Quantcast

I'm making pesto

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Never made it before but I read the ingredients on the back of a foo-foo $12.00 jar. Pine nuts, olive oil, ramono cheese, fresh basil and garlic... not sure what "spices" should also be included. Any suggestions?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
salt. you can also add a bit of minced garlic if you want. sometimes i use walnuts or pecans instead of pine nuts, or add in a touch of parsley to the mix too.

you gonna use a food processer, or be a real man and go the mortar and pestle route?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
narlus said:
salt. you can also add a bit of minced garlic if you want. sometimes i use walnuts or pecans instead of pine nuts, or add in a touch of parsley to the mix too.

you gonna use a food processer, or be a real man and go the mortar and pestle route?
I'm being a fake man tonight... didn't think of parsley and probably put too much cheese but its still better than the jar I bought last week. Seems cheaper too. I'm going to eat it with vine tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and bread with olive oil. :)

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
This is my modification of the classic Pesto Genovese featuring basil, pine nuts and Parmesan. I added the Garlic because, quite frankly, I love Garlic.

A few large handfuls of fresh basil – leave the stems on.
1/2 cup or so of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
3-4 decent sized cloves of Garlic, peeled.
A few handfuls of pine nuts
A generous splash or two of extra virgin olive oil
A sprinkle or two of salt and pepper

In the 'official' Genovese version, the garlic is not included. I guess because garlic is often another part of the dish.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
one of my friends doesn't like pesto.

he likes everything in pesto, but has apparently decided he doesn't like the whole (he had never tried it).

We made him try it, and he said "it's like Marinara".

?????

anyway, I like the idea about adding walnuts.

Thinkin' I'm gonna have to make some. I do have the mortar and pestle.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Our basil pots are full on right now. My wife & middle kid picked a full 4qt mixing bowl full of leaves last night.

Looks like fresh pesto is back on the menu, Boys! :D :thumb:

And yes - fresh does taste better and is *much* cheaper than the store stuff. Even if you use "proper" Parmesano Reggiano. :drool:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK - I made it and it is good! Not enough basil; I do all my gardening at Safeway and they wanted $2.39 for their packages. I only bought 3 a didn't use the stems. Next time I'm going to buy 6 unless I can find a neighbot to steal from. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Serial Midget said:
OK - I made it and it is good! Not enough basil; I do all my gardening at Safeway and they wanted $2.39 for their packages. I only bought 3 a didn't use the stems. Next time I'm going to buy 6 unless I can find a neighbot to steal from. :thumb:
Forget gardening. Fill a pot with dirt, add basil seeds, and water occasionally. If you like pesto you'll have to do this. We've currently got 3 pots full of basil. One is a big 5-gallon pot. :drool:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
our basil bush is blowing up. Except this year we palnted spicey globe basil and TN doesn't like it as well as the regular stuff. He made pesto the other night and didn't like it too much. I thought it was lovely.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm not opposed to receiving leaf in the mail... ;)

laura said:
our basil bush is blowing up. Except this year we palnted spicey globe basil and TN doesn't like it as well as the regular stuff. He made pesto the other night and didn't like it too much. I thought it was lovely.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I loves me some fresh pesto. Once you get the hang of the basic method you can experiment with different herbs. I make a killer pesto with cilantro, mint, and a bit of lime or lemon zest that is the bomb on grilled fish.

And I can really taste the difference between a morter and pestle and a processor.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Serial Midget said:
I'm not opposed to receiving leaf in the mail... ;)

I'm not exactly sure how well that would work out. and what if some southern bug gets mixed in and destroys your pristine eco system? Your trailer park buddies would be pissed.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
laura said:
I'm not exactly sure how well that would work out. and what if some southern bug gets mixed in and destroys your pristine eco system? Your trailer park buddies would be pissed.
Throw in a PBR or two and no one will notice the southern pine beetles escaping from the box. :wave:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
anyone freeze it? I make a huge batch, scoop out portions onto wax paper, freeze them, throw them in a ziploc and voila pesto in the winter too.

My recipe is fresh basil, pine nuts, parmesean, butter/olive oil, garlic and salt. I bet better cheese makes a difference.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
geargrrl said:
anyone freeze it? I make a huge batch, scoop out portions onto wax paper, freeze them, throw them in a ziploc and voila pesto in the winter too.

My recipe is fresh basil, pine nuts, parmesean, butter/olive oil, garlic and salt. I bet better cheese makes a difference.
I will have to try freezing it. We usually lose a bunch of basil at the end of the summer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
geargrrl said:

It freezes well. We now have 3 servings in the freezer, a couple in the fridge, as well as a serving of red bell pepper pesto in the freezer.

Get genuine Italian Grana Padano at Costco - excellent cheese, not too horribly expensive. Our family goes through around 3lbs a month of the stuff. :drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
laura said:
I will have to try freezing it. We usually lose a bunch of basil at the end of the summer.
Even with using it at a breakneck pace we always seem to have some that goes all woody and dies at the end of the season. We've currently got three pots of the stuff planted about a month apart each so hopefully we can streatch the season even more this year.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Bizzump.

