Quantcast

I'm liking the new IH type6 proto

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I ride 4000+ feet of verticle each day on a 68 lb brooklyn with a 48t front ring and a 12-24 in the back. man up.
Yeah well that's what some of the comments above sound like to me: BS!! Just trying to figure out if people are really climbing or if we're talking about a couple hundred feet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
OGRipper said:
Yeah well that's what some of the comments above sound like to me: BS!! Just trying to figure out if people are really climbing or if we're talking about a couple hundred feet.
the 36x32t "granny gear" setup i had on my canfield f1 was good for flat ground. ok, maybe a really slight grade...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
the guy doesn't have a brooklyn... nor are there any half decent hills you wouldn't have to climb 5 or 6 times to get 400 vertical in pittsburgh

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i was rolling a 50+ lb BB7 with a Shiver/Avy combo and 3.0 gazza rubber on the front. i did some XC runs with my bud who rides an R9 with a monster and 2.6 gazza rubber. we were each on a 36 tooth front. i was running a road cogset on the back and a shortcage, so i was limited to a 24t rear max size. we did some climbing and some walking. it sucked, but it was that or my single speed rigid urban DJ rig with a 24" rear at the time. the big bike was a pain. i liked the geo but the weight and travel were too much. the bottlerocket and this IH offering seem to be the right idea. a 6" bike with DH-meets-4X geo that can be built up in the 35-40 lb range. as mentioned earlier, bmw's mini-link was ahead of it's time, as was the 24 le dude. having the option for an FD is no penalty. run it if you want, leave it off if you don't. better to have the option than not. for those of us who XC and DH on the same bike, it is nice.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
mandown said:
i was rolling a 50+ lb BB7 with a Shiver/Avy combo and 3.0 gazza rubber on the front. i did some XC runs with my bud who rides an R9 with a monster and 2.6 gazza rubber. we were each on a 36 tooth front. i was running a road cogset on the back and a shortcage, so i was limited to a 24t rear max size. we did some climbing and some walking. it sucked, but it was that or my single speed rigid urban DJ rig with a 24" rear at the time. the big bike was a pain. i liked the geo but the weight and travel were too much. the bottlerocket and this IH offering seem to be the right idea. a 6" bike with DH-meets-4X geo that can be built up in the 35-40 lb range. as mentioned earlier, bmw's mini-link was ahead of it's time, as was the 24 le dude. having the option for an FD is no penalty. run it if you want, leave it off if you don't. better to have the option than not. for those of us who XC and DH on the same bike, it is nice.
but not everyone is masochistic like you :clue: :rofl:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Toshi said:
the 36x32t "granny gear" setup i had on my canfield f1 was good for flat ground. ok, maybe a really slight grade...
Um, why bother for only a 4 tooth difference? Just run a 34 and be done. Did you mean 36 - 22? That's what I run on my big bike, works great.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dump said:
have you ridden it yet?
this coming from the guy rolling around on a sovereign with slicks...:rofl:

True i dont have a bmw, nor would i want one, i like pedalable dh bikes...stop the silliness, the type 6 is dope. If you want an fd buy a 7 point.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
OGRipper said:
Um, why bother for only a 4 tooth difference? Just run a 34 and be done. Did you mean 36 - 22? That's what I run on my big bike, works great.
hmm, say what? 36 up front, 32 out back. i think your and my nomenclature are the opposite.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dump said:
the guy doesn't have a brooklyn... nor are there any half decent hills you wouldn't have to climb 5 or 6 times to get 400 vertical in pittsburgh
you should have been on our 30 mile death march through a rocky hell last weekend, id take a rider that does that over someone that climbs mellow west coast mtns on a 24 hour team any day...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Toshi said:
hmm, say what? 36 up front, 32 out back. i think your and my nomenclature are the opposite.
Gotcha. I thought you meant a 36 - 32 double up front (with an unspecified cassette) and was like, WTF? And then I thought, hmm, I don't think you can put an FD on an F-1, so I did a double WTF? :rofl:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
manhattanprjkt83 said:
True i dont have a bmw, nor would i want one, i like pedalable dh bikes...stop the silliness, the type 6 is dope. If you want an fd buy a 7 point.
Please step to your left so I can kick you square in the nutsack.

next time you're out here I'll take you on some of my favorite rides. You'll ride your bottlerocket with single ring and i'll ride my 6point/type6 with an FD and we'll compare notes at the end of the ride, after I've scraped your completely useless body off the dirt.

