Quantcast

Impressions on switching to freecoaster?

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I'm debating getting a freecoaster for my fit, but I can't find anyone in my area with one so I would have to buy it without ever having tried one. Anyone have anything negative to say about switching over besides the added maintanence? I hear there is a bit of slop even if it is adjusted properly, but any first hand accounts would be appreciated. Thanks..

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I tried the one on my buddy's bike and didn't care for the slack and his has no more adjustment. It's definitely an acquired taste and there doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground - either you love it or you don't care much for it.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
It's really smooth and quiet rolling. I dig it. It takes a while to get used to the lax engagement. Run the engagement kind of tight until you get used to it so you don't bust your knee on the stem a bunch of times.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I've ridden a bike one time that had the Geisha. I didn't like the spongy feel when you pedal. It was a cool feeling not having to backpedal though. I just couldn't live without the sound of a cassette though.

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
If you are going to get a freecoaster buy a Nankai. Once you get it dialed in they are great but do require regular maintenance. I prefer my freecoaster to most cassette or freewheel hubs I have tried.

As far as engagement goes I have never had a problem. The hub just needs to be properly set up, adjusted and maintained. To be honest I get better engagement out of my Nankai that I do from a regular freewheel.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I'm really looking forward to that new oddy/gsport freecoaster. I've been chainless and brakeless for the past week due to a recent build and me not having a few of the right parts, and I have to admit, fakie tricks are fun.

Keep in mind, though. If you use pedal pressure for any of your tricks (rotating that last bit of a hop 3, fufanus, or anything like that) you wont be able to pull that on the coaster. And, if you try hard enough to be able to, you'll probably end up blowing your bearings. It's a tough life, from what I hear.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i dont own one but have ridden it and although its really nice and easy to do **** if u get out of fakie slow-count on stoppin because if u try to pedal b4 u fall over-ur knee is going into the stem

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i had one for the summer, loved it for park riding, hated it for street riding. ended up going back to my ringle 4stroke and could not be happier

still miss being able to roll backwards on big ledges super fast forever tho.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
You can coast going backwards without having to pedal. That's the advantage.

I'm still trying to figure out how to roll fakie out of a trick.
oh...makes sence, not sure I can figure out why that is though...

I suppose its because usually when I tried to ride any spin out backwards, I fail miserably...
hopefully I'll learn soon...:disgust:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
seems like a freecoaster could be pretty fun, but, like most have said, it doesn't seem like the engagement could too good. good concept, i'd like to see how it progresses. i'm still trying to learn to roll out fakie also, not much success so far.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
mine is on the way and i should have my wheelset done by christmas so ill let you know if you haven't gotten one by then. It suits the style of riding i want to get into so i thought i would give it a try. im going to be running 24's on my NS suburban and it should kill the park and street

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
ps spam i have a 24in rhino xl on a geisha for 110 spacing for sale if anyone is interested. rebuilt it after every ride so its in perfect shape

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i love messing around on the 20 with my reverse hub. the slack slop going from fakie to foward takes some getting used to. i think ill switch to the g-sport coaster when its out. i hate the long ass axle on the khe and federal coasters. i would cut them but the the allen key slot doesn't go in deep enough. this is something they will fix in the future though.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I think he might be talking about servicing freecoaster and not the whole wheel.
thats right. come on people use some common sense here. who in their f'n mind would rebuild an entire wheel after every ride? hell let alone every few races?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i have a mtb geisha @ full slack.
there is a lot of fun to be had with one.

fufs, tire taps and all have to be done
with locked brakes, not a bad thing.

i have never serviced mine. it has about 100
hrs on it with 14mm stubs and a rear peg i febal
a lot on. no ice picks though. i am afraid it would
kill the axle.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Thanks for that Ian Schwartz clip. I hadn't seen it and I am pumped that it is set to that Paperboy song. That song takes me back to teenage cruisin'.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
Ive had a geisha for almost a year. I have it set for minimum slack and with the axle studs. only problem I have had is it has slipped in the dropouts once or twice while doing double peg grinds on rough concrete ledges. Ice picks have not been a problem.