Quantcast

I'm Quitting Drinking. Seriously.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
be careful with that. I have an uncle on methadone, replacmant therapy typically prolongs the problem.\

Good for you to want to get back on track. If you have trouble after this, you may want to check out a program.

AA saved my Grandmother's life.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
be careful with that. I have an uncle on methadone, replacmant therapy typically prolongs the problem.\

Good for you to want to get back on track. If you have trouble after this, you may want to check out a program.

AA saved my Grandmother's life.
Which is why I said speak to your GP about it. Methadone v valium is hardly a valid comparison.
As a partially related aside, I took a Mogadon before I got on the plane on Tuesday and when the little kid across the aisle vomited on her seat I didn't bat an eyelid, just felt sorry for her, poor little thing. I was amazed, the Singapore Airlines hosties changed the seat for her mid-flight, actually physically removed the seat and put in a new one. What an airline.:thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
At 5:30 I was so stressed I stood up in a meeting and without a word I walked to my car and white knuckled and road raged it through hideous traffic to Safeway for a bottle.

Thanks monkeys!

Don't do that again.

You're welcome.
:D

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
One word......

Moderation

......its easy for a beer snob like me to say, who doesn't have the ability to get drunk (i know it sounds like bs, but i cant, so i have to need/desire to drink), but very nearly everything in life is fine in moderation.......

something that could help you stop is learning to enjoy the taste of fine alcohol. for one, it'll be too expensive to get drunk off of, but it'll also be a relaxing and enjoyable thing to do with friends, or just sit'n in front of the boob tube.

become a beer snob, or explore the many varieties of fine whiskey (ie. bourbon, scotch, irish whiskey....and such), or whatever floats your boat.....

I guess what i'm trying to say is, turn it into a hobby rather than a need/addiction.......

however you manage to quit good luck!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
One word......

Moderation

......its easy for a beer snob like me to say, who doesn't have the ability to get drunk (i know it sounds like bs, but i cant, so i have to need/desire to drink), but very nearly everything in life is fine in moderation.......

something that could help you stop is learning to enjoy the taste of fine alcohol. for one, it'll be too expensive to get drunk off of, but it'll also be a relaxing and enjoyable thing to do with friends, or just sit'n in front of the boob tube.

become a beer snob, or explore the many varieties of fine whiskey (ie. bourbon, scotch, irish whiskey....and such), or whatever floats your boat.....

I guess what i'm trying to say is, turn it into a hobby rather than a need/addiction.......

however you manage to quit good luck!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Two words:

Stop fvcking drinking.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i remember going to an AA meeting a long time ago. They are pretty similar to internet chat boards in that you have a diversity of people all with their own opinions spouting off like they know what they talk about. Well they do, when it comes to what they experienced, and what worked for them.
Sure everybody is different. But the basic reason why people are at a meeting is because they struggle with addiction. Just like the reason people peruse this and other mountain bikes sites.
So while there is alot of stuff to argue about, there is an equal amount to learn from, more stuff to learn about imo.

For instance at this particular meeting i am thinking about there was a discussion going around on how treatment centers aren't really worthwhile, and that AA was the place that helped them. There was an older lady who always frequented that meeting, and she spoke up. She talked about how that originally AA only had 6 steps, not 12, and her premise was that the fundamentals of keeping things simple in order to obstain from drinking was the true core strength of how AA first came to be. So her suggestion was doing whatever works to keep from drinking. i think she was picking up other members riding an AA high horse i suppose, and she was trying to demonstrate that it's a great tool, but it's not and never will be the best method.

The thing is any method that works, works. There is no argument that us true addict alcoholics cannot moderate. But how us wayfaring folk find our way home to a path of healing and growth, well thats something each of us have to find on our own. Many of us die before we get there, and i can assure anyone that's reading this, that i am pretty confident i would be part of that statistic by now. Having the assistance of others within some form of support group is essential, as is a trust in a higher power. So we need people, but we need ourselves to make the right choices.

What helped and still helps me is to honestly assess lessons. There are messages we all get in life if we are ready to listen. And even if they are lessons that don't make sense now, it's better to put them in the reserves for the time they do make sense for you. But the true goal is to stop drinking, using. And if there are failures, which relapses are but there are many other failures in sobriety, we strive to learn from them. The key that will bring the life of you and others who are close to a much much better place.

It's not easy.

Never give up.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Hadn't really paid this thread any attention before now but I just read it start to finish. Brian it's a great thing you're trying to do, congratulations.

Like JBP said, next time jump on the bike and go beat the snot out of yourself in the desert. Good luck man.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Worst advice ever. You should delete your post, then your account.
No kidding.

"Oh you're trying to quit? Ok...have a small glass of bourbon."

Quitting means stopping. As in, not doing it anymore. At all.

Stinky - like I said above, find the resolve. Drinking is not an option anymore. It is no longer available to you. Have a moment of grief, mourn the loss for a few minutes, then move on with your life.