I know sarcasm when i see it, but damn, I want an FD option on it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
W4S said:
Please step to your left so I can kick you square in the nutsack.

next time you're out here I'll take you on some of my favorite rides. You'll ride your bottlerocket with single ring and i'll ride my 6point/type6 with an FD and we'll compare notes at the end of the ride, after I've scraped your completely useless body off the dirt.

I know sarcasm when i see it, but damn, I want an FD option on it.
Um no you wont because your type 6 wont have a fd option...get a 7 point.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
you should have been on our 30 mile death march through a rocky hell last weekend, id take a rider that does that over someone that climbs mellow west coast mtns on a 24 hour team any day...
sounds like fun - where was it?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
huh???

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
dump said:
have you ridden it yet?
this coming from the guy rolling around on a sovereign with slicks...:rofl:
I was simply asking for information... I'm not going to play your "my bike is cooler than yours... "

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I ain't stopping y'all from posting pics. I'm just saying ya won't be seeing pics of it being posted by dw, dante, or myself till bouts then.

-ska todd

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
ska todd said:
I ain't stopping y'all from posting pics. I'm just saying ya won't be seeing pics of it being posted by dw, dante, or myself till bouts then.

-ska todd
there we go,, the posting of pics has been blessed.. lets see em

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
OGRipper said:
But seriously, what kind of climbs are you doing, and what kind of rig are we talking about? How much vertical, in how many miles, on how big a bike?
Well, you asked, so time for some internet bragging:dead:

On my M1 (36t chainring, 30t 8spd rear) I would do a couple laps in Demo, usually the normal way up, down Sawpit, up either sulfur or tractor for the second climb. I never really sit down for the steep parts, just keep standing. It sucked for the first month, then it got easier, then it got fun. I couldn't make it up the SawPit climb, but I can't on my XC bike either. That's the only thing I can't make in the forest.

On the Chameleon, (36f, 32r) I raced the Big Bear UCSD collegiate XC race, that was pretty much a climb to the top of the mountain, but not too gnarly, as that bike was only about 28-30lbs with some skinny tires and light wheels.

On my Demo8, I can climb a lot better than on the M1, and usually climb shooters in SLO a couple times every ride. I can also (more bragging, but you asked...) make it up ridge trail in MDO, but not every time. Since I started smoking and riding less after the last world cup, I'm outta shape now, but hopefully things will improve this summer.

So a couple laps in Demo would probably be around 3,000 feet. I only weigh about 160, but don't mind standing. Camelbaks are the devil, jersey pockets rule.

Big bikes don't make people slow, granny rings do.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sam Hill style: Sunday for "true" DH w/ the Type6 for Sea-Otter-ish courses.

Same geo (except for lower BB on the Type6) so you don't feel like you're on a new bike for the different course.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
appolo (roaring run)...Really incredible trails...
hmm... never been riding there. appolo's a bit of a dump though right? by a river? (duh - roaring run) Where are the trails?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Why is the DHX mounted upside down on the Type 6? It would make sense to put the heavier part lower, and have the lighter weight shaft be the part that has to move more. Riffle has his canister lower, and even though it looks a little goofy, I am guessing it would ride better. Clearance issue?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
id wager theres clearance issues. typcially you want the heavy end on the unsprung side of the suspension. not sure how much advatange you would have on a bike, but at the top level of the game, every little bit counts.