Quantcast

Importing frames.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I've been looking at importing a frame over from America to France, and was wandering if anyone had any experience with doing this? I know most of this forum is American, but just wandering if anyone had sent a frame over and if so, how did it go?

It's alot cheaper over there, I can buy a new 07/08 frame for the same price as a used 07 frame over here, which is very tempting, but I don't want to get raped by customs, but even if I do it would still probably be cheaper.

If anyone has brought something from a store, which shop did you buy it from and how did it go? How long did it take to arrive?

If you've imported to anywhere in Europe and have some information that would be good too

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I dont know alot but classifying the item as a "gift" with a value of less than $100 seems to do a lot. Ive shipped parts to Poland doing this and have never run in to any customs problems.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I dont know alot but classifying the item as a "gift" with a value of less than $100 seems to do a lot. Ive shipped parts to Poland doing this and have never run in to any customs problems.
Wouldn't a huge box what says IRONHORSE BIKES, THIS WAY UP, and all that larky make it obvious it costs more then 100$?

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
You've got to find a shop willing to do that too, they risk large fine if the customs check it.
If you are doing that get it put into an older box or a blank box.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly you shouldn't try to fraud customs etc.

basically its quite easy.

when you import a frame from the us.

on arrival you'll have to pay your local sales tax + import duties for the parts.
for bicycle parts the duties are 4.3% of the price for a complete and assembled bike 15%
so whatever you import make sure its declared as bicycle parts ^^

HG(BRA)

Chimp
Jul 28, 2005
Wouldn't a huge box what says IRONHORSE BIKES, THIS WAY UP, and all that larky make it obvious it costs more then 100$?
right but...the most part of people don't know how expensive are our bikes...i have imported some parts and in 99% of it i never have any problem...even if you'll have to pay the taxes you will save money.
It will depend of how your country customs departament work. And of course it is a crime. :pirate2:

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
no shop will do this for you, they face 10K plus fines for lyiing on customs forms
I wasn't planning to do that, it seems more trouble then it's worth.

Is there anywhere in America what ships internationally and sells earlier years of frames? (06/07), I've been looking at Sundays/07 DHR but buying a 08 one new would still be out of my budget with importing

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It'll be MUCH better to just fly to the US, buy the bike in person, ride it a bit, make sure everything is good and works correctly, then bring it back to France on the plane with you.

Of course, you'll need to box it up. It's completely OK to take your bike on an airplane, and even if they charge you the $75-85 fee for a bike, it's a steal because you not only get a bike with a valid warranty, but you get a kickass trip as well.

Many international flights don't even charge for bikes. Spend the 700 euros on the plane ticket, plan on spending $300-4000 American in the states to drive to a shop, camp out by some trails, eat, ride, and maybe do a little touristing.

I dunno how many times my friends and I have ordered bikes (even directly from a manufacturer) only to find out that the wrong parts are in the box, and it's always a huge mess dealing with sending things back/waiting for things to show up. Especially if you're in Europe.

Take the trip, you won't regret it.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
It'll be MUCH better to just fly to the US, buy the bike in person, ride it a bit, make sure everything is good and works correctly, then bring it back to France on the plane with you.

Of course, you'll need to box it up. It's completely OK to take your bike on an airplane, and even if they charge you the $75-85 fee for a bike, it's a steal because you not only get a bike with a valid warranty, but you get a kickass trip as well.

Many international flights don't even charge for bikes. Spend the 700 euros on the plane ticket, plan on spending $300-4000 American in the states to drive to a shop, camp out by some trails, eat, ride, and maybe do a little touristing.

I dunno how many times my friends and I have ordered bikes (even directly from a manufacturer) only to find out that the wrong parts are in the box, and it's always a huge mess dealing with sending things back/waiting for things to show up. Especially if you're in Europe.

The reason I'm planning on importing is because it's cheaper, I don't have 700 euros to spend on a plane ticket for a leasurly drive around the states to buy a bike frame, to get back on a plane to come back, I'm only buying a frame too so I wouldn't be able to ride it around.

Although I definitely would do it if I had the money.

paranoid56

Monkey
May 23, 2004
San Diego, CA
and shipping is a lot. i think last time i did it, it was 150 or so (god, maybe more) to ship a frame. its been a wile since i have shipped a frame over seas, i get lots of items from china via ems too :D
any friends that live in the states that can help you out?

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
I know go-ride.com ships internationally and they carry sundays. Thats about all I know about the process though.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ronan you just need sb in states that will do a little cover for you. Gift + low value is good but looking used may help a lot. Just ditch the stock box or add some weird stickers on it so it won't look brand new.
But I don't know how the customs in France really works. I live in a country where laws are treated just like a usefull set of pointers so it's hard to tell how it works in a nomral place. But I also think that you don't have such crazy high taxes as we do so why not go legal?

ridiculous you selled to ppl in Poland? Cuz in that case the polish would never be after you. In the worst scenario the guy that bought the frame from you would have to pay extra tax (somewhere around 30 + some special fee for nothing.)

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Ronan you just need sb in states that will do a little cover for you. Gift + low value is good but looking used may help a lot. Just ditch the stock box or add some weird stickers on it so it won't look brand new.
But I don't know how the customs in France really works. I live in a country where laws are treated just like a usefull set of pointers so it's hard to tell how it works in a nomral place. But I also think that you don't have such crazy high taxes as we do so why not go legal?

ridiculous you selled to ppl in Poland? Cuz in that case the polish would never be after you. In the worst scenario the guy that bought the frame from you would have to pay extra tax (somewhere around 30 + some special fee for nothing.)
After doing my research I have to pay 20% sales tax, and a varying amount depending on what it is, which does lower my options alot, but for 1500 usd/1100 euros, more frames open up to me.

I don't mind buying used at all, seen as I think new frames are such a rip off and thats why I'm looking over seas :twitch: , but not been able to see the frame before I buy it worrys me a lot

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Ronan I didn't advice you to boy used. I just said - Make it look used. Just buy new and make somebody in US (if you know anyone).

Poindexter

Chimp
Dec 25, 2007

Yes I have done this, my sister lives in Paris and I come over all the time. Here's a nice trick buy the bike ride it then break it down all the way. Get a nice size duffel bag and stuff the sob will all your parts and frame and everything, make sure you use some type of packing material not peanuts but you know like dirty clothes...etc. You might have to pay a price for oversized and overweight luggage but at most its 150$. Good luck.