Quantcast

I'm picking AS in the Tour next year.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Hopefully Johan can crack the whip and get Andy to learn to ride his TT bike. I guess having Fabian as a teammate wasn't enough.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
This year was AS's chance. Not only were the TTs short and few, but there was tons of climbing and Contador had just done the Giro.

He won't get another chance like that. Berto will probably focus on the Tour next year and no one will be able to beat him.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Johan? I am not convinced that he is a good DS at all. Armstrong was the heart and soul of his team for ages and Armstrong called the shots. He got lucky with Contador. This year he says we have four potential leaders and we will let the road decide? When has that strategy ever worked? Think Deutche Telecom and T-Mobile. If you have a rider like Armstrong or Indurain, you do well in the mountains and kill the TT. The team pulls hard on the flat stages to prevent any significant breakaways and punish others with speed. Wear them down before the hills. If your man can't tt then you need to go for broke like AS did this year.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'd give Johan a little more credit. He was able to keep the teams together and create (or maintain) the right environment for the victories. Lance was certainly involved, and over time he could call more shots, but he wasn't running the team the whole time.

But I agree that this was Schleck's best chance yet, and he blew it. It seems they were focused more on not losing to Contador than winning the race.

Being among the best climbers is not enough to win the Tour. Andy is already a good climber. He needs to do what others have done, and sacrifice some climbing form to become more of a threat in the TT.