Quantcast

I'm starting to get annoyed with the Airlines...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
if they start banning iPods and computers they are going to have problems filling plaines...Sounds stupid but just watch...there are some things you just prevent...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
if they start banning iPods and computers they are going to have problems filling plaines...Sounds stupid but just watch...there are some things you just prevent...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you serious?

Yeah, because they had trouble filling planes before MP3 players were prevalant. And of course people will change their travel plans to see their families and go on vacations just because they can't listen to music.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
On my flight this morning they were allowing electronic devices, just not "liquids, gels or creams" - I think I heard that statement 50 times in an hour and a half in the terminal.

I know the electronics are ok on domestic flights, not sure about international.... have a good trip and try not to freak out at security, I've heard the additional search is a little humbling.:)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
binary visions said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Are you serious?

Yeah, because they had trouble filling planes before MP3 players were prevalant. And of course people will change their travel plans to see their families and go on vacations just because they can't listen to music.
I dunno BV, my choice of airline includes whether or not they have PersonalTVs . No PTV no VB unless it's hell cheap. Hell I'll go 20% up if it has AVOD. Haven't needed to read a book on a plane for yonks.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I'm just glad this didn't happen when I flew back from Houston on the first. All my stuff was in carryons and I had a case of Guarana in my bag that my aunt got for me (she's Brazilian).

They did stop me at security and ruffle through my bags. Apparently they couldn't see through my Look roadie pedals and were baffled at what they were. :p

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
narlus said:
'sorry boss, i can't fly down to make that meeting. the airline won't allow my iPod'.
Sure boss, I'll fly down for that meeting. Checking my laptop filled with important company data is ok, right? I can't take it on the plane.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I am to the point of wondering what CAN you take with you? What person flying doesn't take shampoo/toothpaste/lotion/hand cleaner/deoderant etc...??? So what......I'm suspose to find a place to buy all this stuff once I've landed? What if there's no walmart/kmart/drug store around?

Truth is.......and I know everyone knows this......is if there is a way to make a bomb or explosive device they will figure it out. You can ban all carry on's and check in's and still something will happen. They'll figure a way to have the soles of their shoes explosive.........or lace their clothes with someting...I mean it's never ending. I know they aren't the brightest people on the planet but you'd think knowing that the airplane idea is toast as there's such security around it they'd find a different way.....some of the pics they showed on CNN were suitcases full of liquids........like it wasn't obvious what was happening. But in a sense I guess we can thank parts of Europe that house these guys for years and years and didn't do anything about them. It was a safehaven it seems for terrorists for decades. But now that they feel that it's effecting them they put the hammer down? Shouldn't they have done this years ago before it came to them doing dry runs of what they wanted to do?

It sucks as well because this happened internationally, but it becomes everyone's fault (all airports in the world) for it. They should just watch and pick through international flights and leave in country flights (like within the USA as an example) to the normal standards.....but once you want to leave the U.S you should have to pass through some strict pat-downs/going through all of your stuff deal.

It's like if you can't travel with what you need weather it's camera gear/bike stuff/whatever then why travel at all? It sure is faster than driving....but once you get 2+ people in it driving becomes cheaper (in some cases) and atleast then you can take whatever you want. It bugs me that they want to control everything so much. I remember always hearing about a crash here or there and everyone on the plane dying. It's bound to happen. It's just how it is. If they were leaving the U.K on U.S.A bound planes and blew them up in the middle of the ocean it was an act of terror.......but not 100% against the U.S.

I wish I got to see the world like 30 years ago LOL........by the time I am ready to fly someplace outside of the U.S I won't even be able to take a wallet or anything.........all your ticket will include is your seat. No baggage, no carry on's, nothing.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
eventually we'll have to fly naked, wrapped in clear cellophane. mark my words.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
maxyedor said:
I've heard from a TSA employee, and I can't seem to find it on TSA's website, so who knows how much truth there is in it, that they will be baning all carry-on lugage, period. This inludes Laptops, iPods, cellphones, cameras, magazines ect. You will only be allowed to bring on baby food, and vital medicine, and car-keys (but not keys with electric fobs of any sort.

I have a job in China coming up, and I really don't trust bagage handlers with over $70,000 in photo gear. And what the hell am I suposed to do without my bottle of vodka and my iPod?
Same situation, I leave Friday for Worlds in NZ. All carry on is already banned on any flight going through in or out of the UK and now some of Europe.

Don't knee jerk reactions rule?

