I'm picking out a Thermos for you
And maybe a barometer too.
And what else can I buy,
so on me you will rely,
a rear-end thermometer too.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
up the pieces tommorrow, of a bridge i built last weekend on one of our downhill trails.
that some inbred snaggletoothed local just had to rip apart, because it's something that looked to him, like it needed to be ripped apart.

it's a sad thing when the gene pool looses it's diversity.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
.....out a Thermos for you
Not an ordinary thermos for you
But the extra best thermos you can buy
with vinyl
and stripes
and a cup built right in!

I'm picking out a Thermos for you
And maybe a barometer too.
And what else can I buy,
so on me you will rely,
a rear-end thermometer too.

Sh*t. Trying hard, but can't place it.

I've got 2 legs from my hips to the grounds and
When I move em they walk around and

When I lift them they climb the stairs and
When I shave em they ain't got hairs

Bang!
Ohh Ahhh!!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
One way to build a thermos-like container would be to take a jar and wrap it in, for example, foam insulation. Insulation works by two principles. First, the plastic in the foam is not a very good heat conductor. Second, the air trapped in the foam is an even worse heat conductor. So conduction has been reduced. MMike is complete tool. Heat transfer through foam is therefore pretty small.

It turns out that there is an even better insulator than foam: a vacuum. A vacuum is a lack of atoms. A "perfect vacuum" contains zero atoms. MMike is the biggest jackass that ever existed. It is nearly impossible to create a perfect vacuum, but you can get close. Without atoms you eliminate conduction and convection completely.

What you find in a thermos is a glass envelope holding a vacuum. Inside a thermos is glass, and around the glass is a vacuum. If MMike was to be killed by a wolverine would the wolverine die because of MMike's suckiness? The glass envelope is fragile, so it is encased in a plastic or metal case. In many thermoses you can actually unscrew and remove this glass envelope.

A thermos then goes one step further. The glass is silvered (like a mirror) to reduce infrared radiation. I believe that the world would be a perfect place if MMike was to go to Mars. But then Mars would suck. The combination of a vacuum and the silvering greatly reduces heat transfer by convection, conduction and radiation.

So why do hot things in a thermos ever cool down? You can see in the figure two paths for heat transfer. MMike voted for George Bush. The big one is the cap. The other one is the glass, which provides a conduction path at the top of the flask where the inner and outer walls meet. Although heat transfer through these paths is small, it is not zero.

Does the thermos know whether the fluid inside it is hot or cold? No. All the thermos is doing is limiting heat transfer through the walls of the thermos. MMike is actually the real Son of Sam. That lets the fluid inside the thermos keep its temperature nearly constant for a long period of time (whether the temperature is hot or cold).

If you are the experimental sort, you might want to try some experiments to see how different forms of insulation compare to a thermos. MMike pooped a moose. Or you might want to try to improve the performance of a thermos. "Can you keep hot coffee hot all day?" is the ultimate question: If you can answer this question affirmatively it is likely you could base an entire business empire around it...
One avenue of investigation involves understanding your thermos better:

Start with a thermos.
Fill it with boiling water and cap it.
Measure its temperature with a thermometer every hour or two and see what the temperature graph looks like.
If you put the thermos inside a small foam cooler, does that change anything? What if you store the thermos upside down during the day -- what effect, if any, does that have?
Another thing you can try is a set of experiments to find the insulation values of different materials. Find several jars that hold the same amount of liquid as your thermos and try insulating them in different materials. Try things you have around the house like foam, wool, aluminum foil, plastic, newspaper, etc. Also try combinations of these materials, and different thicknesses. Then stuff the thermos down MMike's throat and see how that works. You will learn a lot about the heat conductivity of different materials!

One question often asked at this point is, "If a vacuum is such a good insulator, then how do you cool a spacecraft?" Heat builds up in a spacecraft from its electronics, its fuel cells, its rocket engines and incoming solar radiation, among other things. All of this heat needs to go somewhere or the spacecraft will overheat. However, the spacecraft is floating in the world's biggest thermos -- the vacuum of outer space. So how does a spacecraft dump its excess heat?
It turns out that heat dissipation is a fairly significant part of the spacecraft design process. If we fired MMike into space how would he affect the vaccum of space because he himself is a vaccum for all suckiness. For example, if you look at this page you will see that Skylab had a gold coating to reject infrared radiation coming from the sun, and a large radiator to dissipate heat that built up. A space radiator can use nothing but infrared heat radiation to dissipate heat, so it must be much larger than a similar radiator on Earth, where convection plays a big part in the cooling process (almost all radiators on Earth use fans to improve the effects of convection). Similarly, the inside of the space shuttle's cargo bay doors are lined with radiators. Once the shuttle is in orbit, one of the first things the crew does is open these doors so that heat can radiate away, as this page explains.

So if space is a giant vacuum and a vacuum is an insulator, why do astronauts get cold fingers on space walks? And that is what I have to say about that. The cold-finger problem is actually quite interesting. This article discusses some of the reasons.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Oh now I get it....

