Quantcast

I'm officially an idiot...

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
Hey guys, I just got a Rocky Mountain Flatline and I love it but I'm having some new bike issues. I've never before figured out what is the best sequence for tightening the bolts on a 20mm through axle. Is it pinchers then axle? Axle then pinchers? Brake side pinchers, then axle, then non brake side pinchers? Also, the rear wheel, should I tighten the pinchers or the axle first?

If anyone could shed some light on this I would be really grateful.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Damn...

Was going to post a picture of Dobermann Pinscher frames but failed to find a pic with a few frames in it...

hahahah

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This thread is disturbing :think:

To the OP: you need to properly tension the axle before you want to tighten the pinch bolts.

But frankly, any of the posts in this thread would be very helpful depending on what kind of problem you're suffering from, be it spelling, hunger or sexual.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
If you tightened the pinchers first they would be squeezing the axle not allowing you to tighten it. So yeah, Axel tight first then pinch bolts...and visa versa when you loosen.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
You have any experience getting that axle on there correctly? I did what I thought was right and it came loose on me, I don't think it was the right thing to do in retrospect.
First off, I upgraded to the Azonic Recoil axel with nuts. The stock axel was stupid heavy. When I'm putting my wheel back in, I will lightly tighten the 4mm dropout bolts. I don't tighten them all the way, but snug. I'll then tighten the axel down... The clamp bolts on the dropouts last.

I haven't had the rear get loose on me with this method. Man it sucks to get a flat on this bike. One time I was missing my 4mm allen...

Stupid dropouts + Missing allen = long walk. :mad:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
:rofl:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sigh

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA... hwee.

By the time I got to BV's response I almost fell off my chair. I read this thread twice more just for the entertainment value. Thanks guys.