Quantcast

in case you thought republicans were all racists

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
this certainly won't help dissuade you:

McDonnell's Confederate History Month proclamation irks civil rights leaders
RICHMOND -- Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, reviving a controversy that had been dormant for eight years, has declared that April will be Confederate History Month in Virginia, a move that angered civil rights leaders Tuesday but that political observers said would strengthen his position with his conservative base.

The two previous Democratic governors had refused to issue the mostly symbolic proclamation honoring the soldiers who fought for the South in the Civil War. McDonnell (R) revived a practice started by Republican governor George Allen in 1997. McDonnell left out anti-slavery language that Allen's successor, James S. Gilmore III (R), had included in his proclamation.

McDonnell said Tuesday that the move was designed to promote tourism in the state, which next year will mark the 150th anniversary of the start of the war. McDonnell said he did not include a reference to slavery because "there were any number of aspects to that conflict between the states. Obviously, it involved slavery. It involved other issues. But I focused on the ones I thought were most significant for Virginia."

McDonnell said Tuesday that people's thinking about civil rights and the role of the Confederacy in Virginia history have advanced to the point where "people can talk about and discuss and . . . begin to understand the history a little better."
can i get a "cracka please"?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't think it will work for him. The majority of people living in Virginia these days, republican or democrat, are from New York.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The majority of people living in Virginia these days, republican or democrat, are from New York.
Is that where they're sending Witness Protection Program participants these days??

"Youse must be nuts. I been livvin' heer in Stanardsville runnin' dis Italian restaurant my whole friggin' life. Hand a' gawd."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
wut?

Black conservative tea party backers take heat
Among the 37 black Republicans running for U.S. House and Senate seats in November is Charles Lollar of Maryland's 5th District.

A tea party supporter running against House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., Lollar says he's finding support in unexpected places.

The 38-year-old U.S. Marine Corps reservist recently walked into a bar in southern Maryland decorated with a Confederate flag. It gave his wife Rosha pause.

"I said, 'You know what, honey? Many, many of our Southern citizens came together under that flag for the purpose of keeping their family and their state together,'" Lollar recalled. "The flag is not what you're to fear. It's the stupidity behind the flag that is a problem. I don't think we'll find that in here. Let's go ahead in."

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD

People of WalMart.com said:
OH, COME ON! Listen, I know that not every stereotype is true, but please don’t specifically try to validate them. You don’t see Asian people walking around with solved math problems on their clothes!

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
SPCA: Black man slashed dog that disliked minorities
[owner/handler] Tocco said he never trained Jenna [the dog] to behave this way. He said he didn't think it was fair to call his dog prejudiced.

"I never said the dog was prejudiced," Tocco said. "I said it doesn't like minorities. I think it's unfair to the dog that you're publicizing that she's prejudiced."
of course, it was a *german* shepherd he attacked. who's the racist now?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
The comments section of this story are gold, Jerry, gold...

BeagleEatsRabbit wrote:

My dog hates the mailman. He didn't until I explained that the mailman is a federal employee. My dog considers himself a secular libertarian

4/8/2010 8:56:24 AM

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
"He said he was going to revise the statement that he made," Wilder says. "And I said that might not be enough. It might be necessary to revise the language of the proclamation."

The proclamation now includes the following language:

WHEREAS, it is important for all Virginians to understand that the institution of slavery led to this war and was an evil and inhumane practice that deprived people of their God-given inalienable rights and all Virginians are thankful for its permanent eradication from our borders, and the study of this time period should reflect upon and learn from this painful part of our history ...

Wilder says the flap has not changed his view of McDonnell's character.
"Bob McDonnell is a decent man," he says. "I thought he was; I still think he is."
I think he said the sheriff is near...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
sister of a fb friend; very liberal, and i'm guessing not racist. will probably have some buyers remorse if my calculations are in order.