Quantcast

Imperial Units...WTF?

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
NEVER!!! When the US eventually takes over the world we'll just make everyone convert to our units of measurement.

AMERICA... F*** YEAH! :rofl:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I found this awesome poem thanks to Wikipedia.

Then down with every "metric" scheme
Taught by the foreign school,
We'll worship still our Father's God!
And keep our Father's "rule"!
A perfect inch, a perfect pint,
The Anglo's honest pound,
Shall hold their place upon the earth,
Till time's last trump shall sound!

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
NEVER!!! When the US eventually takes over the world we'll just make everyone convert to our units of measurement.

AMERICA... F*** YEAH! :rofl:
QFT. That is all.

Oh-- Almost forgot-- AMERICA... F*** YEAH! :rofl::rofl:

I get questioned every Christmas by my dad and oldest bro when my list contains tools of the metric variety. 'Why do you only want metric?' 'What, no standard sizes?' etc. No drivey american car-- my bikes have no standard sized anything-- in fact, I can think of very little that I actually need imp. sizes for...

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I find proficiency in both to be both easy and beneficial.
It's necessary when you draw plans for a living and I always like feet and inches, but I saw the light after the first set of plans that I drew with the metric system. It's much simpler when you're having to swap back and forth between various scales.

Plus it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for America to use different units of measurements than the rest of the world. Global market, economy, streamlined manufacturing and all that.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's necessary when you draw plans for a living and I always like feet and inches, but I saw the light after the first set of plans that I drew with the metric system. It's much simpler when you're having to swap back and forth between various scales.

Plus it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for America to use different units of measurements than the rest of the world. Global market, economy, streamlined manufacturing and all that.
Spoken like somebody who has never manufactured anything.
Yes, it can be easier to design in metric, but machining and manufacturing in general, it's tough to switch. It is much more expensive to cut a metric thread on standard machinery. There is a reason there are zero metric fasteners on American made airplanes, even with all the global sourcing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As an engineer I can say anything other than metric is a pain in the ass. It would be wise to use whatever units the Chinese use.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Yes, it can be easier to design in metric, but machining and manufacturing in general, it's tough to switch. It is much more expensive to cut a metric thread on standard machinery. There is a reason there are zero metric fasteners on American made airplanes, even with all the global sourcing.
This.....and what I was getting at in my first post.

Try buying metric stock in the US then get back to me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
guess the song.....

In a tomb of Enoch, in the queen's chambers,
She lives, guarding that holy cubit.
God-given accuracy, measuring untold prophecy.
How she loved that sacred inch...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Yup, read the entire thread. After all of that, I'm still laughing at the original post by ????? where he titles it "Imperial Units" and then proceeds to gripe that we're not on the "Metric System"... So I'm just pointing out that "Imperial Units"(ie, Imperial Gallon, Imperial Pint, etc) are not "Metric Units".
Are you serious right now?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
As an engineer I've pretty much switched to using Metric units at work when I design stuff. It is not only easier but the sizes make sense too. What diameter is a #6-32 screw? Who knows :confused: What diameter is a M3 screw? 3mm of course. Plus the selection of metric bearings and seals is much better than standard. I still use inch thicknesses for flat stock just because there isn't a good metric selection, but for any machined part this is not a concern.

I still find it odd how mixed and random the units are for bikes. All fasteners are metric, yet other dimensions are mixed. For example handlebars come in 31.8mm = 1-1/4" and 25.4mm = 1", yet steerer tubes are still measured in inches. Then seat posts come in all sorts of random metric sizes that don't convert to inches. Why 30.9 instead of 31?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Yup, read the entire thread. After all of that, I'm still laughing at the original post by ????? where he titles it "Imperial Units" and then proceeds to gripe that we're not on the "Metric System"... So I'm just pointing out that "Imperial Units"(ie, Imperial Gallon, Imperial Pint, etc) are not "Metric Units".
It took me a minute to realize what point you were even trying to make. I had been giving you too much credit all along.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
As an engineer I've pretty much switched to using Metric units at work when I design stuff. It is not only easier but the sizes make sense too. What diameter is a #6-32 screw? Who knows :confused: What diameter is a M3 screw? 3mm of course. Plus the selection of metric bearings and seals is much better than standard. I still use inch thicknesses for flat stock just because there isn't a good metric selection, but for any machined part this is not a concern.

I still find it odd how mixed and random the units are for bikes. All fasteners are metric, yet other dimensions are mixed. For example handlebars come in 31.8mm = 1-1/4" and 25.4mm = 1", yet steerer tubes are still measured in inches. Then seat posts come in all sorts of random metric sizes that don't convert to inches. Why 30.9 instead of 31?

I agree on all counts.....but when designing machined parts I still keep all locational dimensions (overall part size, feature sizes, locations between holes, etc.) in even fractional dimensions whenever possible (1/4", 1/2", 3/4", etc.). This makes machining a lot easier, as 95% of machining (especially manual) is still done in English units in the US....or at least all the machine shops that do work for us (including our in-house shop).

All hardware, bearings, precision shafts, transmission components, pneumatic components, aluminum extrusions, etc. etc I design with are always metric.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Is it more expensive for the rest of the world to cut a metric thread? No it is not.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Can you explain it to me?........because I still don't get what he's going for.
I think he assumed that I was celebrating Imperial units (including it's offspring), and that I was asking why America didn't use the metric system (which he assumed I thought was also called Imperial Units because it has a few different measurements than the US Customary Units).

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Maybe because I knew exactly what you meant he confused the fvck out of me. :rofl:

So basically he was pointing out some semantics thing?

Last edited: