Quantcast

I'm new, and I've just bought a Cannondale Chase 3. Advice.

GV1

Chimp
Sep 4, 2009
Right, I'm 24, student, from the UK.

I wanted to get into Street Jumping. Not sure if Street Jumping is a legitimate term, but it's where you freestyle on the streets. People I know call it Street Jumping.

Anyway, I just purchased a Cannondale Chase 3. I can do all the basic moves, but want to step up and start doing jumps and moves that are daring. I wouldnt say I'm good on a bike, I'm a newbie, but I have the desire to learn. Also, my balance is pretty wack atm.

So, what's the best place to learn? Are there DVD's available? I don't know anyone around my area that is into Street Jumping so I can't learn from nobody. I just have to take my bike out and practice.

I'm kinda worried about scratching up the new bike when I come off the thing, but I guess it's going to happen sooner or later.

Any advice?

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
The best way to learn is leeching off of other riders and asking them How To's, youtube is also a great way to find out the basic steps in a trick.
Bikes are mean't to get beat up.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Fundamentals: http://tinyurl.com/motq3v

and

The Art of Trials: http://tinyurl.com/nurhu8

My riding improved the most one summer when I suffered an A/C (shoulder) separation. I couldn't ride for a month. All I could do was practice in the street outside my house:
trackstands - learning this helped the most
sprints (simulating a gate start)
slow tight turns in both directions

When I got back on the bike I was amazed at how my bike-handling skills improved.

The DVDs will break down the technique for you. Past that, it's just time on the bike.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I trackstand for even a couple seconds every time I get on a bike, getting your balance on the bike is key. It sounds stupid, but every time I come across a line on the pavement, I'll ride it like a skinny bridge. I also try to ride all the skinny concrete objects in my way, like curbs and gutters and things. Just put time on the bike and your skills will improve.

Watching any good riders will give you some ideas of what you can do and what you can try. Get inspired and go ride.

GV1

Chimp
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks for the responses.

I've been practicing over the past 2 days. Before I even read the replies (only read them today) I spent a few hours riding curb lines. I thought I was stupid, lol.

But aside from that, I grabbed a cone from a building site and started trying to jump over the base (placed the cone on its side). It took me a good few tries, but got it in the end.

I sort of taught myself how to hop properly. The way I used to do it was just lift the bike up in one go, but after watching a section on a DVD it showed you that you have to lift the front end of the bike up, and throw the back end up to get maximum height. It worked! Although my arms feel blasted and my palms are full of blisters.

I'm happy though, and thanks for the replies.