Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Went down so hard on the snowboard today I done knocked myself cold, went into a seizure, damn near got the care flight down the mountain.

Got a CT scan of the head and my face, all is well, no bruising or bleeding.

Somehow this is my first concussion that has lead to a seizure. I think its time to get a helmet now for snowboarding.

Anyone gone down this hard? How long am I out of commission? The ER told me seven days after I start feeling 100%, but then my aunt the nurse got in on the gig with my mother, saying I need to chill for four months. I don't feel like waiting that long to get back to being dumb...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
After I managed to wipe out on a patch of hidden ice while snowboarding and waking up underneath a parked snowmobile with a concussion, I bought a helmet ASAP and have used it since.

I had a somewhat minor one, and I was only out for a few days, but I didn't have a seizure so it's not necessarily a direct comparison.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Went down so hard on the snowboard today I done knocked myself cold, went into a seizure, damn near got the care flight down the mountain.

Got a CT scan of the head and my face, all is well, no bruising or bleeding.

Somehow this is my first concussion that has lead to a seizure. I think its time to get a helmet now for snowboarding.

Anyone gone down this hard? How long am I out of commission? The ER told me seven days after I start feeling 100%, but then my aunt the nurse got in on the gig with my mother, saying I need to chill for four months. I don't feel like waiting that long to get back to being dumb...

I did the same thing years ago when I was a park rat on the mountain. Learning new tricks on the board and was dialing it in. The last that I remember I was moaning and convulsing pretty badly. I can't remember how long I was of commission though.

It is one of those things, especially with head trauma, where you will know when you are ready to get back out there. Your head will tell you, trust me. I am dealing with years of neglecting the symptoms right now, been 5 months, 3 out of work with many more to possible come. 5 concussions, shattered skull, countless hits to the head. For some reason I am more concerned with putting my arm out and breaking that so I tuck in my shoulder and use my head as a shock absorber. Idiot!

Take it easy and make sure to follow up with your doc and another CT/MRI if you are having any problems walking, talking, blurred vision, headaches, slurred speech...oh wait... you're Dirt, I'm not sure what you should look out for then. Just go check yourself into the hospital now and prepare for a long stay.

Get well!

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Wonder if they will build me the DirtMcGirk wing? Hot asian and blond nurses, thigh highs on all of them, stripper heels, big boobs...

I think the vicoprofin are kicking in.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Ok, who is the asshole who put "no snow in africa?"
Its "no snow below, no bells in hell." Get it right.

Going to order one of those Berns, those are sweet. Thanks for the direction Ruf

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Ok, who is the asshole who put "no snow in africa?"
Its "no snow below, no bells in hell." Get it right.

Going to order one of those Berns, those are sweet. Thanks for the direction Ruf
No prob. Been riding them for years on any bike besides my DH rig and for snowboarding. The baker and the watts. Greatest helmet I have ever ridden with. I might just order the carbon watts just because. I have some decal ideas that would work perfectly with that helmet.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Head injuries are no joke, even in your case.

Watch out for loss of normal motor skills and any of the symptoms Rufus mentioned.

Book mark this thread for future reference, you may not remember posting it.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
give yourself about 2 weeks before really going back out. at the very least, do pretty much nothing for the first week and take it really easy the 2nd week. definitely get a helmet, just make sure if you go with a bern that you get the eps model, not the hard hat. i'm a big fan of my baker that i got this season.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I used to laugh at helmets on snowboarders, but at my age, I wear one when I walk to the liquor store now.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I know it sucks, but this is where you err on the side of caution. It's your head, you're not getting a second chance with it. I've had a couple of concussions from hockey. Neither was particularly severe, but they're still scary. I've got about 45 min that I don't remember from the first one, and a couple of hours from the second. You'll probably feel like **** for a few days at least- bad headaches, nausea, etc. Even once you're feeling better, you don't want to give your head a big shot again for a while. I've been skiing with a helmet for quite a while, and at this point, I really can't see why you wouldn't. They're not that heavy or uncomfortable, they're warm, etc. No big downsides to them at all. Get yourself a helmet, and take it easy for a bit. Just remind yourself, a few extra days on the slopes isn't worth a potentially devastating accident.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I know it sucks, but this is where you err on the side of caution. It's your head, you're not getting a second chance with it. I've had a couple of concussions from hockey. Neither was particularly severe, but they're still scary. I've got about 45 min that I don't remember from the first one, and a couple of hours from the second. You'll probably feel like **** for a few days at least- bad headaches, nausea, etc. Even once you're feeling better, you don't want to give your head a big shot again for a while. I've been skiing with a helmet for quite a while, and at this point, I really can't see why you wouldn't. They're not that heavy or uncomfortable, they're warm, etc. No big downsides to them at all. Get yourself a helmet, and take it easy for a bit. Just remind yourself, a few extra days on the slopes isn't worth a potentially devastating accident.
Agreed, don't do what I did and end up missing the entire snowboarding season, board still full of dust in the basement, and had to miss the MOB race and Sea Otter so far.

Take it easy and relax. Read a book, do some memory games, puzzles, etc to keep the brain healthy.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Honestly... people that don't wear helmets out on the snow are a joke. Aside from the obvious head protection, it also does a far better job at keeping your head warm (or cool if you have adjustable vents) than any toboggan. Some helmets like my Giro have bluetooth capability and headphones. You can also attach your goggles to the clip on your helmet and the plastic shell keeps the goggles from shifting around and when you go in to get lunch taking your helmet/ goggles, and headphones off is all one piece. It's also much easier to put back on compared to plugging in your headphones, putting on your hat and fumbling around with the goggles to get them just right without trying to pull the hat around.

Not wearing a helmet is so amateur.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I went down last spring at a Plattekill race. I had been taking a different line of a drop then other people were and I messed up. Front wheel landed in a hole and I got thrown about 20 feet down the trail, hit my head and hand on a rock and got knocked out. I was out for 3 weeks with the concussion. My hand didn't heal for a month and a half though.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Rufus, you're my hero...

I am going to chill for this week. I need to get back up and try to make some money, but I am chilling like a villain for a week or so. No dirt jumping, no DH runs, no jibbing.

I also think I am going to retire from the terrain park for this season. I've taken a couple of good hits this year, one to my tail bone, one to my dome. I need to slow my roll, or I am going to be a cripple a lot sooner than I had planned on.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
if you don't like the bulkiness of a 'snowboard' helmet, i would suggest going with a skate lid. like a protec b2 or classic.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
if you don't like the bulkiness of a 'snowboard' helmet, i would suggest going with a skate lid. like a protec b2 or classic.
Unless you already have one, that really defeats a lot of the advantages of a real snow helmet.

I've never tried a Bern, but none of the Giro helmets that I've tried have been bulky.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think Rufus has me hooked up to finish the season.

I called work today, told them I would be MIA for the next seven days. The pay just isn't worth pushing the risk-o-meter on this one. What sucks though is that it appears its soon to be another in a rare series of powder days up there, but I am going to take it easy, tune bikes, watch films, beat the meat puppet until it thinks its a real boy.

Only get one brain, I should try harder to take care of it.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I've been wearing a helmet ever since ringing my bell really hard 5 or 6 years ago. I'm seriously considering wearing my full face when i'm planning a day of glades. Something about liking my teeth.