Quantcast

Im new and i need helpp!!!

prezzto

Chimp
Aug 20, 2011
so if i switch out the rear hub from my old rim on my bike, can i use a front wheel from my friends bike, put my rear hub in and change out the spokes?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
If I understand you correctly you want to swap your rear rim with one from your buddies front wheel. If the rims are the same diameter (ERD) and number of spokes, you can take the new rim and tape it to your old one, lining up the valve holes and move the spokes over one at a time. Then tension and true.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Monkey's first rim swap. Go for it.
If you can afford it, a proper spoke wrench and new nipples go a long way.

Have fun and don't forget to re-tension it after the first couple rides.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

:stupid: Most people learn more by trying (and sometimes failing). I wouldn't take it out for a hard ride after the first build, try it around the house and work out any kinks. Good luck!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
P.S., the spoke lengths are dramatically different between front and rear wheels.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I've never ever tried building a wheelset but I can true the crap out of one if it gets out of whack. Does this mean I could build a wheelset? IF so, do you need a dishing tool and such, or is a truing stand and a spoke wrench all that's needed? Not that I'm thinking about doing it. Like I have that kind of time these days. Just curious about this subject as I've done everything else to my bike. :hmm:

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

I agree. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Give it a shot. If you screw it up, you can take it to a shop and they can fix it for you.

The only thing that's not clarified here is if it's the same rim. If it's the same rim (or extremely similar), it's easy. If it's a different rim, the spoke lengths might be different and you might not be able to do it.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I've never ever tried building a wheelset but I can true the crap out of one if it gets out of whack. Does this mean I could build a wheelset? IF so, do you need a dishing tool and such, or is a truing stand and a spoke wrench all that's needed? Not that I'm thinking about doing it. Like I have that kind of time these days. Just curious about this subject as I've done everything else to my bike. :hmm:
No need for a dishing tool. Just flip the wheel around in the trying stand. No real need for a truing stand either. You can use your bike frame and a zip tie for a pointer. But a truing stand makes it more comfortable so you can take your time.