Quantcast

I'm Sorry Pastor, But You Have No Rights...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I was nitpicking neither grammar nor spelling, it's a matter of using terms with specific ramifications in the context of the discussion.
Now I remember why I don't visit this forum anymore... Even when I use a smilie people can't tell when I'm goofing (1st part).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Random screening is definitely a technique used by the TSA.
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/random_screening_at_gates.shtm

And if you believe you can determine hostile intent via micro-expressions, and want to call that targeted screening, well then... I just don't know what to say. I see it as little different than random selection.
Rick, this is why legal topics are hopeless with you, and possibly why conspiracy-theorist 'logic' appeals to you.

No one said random screening WASN'T used by the TSA. The point was that you claimed to be linking to evidence of the effectiveness of random screening, yet none of the 3 articles pertained to it in the least. Two were about universal screening, and one was about targeted screening.

I also never commented on the effectiveness of targeted screening. It is, however, the precise opposite of random screening.

The point is not my support or criticism of any technique used by TSA. It's that you can't maintain a cogent line of thought, no matter how non-confused you claim to be.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
^^ But there's this guy...and he's been screened and detained like 500 times...cause he looks like a crack dealer...he really does deal crack and the dogs sniffed it....but he's innocent this time...really...but there's this other guy, right, that didn't do anything...but stand there by the dog, right....and this woman said that he was a crack dealer...and the dog alerted...but on the wrong guy...cause it's all out there...we have no freedom...the random screens are really targeted and the targets are really random...but this guy was totally not doing anything wrong...abuse of pow-ah!!

:rolleyes:

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
No one said random screening WASN'T used by the TSA. The point was that you claimed to be linking to evidence of the effectiveness of random screening, yet none of the 3 articles pertained to it in the least. Two were about universal screening, and one was about targeted screening.
If you would like to put all the focus on the word random, be my guest. I apologize for using it (and for trying to defend using it). What I was trying to focus on was the ineffectiveness of screening in general.

My point was that I believe that these types of searches (that the pastor refused) are unconstitutional, and the evidence shows that they are generally ineffective. Furthermore, if one asserts their rights to be free from unreasonable search, things will likely end up badly for the citizen.

Was that a bit more cogent? I doubled up my dosage of meds this morning. I think it helped.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
More cogent: check
More epic fail: check

Searches exist for a reason. If Joe the crack dealer is inconvenienced by a search (targeted, random, f*ckstick, etc), well, sux for him. If you're inconvenienced by a search (targeted, random, f*ckstick, etc), sux for you. If you're both inconvenienced by a search, big whoopedydoo. The thing is, your interpretation of what is a legal search is so narrow, people doing bad things would have to have a neon sign proclaiming them. It dun't werk that whey.

I'm just glad a majority of the country doesn't agree with your outlook.

Get over yourself.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Illegal immigration is the prefect pretense under which to erode personal freedoms. Using fear as a tool with which to control the population is not a new strategy, it's been keeping power structures and the status quo in place for thousands of years.

The reason that such actions are tolerated has more to do with the fact that few seem to become aware of this fact, either the state destroys any natural human tendency to mistrust authority (in this case the state) via indoctrination, or, if this fails, makes use of propaganda to elevate the fear of external and internal enemies (crime, poverty, immigrants, other nations, etc.) to a degree that allows them to remove basic rights from the people with no opposition.

That's my take on the situation anyway.

Last edited: