Quantcast

improving wifi in my home office

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 153134

Above is a MBP on 802.11ac, 5 GHz network, no VPN connection. Oddly the 26 ms was repeatable, go figure.

View attachment 153133

This one is the same setup, with VPN connection. Ping got better, DL a little worse, upload still just fine.

Will grab wired equivalents later, post-workout and -Mandalorian.
Finally grabbed the wired equivalents as promised. VPN does slow things down but I'll live. (I only use the VPN when at home when I need journal-access-via-university-IP.)

No VPN.

w/VPN

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
And what service provider do you use?
Centurylink, which inherited the Qwest fiber optic network, apparently. At our earlier rental house we had Centurylink DSL, and that sucked balls. Their fiber game is completely different.

More relevant to you is my network setup:

Optical network terminal -> ASUS RT-AC68U as a wireless router -> 32 port switch iirc -> cable runs to all over the house, including another RT-AC68U in access point mode and an Apple Airport Extreme, also in access point mode. I might have pulled that access point RT--AC68U--definitely pulled one after it was acting up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thankfully the people who renovated our house put structured cabling to most rooms in the house so I use that where possible e.g. work computer desk, computer under the TV, downstairs in the pain cave where wifi isn't as strong.

Xfinity cable > xfinity wifi/cable box which then has 4 cabled runs to various parts of the house.

Just tested speedtest and I'm getting 350Mbps down and 12Mbps up. Who is your provider in town?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
FWIW;

I personally haven't noticed any difference but both of the women-folk report marked improvement during the day on their various devices and with all the zoom learning/online class stuff. Anecdotal, but there you go.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FWIW;

I personally haven't noticed any difference but both of the women-folk report marked improvement during the day on their various devices and with all the zoom learning/online class stuff. Anecdotal, but there you go.
swap back to the old one and see if it's all placebo

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Figure this one out: I get 7 mpbs download if I'm lucky. Doing a W 10 feature update this morning, it kicked up to 100 mbps for about a minute. This over shitty ISDN, unless there's magic I don't know...
Bad algorithm + cached data at some point in the pipeline.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Algorithm at what level, cached data where?
Very likely that the update has some de-duplication or pre-requisites built into the download process, and you already had a bunch of the files you needed, so it was checking your local files and marking them as "downloaded."

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Would my apple TV be better if I ran a cat5 from the router to it than using WiFi that is ten feet away but through the floor?