Quantcast

I'm Pimping a Stingray Now......

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

This is the Schwinn I've always been wanting and now it's finally mine!!!
Even the tires are original!!!!!!!!

I don't know what Shimano and SRAM are doing wrong but this thing shifts like butter!!! :)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Looking forwards to the pics where it's gleaming like the sun. I love a bit of restoring. Actually my favourite style is to keep the overall old school look and colours but add a few subtle modern components for better functionality. Drivetrain is a good place to start.

Remember these?

So pretty.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Looks cool.

I never did get the allure of old bikes though... :confused:
It's a thing of beauty man!

Look at it! EVERY single component on the bike is MADE by Schwinn. Even the bolt through the seatpost clamp has the Schwinn "S" on it. All the bikes we buy now are made in Taiwan using components from all over the world, where-ever they can be bought the cheapest. This bike was the first of it's kind, the design of this bike was an original idea for it's time and ever since industries have tried to copy it. Heck, even Schwinn re-introduced The Stingray in 2004. When you pick this bike up you can just feel how well the bike was made. The rear hub still work, the shifter still works, nothing is loose, heck the tires are still intact. Schwinn's built bikes for a lifetime back then and it shows. The Stingray line is the grandfather of the BMX, BMX took bicycles to the dirt which we can all be thankful for with the amount of time we spend on the dirt with our bikes.

Just like Art, Music, Architecture, Cooking, etc. there's always a lineage back. To have a real appreciation for what we have now it's always nice to know where it came from.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
are you serious? is that how much these bikes are going for?
Some of the other models like the Cotton Picker, or the Orange Krate in equal condition will go for over $1000.

If I parted this bike out I could probably get around $500 based on it's condition.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I was kidding, actually, but will keep my eyes peeled for you. I did actually work on an old Scwhinn cruiser a couple of months back that was registered in Topeka, KS back in the mid 60s.

I haven't touched a club in a couple of months. :plthumbsdown:
I knew you were kidding!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
are you serious? is that how much these bikes are going for?

$300 isn't bad for it. I just sold one with a ton of extras to a friend for a similar price!

When I worked in the shop daily, I could buy those all day long for $75-$150... they have been on the incline as prices go... but that isn't a bad deal Stosh!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
$300 isn't bad for it. I just sold one with a ton of extras to a friend for a similar price!

When I worked in the shop daily, I could buy those all day long for $75-$150... they have been on the incline as prices go... but that isn't a bad deal Stosh!
Yeah if I found the right buyer I'm sure I could get around $400-$500. This has been my holy grail for a long time so I'm going to hold onto it for a while. I really enjoy riding the other bikes I have as well and I'm sure this one will be no different. Other than the chainstay and chain guard there is very little damage to the paint. The seat has some easily removable scuffs on it as well.

How long ago did you work at a shop?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yeah if I found the right buyer I'm sure I could get around $400-$500. This has been my holy grail for a long time so I'm going to hold onto it for a while. I really enjoy riding the other bikes I have as well and I'm sure this one will be no different. Other than the chainstay and chain guard there is very little damage to the paint. The seat has some easily removable scuffs on it as well.

How long ago did you work at a shop?
last night.

no... I haven't worked full time in a shop for few years. I still spend quite a bit of time there. I just don't get a paycheck, I get a discount on parts! :thumb:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
It's a thing of beauty man!

Look at it! EVERY single component on the bike is MADE by Schwinn. Even the bolt through the seatpost clamp has the Schwinn "S" on it. All the bikes we buy now are made in Taiwan using components from all over the world, where-ever they can be bought the cheapest. This bike was the first of it's kind, the design of this bike was an original idea for it's time and ever since industries have tried to copy it. Heck, even Schwinn re-introduced The Stingray in 2004. When you pick this bike up you can just feel how well the bike was made. The rear hub still work, the shifter still works, nothing is loose, heck the tires are still intact. Schwinn's built bikes for a lifetime back then and it shows. The Stingray line is the grandfather of the BMX, BMX took bicycles to the dirt which we can all be thankful for with the amount of time we spend on the dirt with our bikes.

Just like Art, Music, Architecture, Cooking, etc. there's always a lineage back. To have a real appreciation for what we have now it's always nice to know where it came from.
Point taken. Guess I'm just not sophisticated to understand the need of understanding the whole lineage of something.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
last night.

no... I haven't worked full time in a shop for few years. I still spend quite a bit of time there. I just don't get a paycheck, I get a discount on parts! :thumb:
Keep your eye out for me if you would!

Oct 24, 2006
Hey man, we have a blue stingray we got for $100. It is in perfect condition (has stock rubber to boot) and the kicker... it even had the sticker from 30 odd years ago from my LBS.

We since bought a Grey Ghost remake.

We have 2 Rupp mini bikes as well, a roadster and TT500. Stuffs cool all pretty nostalgic.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hmmmm.... this may very well be the coolest move you've ever made. :)

Back in the 70s when I was 10 I had a green sting ray with with a 3 speed thumb shifter, one of our neighbors was a plumber who bent me a 4 foot sissy bar - went great with the 3" slick rear wheel I'd salvaged from something. It was my first dirt bike since bmx hadn't moved east of California yet.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hmmmm.... this may very well be the coolest move you've ever made. :)

Back in the 70s when I was 10 I had a green sting ray with with a 3 speed thumb shifter, one of our neighbors was a plumber who bent me a 4 foot sissy bar - went great with the 3" slick rear wheel I'd salvaged from something. It was my first dirt bike since bmx hadn't moved east of California yet.
I also have a 3' sissy bar to go with the bike. :)