Quantcast

in extreme mud conditions...

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
how can I "try" to keep the mud from collecting on the tires???

there is a race next week in indonesia and that place... if it rains... is an absolute nightmare. any tips???

track is pretty straight forward with bermed corners and some minor roots and rocks. nothing crazy..

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Spray lube. Sounds ridiculous I know, probably is. Only real answer is to keep them rolling fast :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I believe I've heard of people spraying oil (cooking spray) on their tires to keep mud from packing...that will probably ruin your root and rock traction, and it's likely to come off within 100yds, but if it really is a "bog" as you say it is, it might help.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Generally for deep deep mud you want the thinnest tire manageable...kind of like snow tires on a car. Narrower cuts through the slop to get to the tractable stuff...so yeah, for deep mud a good 2.1-2.2 tire would probably be favorable over a 2.5, unless you're talking maxxis.

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Riding a computer desk.
Spray lube. Sounds ridiculous I know, probably is. Only real answer is to keep them rolling fast :)
I've heard cooking spray works as well, just keep it away from your stoppers. Narrower tires have always performed the best for me in shoopy conditions, usually a 2.2 WetScream in the rear (super skinny but 2 ply, looks like an XC tire) and a Maxxis 2.5 WetScream or Swampthing in the front. I've found that if it isn't super rocky you can get away with a 2.35 single ply Swampthing in the front but you may want to use a DH tube and you will end up running higher pressure which isn't ideal in some instances.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
would skinny 2.2 tires vs 2.5 work???

If you talk about wetscreams than the size differance is very small. The knobs are big bigger on the 2.5'' so they may shed mud a bit worse but I've ridden in heavy mud on both and I've noticed no differance.

Also what compound? 40 or 42? Imo 40a sheds mud much worse.