Quantcast

I'm moving to Bham in Jan

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
All you Bham'ers, I'll be living in your neck of the woods starting January. If any of you have suggestions on where to live and where not to live...especially specific apartment complexes, it'd be rad. At this time I'm looking more for a month to month rental then signing a 6 month lease.

Thanks in advance

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
me and pete(aka allsk8sno) just moved up there and found a cool site with apartment ratings from people who lived there. not sure on the site but i am sure a search of bellingham apartment rating would get you there. pretty helpful, with addresses so you can mapquest/yahoo maps/google map the place

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Good luck getting a month to month straight outta the chute.
Best I was able to do was a 3 month lease with one month free if I paid all 3 months in advance.
I'd say your best bet for cheap digs would be to look at WWU either online if they have such a thing now or at the Viking Union on the 'Roommates' board.

Living on the 'South Side' puts you closer to a lot of the more popular trails (Galbraith, Padden, Interurban etc.) still close to the university if that's what you need and close to pretty decent restaurants. If you live anywhere in Bellingham proper, you can ride to most of the great trails from town.
Closer still to the big trail system of Galbraith is up off of Lakeway Drive near Whatcom Falls park. Not much up there in the way of eats but a donut shop and mini-mart and not a lot of apartments near the park....I think there's some condos up around there that you could check into and see about rental units. Otherwise, it's all houses.
Cheaper digs can be had around downtown and the 'lettered streets' (we always called it the "letter ghettos") and as you get closer to the airport.
If you want month to month as you get your bearings, you might check out the Motel 6 right off the Samish Way (not lake) Exit. It's reasonably close to trails and next to Haggen grocery as well as REI. There's a lot of apartments around that area to but they're close to the university so prices tend to be a bit higher.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Month to month in a college town are really difficult to come by. Anything within several miles of campus will probably be yearly or 3 month. Let me know if you have specific questions, I can ask around if I don't know the answer.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
After my last wreck, I'm scared of every little drop and jump, it's ridiculous. My gf is moving up around Sept and I plan on getting her on a Preston or something so we can ride Galbraith together.

I was up the other day but couldn't really find any single room apartments in decent neighborhoods. Alabama and Texas st were places that were suggested as being some of the best neighborhoods....SYKE!

The only one place I really found was the new complex across from Walmart off of Meridian.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
get out of B-ham a little, theres lots of stuff in North Bham and Ferndale..dont know about month to month, but definately more choices....hows the Yeti? We go to the shore every other weekend, you should come along.:)

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Whistler>Freight Train, was bucked off on the first table top and landed on my side. Slid down the landing long enough for my pads to peel away and it took some skin with it. Have a nice patch of darker skin now :) But the one that really messed me up was at the top of the road at SST, I went way too fast and landed way too far down and just slammed really hard. Shook up the guts, lost some balls.

A, the Yeti's still alive and kicking, still love it.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Welome to Bellingham, you will love it here. I'm assuming you have a job set up? Good luck finding month-to-month, it won't be easy but I'm sure it's available.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
thesacrifice said:
Whistler>Freight Train, was bucked off on the first table top and landed on my side. Slid down the landing long enough for my pads to peel away and it took some skin with it. Have a nice patch of darker skin now :) But the one that really messed me up was at the top of the road at SST, I went way too fast and landed way too far down and just slammed really hard. Shook up the guts, lost some balls.

A, the Yeti's still alive and kicking, still love it.

dude...this summer at crankworks we were riding freight train..it wasnt quite done yet and it was my first run down it...i was pinned trying to keep up w/ my bro and i overshot this table that was right b4 the trail split to go on no joke or the other trail off the top (i forgot the name) and i wadded so hard...i landed kind of whipped out on the flats and i highsided at full speed with knee/shins only....it was not fun...

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
fuzzycatnuts said:
you got bucked on the first table on freight train? Theres not even a lip on that thing.
Not to say that we didn't ride it at different times under different circumstances, because it was probably in the exact same day and in the same condition, but it happened.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
On Northwest road there are some new apartments, across from a walk in health clinic. And near the Community College there are new condos, darby estates. I would consider those locations the "edge" of town.