Quantcast

In honor of the ICE raids, pray for our Nazi, manimal

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Long Beach is kinda freaking out a little bit

Seriously, the wife and I loved it up there. It was a cute area with a lot to offer. It seemed pretty conservative when we were there, but now they just aren't sure.

Under President Donald Trump, ICE “continues to prioritize its enforcement resources to focus on aliens who pose a threat to national security, public safety and border security,” according to an email from a spokeswoman.

But Trump, in an executive order his first week in office, broadened the grounds that deem someone threatening: Convictions aren’t necessary, all crimes count no matter how serious, and so does an unheeded deportation order reaching back decades.

Trump also freed ICE to arrest anyone else it deems fit. “The agency does NOT exempt classes or categories of removable aliens from potential enforcement,” the spokeswoman wrote.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Long Beach is kinda freaking out a little bit

Seriously, the wife and I loved it up there. It was a cute area with a lot to offer. It seemed pretty conservative when we were there, but now they just aren't sure.
Sooooo.....

Drug dealer, rapist, illegal immigrants don't just hang out on the corner telling everyone that they are drug dealer, rapist, illegal immigrants? It's easier to arrest average Jose illegal immigrants to look like you're doing something?

I am "le surprised" as the french say

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
:stupid:

Morons. Fucking morons. What the fuck did they think they were voting for?
Why they thought they were voting to get rid of al Quaeda. Not hard-working local migrants. "Economic migrants are not a problem in his mind — he’s seen how hard they work — but he wondered, “who’s coming with them?” Terrorists, he feared."

Turns out that fear-mongering works to advance your agenda.

Fucking morons.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Why they thought they were voting to get rid of al Quaeda. Not hard-working local migrants. "Economic migrants are not a problem in his mind — he’s seen how hard they work — but he wondered, “who’s coming with them?” Terrorists, he feared."

Turns out that fear-mongering works to advance your agenda.

Fucking morons.
My favorite quote was this one:
“It is not the case that immigrants are the only ones applying,” said shellfish farmer Marilyn Sheldon. “It is the case that immigrants are the only ones willing to stick it out.”
She seems to be implying that migrants are doing jobs that white people don't want to do. Huh.......

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
On the other hand, my asshole brother is making a fortune off of tRumps (mis)administrations idiocy. He owns a check cashing business that caters to migrant workers, cashing their checks, taking a nickel or so per every dollar and then selling them wire transfers to send the money back home. He says they are all terrified...cashing checks NOW and sending the money home yesterday. It is not uncommon for his place to do $1M in checks per month. I cant decide if he is helping or preying on them...maybe a little of both.

On the other hand, my asshole brother is making a fortune off of tRumps (mis)administrations idiocy. He owns a check cashing business that caters to migrant workers, cashing their checks, taking a nickel or so per every dollar and then selling them wire transfers to send the money back home. He says they are all terrified...cashing checks NOW and sending the money home yesterday. It is not uncommon for his place to do $1M in checks per month. I cant decide if he is helping or preying on them...maybe a little of both.
Preying.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Seems to me that our ancestors faced an equally arduous journey to come to this country. And that anyone with the tenacity to risk their life to cross a desert just to work and earn a living is exactly the kind of people we need. These are people who are largely illiterate in their own language and completing the necessary paperwork to legally immigrate is nearly impossible. So they walk here.

Put yourself in their shoes. If you had no other opportunities in your homeland would you have what it takes to just literally walk away. Risk prison, death, and almost certain discrimination just to be able to work and eat ? That's some hardcore shit if you think about it. We've had it easy here for so long we don't have a clue how to relate to what someone from an impoverished country has to deal with.

Once here and working they are contributing members of society and the economy legal or not. We should make it easier to become US citizens, not deport them.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Seems to me that our ancestors faced an equally arduous journey to come to this country. And that anyone with the tenacity to risk their life to cross a desert just to work and earn a living is exactly the kind of people we need. These are people who are largely illiterate in their own language and competing the necessary paperwork to legally immigrate is nearly impossible. So they walk here.

