Quantcast

IMBA Epic ride/workparty/campout at Skookum

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
IMBA & BBTC Presents the 2004 Epic at Skookum Flats
This Weekend​

Each year IMBA selects for of the best riding spots in the country to hold their Epic Celebrations. This hear they have honored the great State of Washington by asking BBTC to host the celebration in the Skookum Flats area, which includes Skookum Flats, White River Trail, Palisades, Ranger Creek, Noble Nob and Suntop.

The event is free, but you need toregister online with IMBA, or call them at 1-888-442-4622. Limited to the first 100 bikers who register. Please be sure that you've signed up on IMBA's website.

Volunteers Needed
  • Grillmaster - coordinate all the cooking.
  • Do you have a portable propane stove? We need it to make spaghetti on Saturday night.
  • Can you bring a cooler full of ice?
  • We need <b>lots of firewood</b> to keep us all warm and happy at night.
  • Can you cook spaghetti sauce ahead of time? Both carnivore and vegetable version needed.
Contact justin@vanderpol.org"> at 206-390-2237 if you can lend assistance with any of the above.

SCHEDULE
Friday: Show up and camp. Evening shenanigans are optional.

Saturday:
9:00 am Trailwork prep talk and safety briefing
9:30 am - 1:00 pm, Trailwork
3:00 pm optional group ride or bike polo at the airstrip
6:30 pm group dinner. Spaghetti and French bread - $5 optional donation
8:00 pm - 10:00 ride briefing - then get down and party. Beer provided by IMBA.

Sunday:
8:30 am split into groups and ride!
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm finish rides and head on home

We'll be meeting at the Ranger Creek Airstrip. All rides and the trailwork will start from our campsite. We'll be easy to find, just look for all the bikes. There are primitive campsites all around the airstrip.

Directions: Get yourself to Enumclaw. In Enumclaw take highway 410 south going towards Mt. Rainier and go about 28 miles. Just
past mile marker 54 turn right onto Buck Creek Road. Cross over the river and you'll find parking on your left.

If you would like to stay in a hotel rather than rough it in the woods, you can stay in Enumclaw. There are several hotels in town, including the
Best Western. They can be reached at 360-825-4490.

What to Bring
  • All the things you need for a big ride: bike, helmet, water, food, repair kit, and legs ready to grind.
  • Camping gear: A warm sleeping bag, tent, etc...
  • Portable chair if you've got one.
  • Tarps and line to keep us out of the elements.
  • Firewood if you've got it
  • Work clothes: sturdy footwear, heavy gloves, any trailbuilding tools you have (pulaski, macleod, shovel, pick, pruners, etc)
  • Food and drink for all meals except dinner and beer on Saturday.
  • Talkabout radio if you've got one. We use channel 5-5.

We'll make sure the campsite is comfortable. We'll have the 3 BBTC tents set up, we'll have tarps is its wet out, and Justin is bringin his patio heat lamp so there will be a nice warm place to hang out.

The Rides
Three different levels of rides will be held on Sunday. The exact routes will be determined by our ride leaders, but they will be as follows:

Social. Easy pace, fun ride, and lots of talking. White River/Skookum with optional bailouts.

Intermediate: Moderate paced riding on technical singletrack with rolling hills that won't exceed 1000 feet of elevation change. This ride will probably be on the Skookum Flats/White River loop.

Hard-but not core: Big climbs with serious elevation gain up to the beautiful ridges above the valley. Pace will be fairly fast, but with plenty of chances to stop and enjoy the scenery. Route may include a fireroad climb with singletrack descents. The usual suspects are in play here, but we're not sure which route we'll choose: Noble Nob, Palisades, Ranger Creek.

Hardcore!: Big singletrack climbs (depending on conditions), fast pace, and not much stopping. This will be truly epic for those who love a challenge.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Ya, I saw that on the BBTC site and it looks like it's going to be alot of fun. Good thing it won't be dry...that would be alot of dust to maneuver around in.
I can't commit to a damned thing until I have my bike for sure...it's not for sure as of yet:mad:.
I need at least one more rip on Ranger Creek before it gets too late out there - that is the bestest singletrack that I have ridden...so far.:D

veloyaj

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
Oly
Hi, all...I am definately going. Anyone in the Tacoma area want to carpool? I will be leaving early Saturday morning. From what I understand there are spots left.

DBR X6 RIDER said:
Ya, I saw that on the BBTC site and it looks like it's going to be alot of fun. Good thing it won't be dry...that would be alot of dust to maneuver around in.
I can't commit to a damned thing until I have my bike for sure...it's not for sure as of yet:mad:.
I need at least one more rip on Ranger Creek before it gets too late out there - that is the bestest singletrack that I have ridden...so far.:D
How is that Ranger creek??? Skookum mentioned something about a possible way to shuttle it? I'm down for a good push as I only have one bike but I wanted to know how long it would take a fatboy to get up it??? Have you ridden Crystal Mtn.? I did that twice this summer, one hike to the top and the other we scored a ride to the new chalet which left us about 30min from the top. I'm interested in hitting up Ranger creek, just don't know anyone who's done it so I'm not sure what it consists of.

Sep 8, 2004
Haven't done ranger creek yet, heard good things though. The Palisades trail hooks up with it in one spot. The palisades is worth shuttling too, you start at an elevation equal to, or maybe a little higher than crystal mountain at the highest point. There is a little bit of climbing, but its not too bad. Its not quite made for big bikes though, no drops or anything, some pretty tight switchbacks, etc. Pretty fun though, especially if you tie in skookum flats at the end.

If you park at the bottom of FS-72 at the highway and ride up for ranger creek, instead of shuttling, its about a 10mile 3000-3500ft elevation climb. I'd recommend shuttling if you can.

-James.