Quantcast

Impossible request...Digital Cameras

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Me and my gf are hunting for a digicam around 200$ that can take decent action shots (think bikes)...I've got a wee bit of 35mm experience, but my digicam experience is limited. Right now we're considering the Canon A520 or (slighty out of our price range) A610...any suggestions? Looking for at least 3megapixel resolution, but not really concerned about size.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Nikon Coolpix 995

I owned one of these for about 2 years before I upgraded to my D70. It's a great camera and you can pick them up really cheap on ebay. The specs might not seem great compared to the latest and greatest but it takes really nice pictures, especially if you are just going to be posting them on the web or printing out 8x10 or smaller. It's got the option to add lenses and use manual settings if you decide to get more into it down the road.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I actually think my dad had one of those Nikons when I was younger and it was a pretty sweet camera...I think it cost his company a lot of money...I'll keep that one in mind.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
They were pretty expensive when they first came out. There's been several models of that body style, the 995 was the latest and last one they made that I know of. The swiveling lens is really handy.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Another vote for a 995. At one time or another I had a 950, 990, or 995.

You can get very good results from these small cameras.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Nice work. I won't buy from people who have less than 100 feedback anymore but it seems like you got a pretty good deal. I think you'll be happy with it...no matter what the Cannon fan boys say.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It is a business...we'll see. Seems like they've got their **** together. Should be getting it around Wed-Thurs...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
loco said:
No way would I pay $19.95 for shipping.
Since you responded to my own thread, I decided to click that ever annoying "view post" button over "This user is on your Ignore List."

UPS quote for shipping in an adequate box=$11.97.

A UPS Store/Fedex would probably charge about $10 to pack (box, labor, planking, bubble, peanuts).

Welcome to the world? Go troll somewhere else and make worthless school furniture.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
blue said:
I saw it, but the reviews I've read say it sucks for action shots. I have a friend with a 610, and while its not bad, they're not too good either.

If this Coolpix is anything like the crappier Coolpix my father had years ago I will be quite pleased...that was a fast ass camera.
the trick is to pre-focus or set a manual focus length for action shots. you have both of those options with the 995, probably with other cameras too but I only know about the 995. the delay with most cameras between when you press the button to take a pic and when it actually takes a pic is because it's trying to auto-focus for you.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
blue said:
I saw it, but the reviews I've read say it sucks for action shots.
Meh. My sister chases around her 3 year old with the A520 with good results.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
chicodude said:
Go on....
don't think about it. Lagtastic processor. Great for portraits, not so much for anything that moves. I'd steer clear of anything Canon under a Rebel for action shots ... though Skookum's G5 seems to do well. Nikon is where it's at for low end options. Go do the test yourself. Take a buddy to a camara shop and have him run around while you try and get shots of him with whatever they let you test.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I've got the Cannon A510, and it works alright. I've posted a bunch of riding shots with it. It was about $200 brand new from the local camera shop, and it has 3.2 megapixels. It's decent, but kinda big, eats batteries, and doesn't do sequences/motor drive stuff. It does do movies, but you can't zoom or angle the camera vertically. Overall, it's a good little camera, but not the best camera ever.

I hear you can put new lenses on it, does this mean a fisheye lens is a possibility?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
BuddhaRoadkill said:
don't think about it. Lagtastic processor. Great for portraits, not so much for anything that moves. I'd steer clear of anything Canon under a Rebel for action shots ... though Skookum's G5 seems to do well. Nikon is where it's at for low end options. Go do the test yourself. Take a buddy to a camara shop and have him run around while you try and get shots of him with whatever they let you test.

My G5 Was the greatest thing ever until it was stolen! Small enough that it was portable, big enough to not feel cheap. Full manual control, swiveling screen, good for action shots. It ruled. I wish I still had that thing! I still have the box for it, it makes me sad looking at the box. I'm so pissed someone stole it.

I did replace it with at 10D though......... :D

I've been thinking about picking up a G6 just to carry around with me an' stuff

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BuddhaRoadkill said:

The G series, the S1 Pro series etc are all fine for this.

No PS is really any good for action sports. Sort of like riding a road bike to race DH.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
No PS is really any good for action sports. Sort of like riding a road bike to race DH.
I disagree.

If you understand the limitations of the tool and can work around them a photographer can get some good action shots.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Transcend said:
The G series, the S1 Pro series etc are all fine for this.

Red Bull Road Rage what?

I've got a Nikon 5700 for sale in the B&S forum

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
justsomeguy said:
I disagree.

If you understand the limitations of the tool and can work around them a photographer can get some good action shots.

Sure, but you can get down the mountain on a road bike too. Or pound in a nail with a crescent wrench. It just isn't the right tool for the job.

Point and shoot or 1d Mk2...I'll stick to my Mk2.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Transcend said:
Sure, but you can get down the mountain on a road bike too. Or pound in a nail with a crescent wrench. It just isn't the right tool for the job.

Totaly agree or at the lower price range a used rebel d300 would blow any p&s out of the water, but carrying a mk2 with a 24-70 on a ride is a bit cumbersome.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
Of course a DSLR is going to be the best tool but claiming that "No PS is really any good for action sports" is inaccurate since it's demonstrable that people can create good action sports photos with PS cameras.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
bikenweed said:
I hear you can put new lenses on it, does this mean a fisheye lens is a possibility?
I'm not sure about the 510, but I know with the 610 you can. What I really like about this Nikon is the rechargeable lith-ion batteries...tasty. That was another downside to the Canons...battery eaters. I'm vewwy excited to get some pics when the camera comes...Perhaps it will lead to more? I've always liked shooting with 35mm, but the pain in the ass transfer to computer for editing made me stop a couple years ago.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
That was another downside to the Canons...battery eaters.
Not sure where you get your information, but you are dead wrong.

I get about 450 shots from the small battery in an s400, 600 or so in my 10d from a bp511 and about 1200 in my 1dmk2 with it's battery.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
Sorry, should've been more specific...talking about the two Canons I was eyeing, the 510 and 610.
S series or A series?

The A series uses double As, so the speed it goes through the batteries is going to depend on what type of battery you use in it - but generally AAs suck in things like cameras, no matter the brand.

The S series will give you tons of shots from their battery packs. Figure 400+.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
*bumplump*

So I got the camera about a week ago, and last night I took it out on the town for some night shots, but I'm having a few issues...example:

Whats with all the little multicolored pixels? Is my ISO too high? It seems to only be an issue on long exposures at night where I've opened the shutter up for between 8-30 seconds.

Washing out...I have yet to figure out how to get my f-stop up above 7.5 (occasionally on semi-auto mode it ratchets it up to 12, so I know it's doable).

Long night exposures are fun, as long as I can fix the damned washout problem, but the multicolored pixels really annoy me.

Another fun example of the pixel issue...

Thoughts, previous 995 owners?

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Many digital cameras suffer from noise during long exposures at night. That's what you're seeing.

I would suggest checking your camera settings and not using spot metering for those shots (use matrix instead) since that can lead to a washed out image (if you meter on a dark alleyway in the midst of a relatively brightly lit street for example).