Quantcast

Impossible request...Digital Cameras

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Make sure your ISO is set as low as possible. It looks like it's either set too high or that you are keeping the shutter open for much longer than you actually need to for these shots.

From my experience the 995 wasn't the best camera for night time long exposure shots, although it did the job:

I can't remember exactly but that pic was at least 15 seconds, possibly more. I think you just have some settings that need to be fixed.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Nikon Coolpix 995

Canon A610

ISO on the Nikon was 100, 50 for the Canon, shutter speed at 15 seconds on the Canon, 8 on the Nikon. What the hell is with the color? Is there an odd color option that I've accidentally turned on? There is a ton of noise during night exposures...this is depressing... :(

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
That is quite a bit of noise. As far as the color goes were both cameras set to Auto for white balance?

Have you tried doing a reset of all the settings and starting from scratch? I'm not familiar enough with the camera to look at the image and tell you what you have wrong but you may want to try the forums over on dpreview.com. Someone there should be able to help you out.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
blue said:
What the hell is with the color? Is there an odd color option that I've accidentally turned on? There is a ton of noise during night exposures...this is depressing... :(
To reiterate:

"Many digital cameras suffer from noise during long exposures at night."

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
justsomeguy said:
To reiterate:

"Many digital cameras suffer from noise during long exposures at night."
Compared the the results I got from my 995 that is not normal. I had used mine to take many long (+20 seconds) exposure shots and never saw noise that bad.

I did however notice that the 995 isn't the greatest at Auto setting the whitebalance for long night shots. Some of the manual settins for WB would work fine if you get set it for the right condition and lights you were working with.

Looks like a lot of hot pixels showing on the nikon... i think most CCDs have some hot pixels and they tend to show more in longer exposures. That seems like a lot though. I just had to send my D50 in to resolve a couple hot pixels but they were showing in every shot.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The images are yellow, the city lights generally have a Tungstenish look so that's normal. You need to set a proper WB. You will always get noise on Digi cameras with long exposures, especially at higher ISOs.

That noise doesn't look normal though, it looks like the noise I used to get on my old 10d at 1600 iso in bad light.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
justsomeguy said:
I disagree.

If you understand the limitations of the tool and can work around them a photographer can get some good action shots.

I got this bike for the cover of ellsworths 2004 catalogue with my g2 :)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
nice action shot. You were able to capture it in such a way that it appears there's no action at all. :)

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
Duh - he froze the action with a monumentally high shutter speed. 1/1 billionth of a second.

...and it still wasn't fast enough to eliminate the funny motion blur over the license plate.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
justsomeguy said:
...and it still wasn't fast enough to eliminate the funny motion blur over the license plate.
Someone on the internet might see that car and drive across the country to steal it. You can never be too careful.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
dfinn said:
Someone on the internet might see that car and drive across the country to steal it. You can never be too careful.
Exactly the reason why I blur my plates when driving anywhere.

Strangers might see them.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Transcend said:
or worse yet - police. Duct tape and tissue paper gets you the same effect in real life, just so you know.
It works - I've never gotten a ticket

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
justsomeguy said:
Exactly the reason why I blur my plates when driving anywhere.

Strangers might see them.
SON OF A BITCH

I thought criminals were just on the internet.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
blue said:
Should I contact Nikon about the hot pixels?
I think you're better off just eliminating them in post. It's fast and easy.

Your camera is not covered by warranty and it would probably be more than you spent to get a new ccd installed, if they would even do it. Nikon service can also be REALLY slow at times.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
On canon's they can actually map out the hot pixels in the firmware if you send it in to be serviced. It is pretty pointless however as the servicing cost would be more then buying another camera with a new generation of sensor.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
No real pix to show (Tripped a few alarms breaking into a nuclear weapons facility), but I think switching the WB to incandescent helped A LOT.

justsomeguy said:
I think you're better off just eliminating them in post. It's fast and easy.

Your camera is not covered by warranty and it would probably be more than you spent to get a new ccd installed, if they would even do it. Nikon service can also be REALLY slow at times.
I agree... if mine hadnt been under warranty I would have just dealt with the hot pixels in PS.