Quantcast

I'm just missing a couple of things - but still seeking advice!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I recently started a new job, and as a result I got paid a good sum of money for unused vacation hours from my old gig so I can add a second bike to my stable.

Here's the rundown of what I've got available right now.

1. 29er Wheelset
2. White Brothers CX1 fork
3. Avid Disc brakes with levers
4. Truvativ Crankset with bb
5. Time Atac Z pedals
6. ODI lockon grips
7. Flat Promoto Bars or low rise Titec hellbents
8. 27.2 mm Syncros Seatpost
9. SDG Satellite Saddle
10. Various stems of different lengths and rise
11. FSA Orbit Xtreme headset
12. 29er tubes
13. 11:34 XT cassette
14. Deore rear shifter (for 1x9)
15. An LX front derailleur that would work on a Niner hardtail

Here's what I don't have:

1. Some newer 29er tires (no biggie - lots of options now)
2. a 29er Frame

Would sorta like to go full suspension, but that gets pricey. Also, would there be a good ss frame to pair up with the CX1? Maybe the new Carver would work well with that fork huh - but can I justify spending a Grand on a frame?

or

I could purchase an inexpensive frame like a Zion 737, or maybe find a used Inbred.

or

I could go custom hardtail of sorts with an fairly unknown builder, who might be able to build me a frame, with one color paint scheme for around $550 or maybe slightly more.

I was sort of leaning back towards a 26" Full suspension bike, but I"ve already got these Bontrager 29er wheels and all these components.......seems like that's telling me right there to stay with the big wheels.

Am I forgetting any full suspension frame options that wouldn't break the bank?

I've already got the Zion 96er that rides nice, so adding another hardtail might not make the most sense. But then again, I could also convert that back to dual 26" wheels or something and ride it geared (but then would it even get ridden?)

Holy cow this is a lot of rambling. I guess I'm just looking for other ideas of what to do with what I currently have available to me and to make the best decision possible.

I welcome your input.

Thanks!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
MMcG: I'd stick with the Inbred idea. There are several reasons why. First, as you noted, they are cheap used. Heck, they are cheap new! Secondly, it would accomodate all but your FS dreams. You could SS it, 1 X 9 it, or go full drive train on it. It works with cantis or discs, so wheel set swaps aren't so limiting. Finally, it rides and handles like a frame twice as expensive. It's really good stuff!

The Carver idea you speak of, is that the new FS design you are talking about? I don't think you will find a FS frame for anything under a grand, well.....not a good one.

And if you are entertaining the idea of an FS, you might go soft tail and buy a used Dos Niner. I just saw a medium frame for $500.00 that is claimed to be only a thrice ridden frameset.

Speaking of Salsa, you could always wait until spring and get a Mamasita frame for just a bit more than $800.00, which would make you quit riding all your other bikes!

Anyway, great to see that things are straightening out for you on the money/ bike front. I hope all else is going better for you too!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I've never actually seen a Q'Ball, so I've no idea, but if it can be had at the price they go for and it has something for a tube set that's lighter than a KM, then it looks stellar. Everybody raves about Scott Quirings work, so I can not see a problem with it, as far as I can see.

It certainly has that, "hey, I'm different" factor that makes it stand out from the hordes of KM's and Inbreds out there, I'll say that much!