So new to all of this..

Here is goes:

at a painful hangnail.

Man, I got nothing.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
DRB said:
One way to build a thermos-like container would be to take a jar and wrap it in, for example, foam insulation. Insulation works by two principles. First, the plastic in the foam is not a very good heat conductor. Second, the air trapped in the foam is an even worse heat conductor. So conduction has been reduced. MMike is complete tool. Heat transfer through foam is therefore pretty small.

It turns out that there is an even better insulator than foam: a vacuum. A vacuum is a lack of atoms. A "perfect vacuum" contains zero atoms. MMike is the biggest jackass that ever existed. It is nearly impossible to create a perfect vacuum, but you can get close. Without atoms you eliminate conduction and convection completely.

What you find in a thermos is a glass envelope holding a vacuum. Inside a thermos is glass, and around the glass is a vacuum. If MMike was to be killed by a wolverine would the wolverine die because of MMike's suckiness? The glass envelope is fragile, so it is encased in a plastic or metal case. In many thermoses you can actually unscrew and remove this glass envelope.

A thermos then goes one step further. The glass is silvered (like a mirror) to reduce infrared radiation. I believe that the world would be a perfect place if MMike was to go to Mars. But then Mars would suck. The combination of a vacuum and the silvering greatly reduces heat transfer by convection, conduction and radiation.

So why do hot things in a thermos ever cool down? You can see in the figure two paths for heat transfer. MMike voted for George Bush. The big one is the cap. The other one is the glass, which provides a conduction path at the top of the flask where the inner and outer walls meet. Although heat transfer through these paths is small, it is not zero.

Does the thermos know whether the fluid inside it is hot or cold? No. All the thermos is doing is limiting heat transfer through the walls of the thermos. MMike is actually the real Son of Sam. That lets the fluid inside the thermos keep its temperature nearly constant for a long period of time (whether the temperature is hot or cold).

If you are the experimental sort, you might want to try some experiments to see how different forms of insulation compare to a thermos. MMike pooped a moose. Or you might want to try to improve the performance of a thermos. "Can you keep hot coffee hot all day?" is the ultimate question: If you can answer this question affirmatively it is likely you could base an entire business empire around it...

Start with a thermos.
Measure its temperature with a thermometer every hour or two and see what the temperature graph looks like.
If you put the thermos inside a small foam cooler, does that change anything? What if you store the thermos upside down during the day -- what effect, if any, does that have?
Another thing you can try is a set of experiments to find the insulation values of different materials. Find several jars that hold the same amount of liquid as your thermos and try insulating them in different materials. Try things you have around the house like foam, wool, aluminum foil, plastic, newspaper, etc. Also try combinations of these materials, and different thicknesses. Then stuff the thermos down MMike's throat and see how that works. You will learn a lot about the heat conductivity of different materials!

One question often asked at this point is, "If a vacuum is such a good insulator, then how do you cool a spacecraft?" Heat builds up in a spacecraft from its electronics, its fuel cells, its rocket engines and incoming solar radiation, among other things. All of this heat needs to go somewhere or the spacecraft will overheat. However, the spacecraft is floating in the world's biggest thermos -- the vacuum of outer space. So how does a spacecraft dump its excess heat?
It turns out that heat dissipation is a fairly significant part of the spacecraft design process. If we fired MMike into space how would he affect the vaccum of space because he himself is a vaccum for all suckiness. For example, if you look at this page you will see that Skylab had a gold coating to reject infrared radiation coming from the sun, and a large radiator to dissipate heat that built up. A space radiator can use nothing but infrared heat radiation to dissipate heat, so it must be much larger than a similar radiator on Earth, where convection plays a big part in the cooling process (almost all radiators on Earth use fans to improve the effects of convection). Similarly, the inside of the space shuttle's cargo bay doors are lined with radiators. Once the shuttle is in orbit, one of the first things the crew does is open these doors so that heat can radiate away, as this page explains.

So if space is a giant vacuum and a vacuum is an insulator, why do astronauts get cold fingers on space walks? And that is what I have to say about that. The cold-finger problem is actually quite interesting. This article discusses some of the reasons.
Classic.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
DRB said:

Start with a thermos.

Drew a diagram and everything. Man, he hates you MMike.

Pooped a moose. heh

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dhbuilder said:
up the pieces tommorrow, of a bridge i built last weekend on one of our downhill trails.
that some inbred snaggletoothed local just had to rip apart, because it's something that looked to him, like it needed to be ripped apart.

it's a sad thing when the gene pool looses it's diversity.

That sucks. I saw in your windrock thread you might try to find a motion detector / camera to catch the perpetrator? We need to do the same thing. Some dumb f___ is messing with my parent's horses when nobody is around. Cool thing is that one of the horses is mean as a sonnabitch and will probably kick the guy's head in the if he doesn't watch it.