Quantcast

iMac G4

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Is one of these worth $150? Not sure if it's the 15" or the 17" (17 has more RAM and a DVDRW), but I'm very tempted to pick it up as a play with fun computer. I probably wouldn't use it for anything but the web and casual image editing (Photochop), and to see if I should truly save up for a new iMac.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Oh heck ya. It's one of the flat screens, I'm assuming?

My desktop is an eMac G4 (the same thing but with a CRT monitor) and it works just fine for anything I do.

Aug 31, 2006
G4 is a solid processor.

My last job, I used a G4 and was able to manipulate large photoshop files, rip large PDFs, etc...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm just afraid it would be so much slower than my PC (64 3000, gig of ram etc) that I would hate it. Eh...Maxy is right...I can always resell :)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
They have three and are selling them on Thursday...they expect a crowd. Not only that, but it's not for sure if they work. One had an ominous postit about a missing hard drive and erased passwords. However, they're all 17inch 800mhz with 512 of RAM and (possibly) 80 gb HDDs. Hooray for surplus.

Dammit, I have to wake up at 7:30 AM.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The 17s are a really good value at that price. get in line early. New HDDs are cheap, and an OS wipe will remove any password issues.
Yessir.

They have a pile of 466mhz G4s in the back just for you Mac freaks...at fifty bucks a pop, you could build a shrine! ;)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I am the proud new owner of an iMac G4. 800mhz PPC, 512 of RAM, and a 60gb HDD. Only 15 inch, but I'll live. The uni tech people are retards and nuked all of the iMacs before selling them...without reinstalling OS X. However, I am the lucky neighbor of a couple graphic designers who have a retail Tiger, so I was in the money.

First impressions (Coming from a PC user all his life):

-Dear God, was it really that easy? I plugged it in, popped in the OS X install DVD, and it all worked. No hiccups. Just flat out worked. No workarounds, no reacharounds, no hacking, no cracking.

-Everything is beautiful. Windows now looks like absolute horse **** to me.

-Useful gadgets that come bundles with the OS. And who can forget MSJ?

-Slower than my PC. By a lot. However, my PC is about 3 years more current than this, and it was to be expected. Will definently pickup another 512 of RAM when I get the chance.

-Screen size. Is it possible to get this out of the native 1024x768? I find myself running out of room.

-Kooky Apple things like the single button mouse, dock, etc. All should be sorted in time.

My desktop is ridiculously clean and neat looking. PCs are ugly. The major thing that strikes me about the iMac is the ease of use...it's ridiculous. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the iMac is probably the best computer for 80% of people out there for home use. Unless you're into hardcore gaming or need a machine for PC-specific software, the iMac is it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Blue, click the blue Apple icon in the upper left corner, then click system preferences, then click displays. Not sure if you can switch to anything that will give you more room, but that's how you would do it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Blue, click the blue Apple icon in the upper left corner, then click system preferences, then click displays. Not sure if you can switch to anything that will give you more room, but that's how you would do it.
Yeah...tried that already...guess I'm stuck with 1024x768.

This does have me set on getting one of the new iMacs though...I'll have difficulty getting myself to buy another PC.

I think I'm going to tear the SATA HDD out of my PC and put it in an enclosure for the Mac, then put an IDE HDD into the PC and run OS X on it as well.

IT WILL BE A MAC PARTY!