Quantcast

I'm sure my neighbors thought I was crazy . . .

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I had a couple of grill recipes that I've been wanting to try out. So this evening, with -6 degree temperature outside, I started up the grill. So worth it! Dry-Rubbed Pork Chops, grilled Portabello mushrooms, with Ginger & Cider Mashed Sweet Potatoes. A little taste of summer on such a cold night. And wonderful smell in the crisp air. Let's see . . . what else on the grill this weekend. Who else is still braving the cold with their grill?

toby

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I had a couple of grill recipes that I've been wanting to try out. So this evening, with -6 degree temperature outside, I started up the grill. So worth it! Dry-Rubbed Pork Chops, grilled Portabello mushrooms, with Ginger & Cider Mashed Sweet Potatoes. A little taste of summer on such a cold night. And wonderful smell in the crisp air. Let's see . . . what else on the grill this weekend. Who else is still braving the cold with their grill?

toby
Can't say it's been -6 here, but I grilled out here in Sea-Town while it was hovering around 25 with some snow. I love it. New overhang lets me grill in rainstorms too. It rulz.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Recipe for the mashed potatoes please!
3 medium Sweet Potatoes
4 Cups Apple Cider (I used less - a small 16oz container, and I'd use even less next time)
1/4 Cup minced Ginger
2T Butter (I used half of that)
Dash of Cinnamon
Salt and Pepper

Place potatoes in large pot, cover with water, and boil until tender. Drain and cool. Peel and cut into large cubes. I skipped all this and just microwaved the potatoes until soft (about 8-10 minutes on High or so). Allowed them to cool and scraped the potatoe from the skins with a spoon.

Bring cider, half the ginger, and cinnamon, to boil in a saucepan. Reuduce liquid to about 1 cup. (This takes a rather long time and I got a little impatient).

Transfer cider liquid, potatoes, and remaining ginger to a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy. Add salt & pepper to taste.

Very quick for the most part esp. if you use the microwave for the potatoes. And delicious!

toby

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
We were grilling in the cold last week. It was fun to watch the snowflakes melt as they hit it. It sure took a long time to get up to temp, though.

gg

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Can't do it in NYC, but I used to back in the PNW all the time. Doesn't get as cold as you, but most definitely worth it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
We're smoking a pork shoulder today. But it's only raining and in the 40's, so not ridiculously cold. We never stop grilling.