a great place for decision making advice.

Congrats and I didn't know you could now commute with your wife, thats great! Good luck!! For my help you should send me a free bike!! :) J/K