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
robdamanii said:
I'm seriously considering popping a valium before I fly on tuesday. Airport security and their crap tends to make me a raving lunatic anyway, and I'm sure these little thrills won't make it any better.
Why stop there. Take the whole bottle and do us a favor?

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I'm going to Vancouver for a week to fly floatplanes. I'm going to keep some chapstick in my pocket..!

.... "Breaking the law". LOL

How about a tshirt with a printed picture of an explosive bomb on it.That would confuse them. They would probably charge you with bringing a bomb on the plane !

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Spunger said:
I am to the point of wondering what CAN you take with you? What person flying doesn't take shampoo/toothpaste/lotion/hand cleaner/deoderant etc...??? So what......I'm suspose to find a place to buy all this stuff once I've landed? What if there's no walmart/kmart/drug store around?

Truth is.......and I know everyone knows this......is if there is a way to make a bomb or explosive device they will figure it out. You can ban all carry on's and check in's and still something will happen. They'll figure a way to have the soles of their shoes explosive.........or lace their clothes with someting...I mean it's never ending. I know they aren't the brightest people on the planet but you'd think knowing that the airplane idea is toast as there's such security around it they'd find a different way.....some of the pics they showed on CNN were suitcases full of liquids........like it wasn't obvious what was happening. But in a sense I guess we can thank parts of Europe that house these guys for years and years and didn't do anything about them. It was a safehaven it seems for terrorists for decades. But now that they feel that it's effecting them they put the hammer down? Shouldn't they have done this years ago before it came to them doing dry runs of what they wanted to do?

It sucks as well because this happened internationally, but it becomes everyone's fault (all airports in the world) for it. They should just watch and pick through international flights and leave in country flights (like within the USA as an example) to the normal standards.....but once you want to leave the U.S you should have to pass through some strict pat-downs/going through all of your stuff deal.

It's like if you can't travel with what you need weather it's camera gear/bike stuff/whatever then why travel at all? It sure is faster than driving....but once you get 2+ people in it driving becomes cheaper (in some cases) and atleast then you can take whatever you want. It bugs me that they want to control everything so much. I remember always hearing about a crash here or there and everyone on the plane dying. It's bound to happen. It's just how it is. If they were leaving the U.K on U.S.A bound planes and blew them up in the middle of the ocean it was an act of terror.......but not 100% against the U.S.

I wish I got to see the world like 30 years ago LOL........by the time I am ready to fly someplace outside of the U.S I won't even be able to take a wallet or anything.........all your ticket will include is your seat. No baggage, no carry on's, nothing.
You need to watch the news more

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
robdamanii said:
So far I've been on the phone with 5 different people from 2 different airlines. NOBODY can tell me what the baggage limit for my inter-island flight is (basically, since we're diving, we have to go over the limit, but how much over max is allowed). Furthermore, I've gotten 3 different explanations on what is allowed in a carry-on after this crap in London.

All I can say is...if I have to check my SLR, laptop and underwater camera, I'm going to throw a sh!t fit at the security station.
Don't be that guy.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
tozovr said:
Don't be that guy.
Sure, I won't be that guy when the following occurs.

1 - the airline assumes responsibility for all $25 000 or so in computer and camera equipment i am forced to check. This includes both theft and damage.

2 - the airline improves baggage handling to the point where i am guarantees they will not lose the tools of my trade that I need to work when I get to the other end of my flight or option 2 - instantly provide me a check with enough $$$ to cover rental of ALL equipment and software needed to complete my job after they lose my gear. They must also arrange for it to be present at my hotel by the time i get there.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Transcend said:
Sure, I won't be that guy when the following occurs.

1 - the airline assumes responsibility for all $25 000 or so in computer and camera equipment i am forced to check. This includes both theft and damage.

2 - the airline improves baggage handling to the point where i am guarantees they will not lose the tools of my trade that I need to work when I get to the other end of my flight or option 2 - instantly provide me a check with enough $$$ to cover rental of ALL equipment and software needed to complete my job after they lose my gear. They must also arrange for it to be present at my hotel by the time i get there.

My son's Godmother is a Purser for United. How about you get to bitch about your material possesions, and take responsibility for my friends life? Not very equitable.

the original poster was upset about having to check his camera? How did my friend Lina feel getting on a plane Thursday morning? Stuff can be replaced should it get damaged.