I borrowed a friend's mortar and pestle last night and made my own pesto for the first time. For it being the first time I've made it, I would say it came out...okay. Next time, I will do a few things differently. First off, after washing the basil, I will let it dry completely (or close to it) before mashing it. There was a little too much moisture remaining, which was annoying whilst grinding. Second, use more basil. Third, use better olive oil (I used decent oil, but nothign special).

Anyway, I'm hooked. I can't wait to make it again.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
reflux said:
Bizzump.

I borrowed a friend's mortar and pestle last night and made my own pesto for the first time. For it being the first time I've made it, I would say it came out...okay. Next time, I will do a few things differently. First off, after washing the basil, I will let it dry completely (or close to it) before mashing it. There was a little too much moisture remaining, which was annoying whilst grinding. Second, use more basil. Third, use better olive oil (I used decent oil, but nothign special).

Anyway, I'm hooked. I can't wait to make it again.
That's another nice thing about growing your own basil - you don't need to wash it. :thumb:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
what cheese? I confess, I've just used parmesean-in-a-can for my large batches of pesto that I freeze. I know that's lame, but it works. For a large (fill the cuisinart) size batch, what would you foodies do for the grated cheese part? Can you buy high quality parm/romano already grated?

and.. .the good news is I got to replace the blown up food processor with a brand new large Cuisinart. Get this, $79 for brand new in the box and no, it's not hot.:)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
geargrrl said:
what cheese? I confess, I've just used parmesean-in-a-can for my large batches of pesto that I freeze. I know that's lame, but it works. For a large (fill the cuisinart) size batch, what would you foodies do for the grated cheese part?
Get a big block of the good stuff from Costco. We usually get the Grana Padano.
Can you buy high quality parm/romano already grated?
Nope. You must grate your own cheese. Think of it akin to grinding your own pepper. Pre-ground pepper is foul stuff. Actually the right way to do it is to mix up everything except the cheese and freeze, then mix in the grated cheese just prior to use. Cheese doesn't freeze very well.

and.. .the good news is I got to replace the blown up food processor with a brand new large Cuisinart. Get this, $79 for brand new in the box and no, it's not hot.:)
That's a screamin' good deal. We have a crap processor, but it'll serve for now.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
SkaredShtles said:
Nope. You must grate your own cheese. Think of it akin to grinding your own pepper. Pre-ground pepper is foul stuff. Actually the right way to do it is to mix up everything except the cheese and freeze, then mix in the grated cheese just prior to use. Cheese doesn't freeze very well.
'Round these parts we can get high quality grated cheese, including good blends of parm, romano, etc. It's...grate. :rolleyes:

But I agree with not freezing it.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
ok foodies, olive oil AND butter for fresh pesto, or just evoo?

My current recipe is modified from Moosewood cookbook and calls for both.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
ok foodies, olive oil AND butter for fresh pesto, or just evoo?

My current recipe is modified from Moosewood cookbook and calls for both.

nm, I remembered I have a copy of Marcella Hazan's Classic Italian Cooking buried in the pantry, I'll try that version which does call for both, but in different quantities than Moosewood. Probably more authentic, too I would guess.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
nm, I remembered I have a copy of Marcella Hazan's Classic Italian Cooking buried in the pantry, I'll try that version which does call for both, but in different quantities than Moosewood. Probably more authentic, too I would guess.
Just the EVOO...

Now, according to most Euro-trained chefs, there's something called:

monter au beurre, to finish, or "mount" a sauce with butter.

However, Pesto being a 'cold' sauce - I'd skip it. Especially if you're going to store a batch and use later - butter is notorious for going 'off' when you least expect it, but EVOO is practically a preservative.

Just my 5¢.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I prefer just evoo for most pesto dishes, I think it's cleaner and allows the basil to come through better. But if I'm doing something like a pesto cream, a little butter adds good depth and richness.

I always try to "finish" sauces the same way I start them. So if for example I start a sauce by cooking aromatics in evoo, I will toss in a splash of the same oil just before serving - same thing with butter. Seems to help bring things together.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Double wow.

1. my new cuisinart is fricking amazing when it comes to pesto making.

2. I tried Marcella Hazan's pesto recipe, and while the proportions are similar to the one I used before, this is much better! Much less bettuer and fewer nuts. I'm sure the fresh Parmesean and Asiago ( didn't have Romano) helped!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Double wow.

2. I tried Marcella Hazan's pesto recipe, and while the proportions are similar to the one I used before, this is much better! Much less bettuer and fewer nuts. I'm sure the fresh Parmesean and Asiago ( didn't have Romano) helped!
Could you post the ingredients, sweetie? Cuz with all these verbal variations, we're [okay, i'm] getting a little confoosed.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Double wow.

Was it "real" Italian Parmesan? If not - do yourself a favor and get a block of it at your local Costco. Sooooooooooo good. :drool: