Quantcast

I'm sooo going to build one of these!!!

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Hotness.... Rockwells are kinda overkill... Sick ass rig... Awesome, hes using a turbo 22re 4cycl... I have the same motor, non turbo in my 4runner. Looks like he is only running a single transfercase... duals are where its at, espec with Toyota running gear. :thumb: MMM 300:1 crawl ratio. :thumb: I'd throw in a second case, ditch the rockwells for some Unimog 404 portals, and put some 37" MTRs on it. Although, fourtyfo's are the **** for tellico.

Heres what I have been drooling at...

67 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45, Volvo Portal axles, 2f motor, dual cases, 4link suspension on coils. bed bobbed 8". Ahh its sexy, I want it. the fj45s are sick.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

What chu drivin?
Andrew

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Did you guys see the Jeep concept rockcrawler? 4-wheel fully independent suspension and steering. It could pivot. Very cool.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Its definatley a cool concept, uses two motors. Theres a lot of very cool tech on it.
But I dont think It would work to well in the rocks to well....

Not a lot of usable flex with independant suspension. In and IFS rig, the front differential is attached to the frame. So as the control arms compress, the front dips. Using your front diff as a trail grader. Walker Eveans was using a 4 wheel indpendent suspension buggy earlyer last season for CALROCKS series. I think he went back to his solid axle buggy after 2 comps.

Although... Highspeed baha stuff rules with IFS.

mmmm 4runner rubicon flex...

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
heres some pics of my Grand on 35's right now its got stock axels and a stock suspesion setup...5.5" rubicon lift with trimmed fenders...

soon to be on d60's 39.5" irocks double tri front and rear suspension, sway-a-way 16" coil overs,atlasII transfer case, hydro assisted 1 ton steering, tubbed fender wells....etc.

My ZJ on 35's

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
that 4runner is unreal...

hey on pirate4x4 they got a buildup thread about a 95ish runner on unimog 404 portals and i believe 39's

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
hey stinky, wanna go wheelin tomoro? ever been to the powerlines trail out off canton highway? its ok

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
krazydher1 said:
hey stinky, wanna go wheelin tomoro? ever been to the powerlines trail out off canton highway? its ok

I cant tomorrow... School/work. I would definatley like at some point tho.
sick zj. I love the 4runner. I has visions of SAS dancing in my head....

shoot me a PM.

heres me..

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
chicodude01 said:
Silly rednecks...............
actualy lifted jeeps and yotas aren't as redneck as lifted chevy's and fords.

yotas and jeeps and buggys are actualy used, fords and chevy's are just show and no go

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
chicodude01 said:
Silly rednecks......
You ride a bike down a hill.

(hahahaha so do I tho.)
Im just trying to build the ultimate go anywhere shuttle/bike transport vehicle. Its a great little truck. its a 4cycl, gets great gas milage, passes emissions better than my moms 2000 vw beetle. The 4Runner is an 87. Hey, plus doin dounuts in mud, and drifting down dirt roads is great fun.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
krazydher1 said:
actualy lifted jeeps and yotas aren't as redneck as lifted chevy's and fords.

yotas and jeeps and buggys are actualy used, fords and chevy's are just show and no go

Nope, still just as redneckish.......

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Pssshhh... offroad.....

this is in my garage, you know you want one

5mph 2 feet off the ground or 120mph 2 inches off the ground.... I will take the latter

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
TheInedibleHulk said:
Pssshhh... offroad.....

this is in my garage, you know you want one

5mph 2 feet off the ground or 120mph 2 inches off the ground.... I will take the latter
Well I take it you have never been in an off road race car going 120 mph 6 feet off the mother earth :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: ,BTW is that a Fourmula Ford or like that :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
=[Stinky]= said:
Not a lot of usable flex with independant suspension. In and IFS rig, the front differential is attached to the frame. So as the control arms compress, the front dips. Using your front diff as a trail grader. Walker Eveans was using a 4 wheel indpendent suspension buggy earlyer last season for CALROCKS series. I think he went back to his solid axle buggy after 2 comps.
Interesting. I never knew that. I htough that solid axles were used more b/c of $. AN I figured that they were stronger b/c something w/out pivots is usually stronger than somehting with pivots.

This is my friends VT redneck mobile. The guy with his back to the camera just bought a Wrangler Rubicon. It'll be lifted w/ 33's in the next few weeks.

Attachments

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Repack said:
Interesting. I never knew that. I htough that solid axles were used more b/c of $. AN I figured that they were stronger b/c something w/out pivots is usually stronger than somehting with pivots.
Yeah... thats what im saying, a solid axle for off road trail riding, or rock crawling is perferred over an IFS set up. It will be stronger, and less prone to breakage. But everything is breakable. However, Solid axles are not fun for hauling thru the desert at 100.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
=[Stinky]= said:
Yeah... thats what im saying, a solid axle for off road trail riding, or rock crawling is perferred over an IFS set up. It will be stronger, and less prone to breakage. But everything is breakable. However, Solid axles are not fun for hauling thru the desert at 100.
I definitely understand IFS w/ the Baja. I was also thinking that IFS would be better for crawlin' b/c the suspension would allow the wheel to stay more perpendicular to the ground. Never occurred to me that the articulation would expose the underbelly as it compressed, but now I see how it works out.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
shocktower said:
Well I take it you have never been in an off road race car going 120 mph 6 feet off the mother earth :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: ,BTW is that a Fourmula Ford or like that :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Formula SAE, honda CBR F3 motor. All designed and handbuilt by yours truly and my friend Ben. Its currently in need of some repairs to the front suspension, but it is for sale.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Repack said:
Did you guys see the Jeep concept rockcrawler? 4-wheel fully independent suspension and steering. It could pivot. Very cool.
Let us not forget also the two (2) independent V8 engines in that thing.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Barbaton said:
Let us not forget also the two (2) independent V8 engines in that thing.
Didn't know that! I just saw some quick footage of the thing spinning 360's during the (I htink) Detroit Auto Sho. Just enough to see fully independent suspension and the steering. Didn't know anything beyond that.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
Repack said:
I definitely understand IFS w/ the Baja. I was also thinking that IFS would be better for crawlin' b/c the suspension would allow the wheel to stay more perpendicular to the ground. Never occurred to me that the articulation would expose the underbelly as it compressed, but now I see how it works out.

say theres a rock 2 ft tall...You drive a normal IFS 4x4 up to it and drive just the right front tire onto it..ok, then the left front tire is going to come off the ground...then the gives u only 3 tire with traction...with straight axel u would have 4 tires on the ground with traction...

now just cuz u have straight axel doesn't mean u can go on all the rock krawling trails...u gotta have lockers and all that stuff.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
The advantage of a solid front axle.

The truck, at such an off camber situation still has all four wheels on the group, and with a limited slip, or locked differental, traction is not an issue.

=[Stinky]=

Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Oh yeah? gettin a Taco? One of the new ones? I recomend a the hoodscoop. Totally makes it go faster. I test drove a 4 door V8, sweet truck. But im biased. Im a toyota guy.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
New, I wish. I'm gonna have to go used. Assuming I can pull 5gs for my honda, I'll have like 7 or 8 to put towards teh truck. I might have to wait another year, but we'll see. I've added a Wrangler to the list, though. I always did want one of those...