RJ

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
tozovr said:
My son's Godmother is a Purser for United. How about you get to bitch about your material possesions, and take responsibility for my friends life?

the original poster was upset about having to check his camera? How did my friend Lina feel getting on a plane Thursday morning? Stuff can be replaced should it get damaged.

RJ
If they're willing to pay for it, I really don't care. Upon speaking to the airline rep they "aren't responsible for anything that's checked, that's your problem".

Sorry if she's in danger, but there ARE other jobs out there.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
robdamanii said:
If they're willing to pay for it, I really don't care. Upon speaking to the airline rep they "aren't responsible for anything that's checked, that's your problem".

Sorry if she's in danger, but there ARE other jobs out there.
You are absolutely correct. In fact she's trying to get into the union side of things these days.

I feel your pain when checking things too...I'm a longboard surfer...actually seen the baggage cart-mobile run over a friends boardbag. Of course they've always paid for replacements...I know others aren't so lucky.

RJ

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
tozovr said:
My son's Godmother is a Purser for United. How about you get to bitch about your material possesions, and take responsibility for my friends life? Not very equitable.

RJ
And I have a few high iron workers as friends. They accept the dangers of their jobs. Period. If you don't like it, get another job.

If they want to cover everything as stated above, I will be more than happy to check it. I don't typically enjoy lugging almost 75lbs of gear onto a plane with me.

Before you mention something about being overweight, working press has special privileges when it comes to carrying camera gear on board (thanks NPPA). I also always request to pre board when i know it will take me a minute or 3 to get situated once on board.

Banning all electronics and carry ons from commercial airlines is simply another cocked up kneejerk reaction to a relatively straightforward situation. It won't help prevent people from blowing up a plane. All it does is inconvenience PAYING customers. The same goes for banning all liquids purchased AFTER you have cleared security, banning books and banning any medication where the label "doesn't look authentic". (See an RM users thread about his wife from a day or so ago).

It will be an excellent way to lose your job when your airline goes bankrupt due to lack of customers.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
tozovr said:
You are absolutely correct. In fact she's trying to get into the union side of things these days.

I feel your pain when checking things too...I'm a longboard surfer...actually seen the baggage cart-mobile run over a friends boardbag. Of course they've always paid for replacements...I know others aren't so lucky.

RJ
They are only responsible up to a certain $ amount, I believe it is $300 for any regular checked baggage. Bikes and surfboards you pay extra for, and they typically cover a bit more. I have collected NUMEROUS times on bikes they have damaged. Having to almost guarantee a claim at the other end doesn't exactly instill confidence, especially when flying halfway around the world to do a job (as I will be doing next Friday).

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Transcend said:
And I have a few high iron workers as friends. They accept the dangers of their jobs. Period. If you don't like it, get another job.
Quid pro quo. Don't like the hassles of flying? Get a different job...

we could go on and on, but what's the point? throwing a hissy at the security checkpoint just adds to the tension and the delays...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
tozovr said:

we could go on and on, but what's the point? throwing a hissy at the security checkpoint just adds to the tension and the delays...
If I get arrested for kicknig a TSA agent in the beanbag, I'll be sure to let you know.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
tozovr said:

Nopt the same thing as I don't work for the airline. I am paying in excess of $1600 for the "privelege" of having to put up with ridiculous TSA regulations.

Banning books, cameras, laptops etc solves nothing. It is simply there to make the Govt look like they are actually doing something in response to a massive possible security breach.

Watch out, i may blow this plane up with the latest harry potter paperback!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Transcend said:
Nopt the same thing as I don't work for the airline. I am paying in excess of $1600 for the "privelege" of having to put up with ridiculous TSA regulations.

Banning books, cameras, laptops etc solves nothing. It is simply there to make the Govt look like they are actually doing something in response to a massive possible security breach.

Watch out, i may blow this plane up with the latest harry potter paperback!
You better watch out Hank. I bet there are TSA agents reading this board right now that will be waiting to greet you upon your departure. Afterall, maybe you soaked your liquid IED materials into the pages of the book and will blow up the plane with your magic wand.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
COmtbiker12 said:
You better watch out HANK. I bet there are TSA agents reading this board right now that will be waiting to greet you upon your departure. Afterall, maybe you soaked your liquid IED materials into the pages of the book and will blow up the plane with your magic wand.
I never thought of that, you are a terrorist mastermind! I'm reporting you to DHS. Shrub and Dick are gonna have agents bangin down your door.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You know, if they discount my ticket the price of Fedexing 30 lbs of stuff to my destination, we'll call it even.

That's the way a market should work, no?