Quantcast

I'm tempted to become the ebayer I hate.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So I put a bunch of random bike stuff from my garage on ebay. The crappiest two things I listed happen to be Shimano branded. Other nicer items are Fox, Thomson, etc. The Shimano stuff has gotten WAY more page views than the other stuff. My guess is that it's because Shimano is in the title of the ad? I really hate when people title an ad like "Time ATAC pedals NR shimano sram avid intense giant trek specialized" but damn, it certainly seems to get the ad more exposure. Should I become that which I despise?

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Echo said:
So I put a bunch of random bike stuff from my garage on ebay. The crappiest two things I listed happen to be Shimano branded. Other nicer items are Fox, Thomson, etc. The Shimano stuff has gotten WAY more page views than the other stuff. My guess is that it's because Shimano is in the title of the ad? I really hate when people title an ad like "Time ATAC pedals NR shimano sram avid intense giant trek specialized" but damn, it certainly seems to get the ad more exposure. Should I become that which I despise?
Don't be a dillhole. The Shimano stuff gets more interest because people are looking for Shimano stuff. If I search for "Shimano XT" and get a Pink Huffy unicycle in the results doesn't mean I'm interested in the Huffy. Anyway, got any good XC forks for sale? XC cranksets?

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
ghostrider said:
Don't be a dillhole. The Shimano stuff gets more interest because people are looking for Shimano stuff. If I search for "Shimano XT" and get a Pink Huffy unicycle in the results doesn't mean I'm interested in the Huffy. Anyway, got any good XC forks for sale? XC cranksets?
:stupid:
Yeah I hate that crap. People searching for Shimano aren't looking for anything made by Fox, Thomson, etc.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sorgie said:
:stupid:
Yeah I hate that crap. People searching for Shimano aren't looking for anything made by Fox, Thomson, etc.
It could be they are just wandering aimlessly around ebay and all they need is to see an ad for a Thomson stem to get them interested.

But I do think it's a crappy way to list stuff and that's why I haven't done it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Make sure you put "not" in the title, just in case. As in "Time Attack pedals NOT weapon of mass desruction, look, shimano..."

So people searching for weapons will find your ad and say "Hey, i could use some pedals"...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
robdamanii said:
Do it. Be warned though, if someone reports it, they'll pull it. I had that happen to a guitar I listed as "Alvarez, like epiphone, gibson, etc" and they yanked it for misrepresentation.

Really? That's weird. 90% the world's cheap guitars are either Gibson LP or Fender Strat clones. If I wanted to auction a Schecter stratocaster copy how else would/could you list it other than "Schecter Stratocaster Clone"? Retards.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
jdschall said:
Really? That's weird. 90% the world's cheap guitars are either Gibson LP or Fender Strat clones. If I wanted to auction a Schecter stratocaster copy how else would/could you list it other than "Schecter Stratocaster Clone"? Retards.
Tell me about it. And because of their shenanigans, it ended up selling for 40 bucks less than it would have.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Echo said:
It could be they are just wandering aimlessly around ebay and all they need is to see an ad for a Thomson stem to get them interested.

But I do think it's a crappy way to list stuff and that's why I haven't done it.
Very possible..., but it looks like half the stuff you have listed has bids, so people are definitely seeing it. Not sure what to tell you, I always search for item, not brand, so I get everything.
I don't care either way. I'm just babbling cus I don't feel like doing any more work today.:D

J

JRB

Might as well be hated on eBay too. :D

*it's a joke for anyone that might not know that.

I really hate when it says not blah blah blah and refuse to bid.