Quantcast

"Impact!"

UniGeezer

not 2 tired.
Feb 15, 2010
SoCal
Hello all, I'm new here and I hope it's ok to post since this forum seemed like the closest fit...at least the "dirt jumping" part. :) I'm 54 years old and I do extreme mountain unicycling. Here's my latest video. I know these drops probably won't seem very big to the younger riders, but to an old fart like me, they seem almost life-threatening, lol! :weee:

Hope you enjoy:

Last edited:

UniGeezer

not 2 tired.
Feb 15, 2010
SoCal
pretty cool, i cant even ride the damn things.
Thanks. Well, I thought that too, but it's pretty easy to learn, and since you already ride an mtb, it wouldn't take long. And since there's no gears to help you climb, and you can't ever coast, (direct drive, no free wheel) it's a great way to cross train too! :D

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
nice nice. good stuff.
except for the parts of the edit where you tried to make some of those bikers look like whimps for not going for that drop/gap. :weee:

UniGeezer

not 2 tired.
Feb 15, 2010
SoCal
nice nice. good stuff.
except for the parts of the edit where you tried to make some of those bikers look like whimps for not going for that drop/gap. :weee:
Thanks. They just happened to be in the shots as I was setting up. But maybe the reason they didn't do any drops is, they had common sense? :p

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Pretty cool stuff. 54 years old and still jumping stuff is rad in my book - if it's on one wheel or 2. I bet if you have such good balance on that thing you could learn manuals in no time on a 2 wheeler.

UniGeezer

not 2 tired.
Feb 15, 2010
SoCal
Pretty cool stuff. 54 years old and still jumping stuff is rad in my book - if it's on one wheel or 2. I bet if you have such good balance on that thing you could learn manuals in no time on a 2 wheeler.
"Manuals"?

UniGeezer

not 2 tired.
Feb 15, 2010
SoCal
manuals = coasting on the backwheel without pedaling.
Ahh, ok. Sounds tricky. I know several younger riders who can coast on a uni, which is incredibly difficult. It's done by getting some speed then putting *both* feet on the crown of the frame, with your feet then having no contact with the pedals so the wheel can rotate freely.

And a similar but much easier method is called "gliding", where only one foot goes on the crown while the other rests on the front of the tire, acting as a brake and balance stabilizer.

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
Me+unicycle=abrupt introduction to the ground. we had em at the shop i used to work at and i cant count the number of times i owned myself playing with em.

UniGeezer

not 2 tired.
Feb 15, 2010
SoCal
Me+unicycle=abrupt introduction to the ground. we had em at the shop i used to work at and i cant count the number of times i owned myself playing with em.
Ouch. I've had my share of "UPD's" (UnPlanned Dismounts) but usually just jump right back up. I wear plenty of protective gear but the greater the risk, the greater potential for injury.

UniGeezer

not 2 tired.
Feb 15, 2010
SoCal
The video got a bit repetitive, but I'm repping you for your name. Good stuff.
Thanks, yeah, I usually don't use such similar shots in the same video, but I did so in this particular video mostly to get the onlooker responses and comments. :D