Quantcast

Improving Braking

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I have a bmx bike that has lousy brakes. I was wondering if you guys would tell me tips for improving braking by rim/pad prep.

I have 990 style brake and a black rim and swapping those out isn't really an option because of cash.

So any quick and easy ways to improve braking?

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
many techniques used for trials aren't gonna be something you want to do because they sacrifice modulation to the point it's almost non-existant. Set it up so the pads hit the rim completely flat, and sand the pad as well as the rim. You can also grind the rim surface it still doesn't do the trick. Also, check into getting better pads.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
make sure your cables are fully lubed. replace them if they are old with teflon lined cables.

buy new springs for your brakes if they are old.

clean your brake pads or buy new ones if they are old.

sanding will remove any old surface on the pads but if they are really old they may be really hard.

softer pads are usually nicer.

chrome rims work better too.

make sure the pads hit the rim fully. no angles or anything.

everything (cables, lever, brakes) shoud have no friction BUT the pads should have 100% friction.

990's are real simple, but you do need to make sure everything is clean and setup as mentioned above.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
something soft.

dia-compe or kool stop(i think they cost more but are worth it)

I'm not real sure of brands but if they are really cheap, don't get them.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Go with the Kool Stop phat pads if you got tall rims in Salmon color...that's their soft compound and I can lock up my brakes easy. I got black rims too.