Quantcast

I'm useless, so help me pick a fork

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
looks like the shimmied version is only $180 more....though after half a year it might be more better.
the CR is, in my understanding, basically the same cart as the 2010/11 EVO cart. shimmed compression and ported rebound.

the 55 CR feels retarded nice FWIW.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
looks like the shimmied version is only $180 more....though after half a year it might be more better.
Just because it's more expensive, doesn't mean its better. :). They have stumbled across something very nice with the CR. Like I've said before, if I were buying a new DH fork now I'd get a 888 CR with a ti spring, and my price difference between a CR and RC3 v2 isn't much at all.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Just because it's more expensive, doesn't mean its better. :). They have stumbled across something very nice with the CR. Like I've said before, if I were buying a new DH fork now I'd get a 888 CR with a ti spring, and my price difference between a CR and RC3 v2 isn't much at all.
do you know if the damper in the 55 cr is the same? they are quite cheap here right now

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What's the difference between the CR and the RC3 when it comes to being able to tune it on the fly? My last 888 was an RC3, the first year, and I loved that fork.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the CR is, in my understanding, basically the same cart as the 2010/11 EVO cart. shimmed compression and ported rebound.

the 55 CR feels retarded nice FWIW.
Did not know that. that does make it a nice deal. I thought the compression was ported like the older junior Ts.

See above. I thought the compression side was ported. A shimmed compression damper is well worth it, IMO, but I thought you were missing out on that going with the RC vs. the RC3.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
derp mcgerp-
it looks like you lose out on the VA (volume adjust) which controls progressiveness similar to oil heights (according to their website). You also lose the shimmed rebound adjuster, which I imagine you wouldn't miss if you loved a previous fork. Looks like neither fork has externally adjustable high speed compression, though both have low speed?

I just got myself an older 66, I've got to figure out what all the knobs do!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
derp mcgerp-
it looks like you lose out on the VA (volume adjust) which controls progressiveness similar to oil heights (according to their website). You also lose the shimmed rebound adjuster, which I imagine you wouldn't miss if you loved a previous fork. Looks like neither fork has externally adjustable high speed compression, though both have low speed?

I just got myself an older 66, I've got to figure out what all the knobs do!
you can easily adjust the volume by adding a few CC's of oil to the fork leg... sure not on the fly, but who adjusts volume for every run anyhow? se and forget, yo!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
What's the difference between the CR and the RC3 when it comes to being able to tune it on the fly? My last 888 was an RC3, the first year, and I loved that fork.
compression knob on both. rebound knob on both. spring preload on both. no volume adjust externally on the CR.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
do you know if the damper in the 55 cr is the same? they are quite cheap here right now
As far as I know it is. I just picked one up for my mini DH bike (which is finally almost done, just waiting on rims and spokes!). I'll hopefully have some ride time on it by the end of the month, stay tuned. Out of the box though it feels gooood in my ultra practical garage bounce test.