Put yourself in their shoes. If you had no other opportunities in your homeland would you have what it takes to just literally walk away. Risk prison, death, and almost certain discrimination just to be able to work and eat ? That's some hardcore shit if you think about it. We've had it easy here for so long we don't have a clue how to relate to what someone from an impoverished country has to deal with.

Once here and working they are contributing members of society and the economy legal or not. We should make it easier to become US citizens, not deport them.
But they make the Cheeto's white trailer trash racist base look so lazy by comparison and he can't have that....

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
stealing jerbs
I mean.... he kinda is. You don't think there are citizens or people with visas who want to teach chemistry? This isn't one of those back breaking labor for pennies type situations. He probably had decent pay, benefits, stuff people want.

I'm completely for a path to citizenship and if you were brought here as a kid it's fucked up to deport you to a country you've never really lived in. But cases like this I have a hard time being super sympathetic for. He's obviously smart, he knew he didn't have his visa to live and work here.

I mean.... he kinda is. You don't think there are citizens or people with visas who want to teach chemistry? This isn't one of those back breaking labor for pennies type situations. He probably had decent pay, benefits, stuff people want.

I'm completely for a path to citizenship and if you were brought here as a kid it's fucked up to deport you to a country you've never really lived in. But cases like this I have a hard time being super sympathetic for. He's obviously smart, he knew he didn't have his visa to live and work here.
People should be able to live where they want to live. Visas and citizenship are bullshit.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
People should be able to live where they want to live. Visas and citizenship are bullshit.
Theoretically that sounds great! But in practice.... not so much. Like communes where everyone shares everything and personal property doesn't exist, cool idea, pretty much impossible to implement successfully.

I live in California where lots of people want to live. There's a serious housing shortage and more people are moving here every year. Many of our major cities are having crisis level issues with homelessness, not just in CA but nation wide. There's not enough infrastructure or money to repair the infrastructure (roads suck, we don't have enough water storage to last through the dry years any more). Just letting anyone in the world who wants to live here move here sounds like a pretty silly idea.

Towing the line of "deporting anyone, ever is bad" breaks down pretty quickly if you look at it logically and realistically.

Theoretically that sounds great! But in practice.... not so much. Like communes where everyone shares everything and personal property doesn't exist, cool idea, pretty much impossible to implement successfully.

I live in California where lots of people want to live. There's a serious housing shortage and more people are moving here every year. Many of our major cities are having crisis level issues with homelessness, not just in CA but nation wide. There's not enough infrastructure or money to repair the infrastructure (roads suck, we don't have enough water storage to last through the dry years any more). Just letting anyone in the world who wants to live here move here sounds like a pretty silly idea.

Towing the line of "deporting anyone, ever is bad" breaks down pretty quickly if you look at it logically and realistically.
Would you restrict the movement of people from state to state?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
those problems fix themselves with open borders.

california would become a manhattan or a hong kong... demand raises prices, and only those wealthy enough to affford it will stay. those who cant, will move somewhere else.

those homeless you complain about, would probably like the idea of moving to a welfare state, which in turn will probably adjust its policy if it attracts too many homeless and so on... migration works both ways..

california would become a manhattan or a hong kong... demand raises prices, and only those wealthy enough to affford it will stay. those who cant, will move somewhere else.

those homeless you complain about, would probably like the idea of moving to a welfare state, which in turn will probably adjust its policy if it attracts too many homeless and so on... migration works both ways..
And, portions of California, and much of the west (LA, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix...) are going to be out of water very soon...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Would you restrict the movement of people from state to state?
Just letting anyone in the world who wants to live here move here sounds like a pretty silly idea.
See the bold

I'm not anti-immigration. I'm not anti-immigrant. And I never complained about homeless people. But there is a problem when people are living on the streets and dying of the cold.

I think the rules that are in place currently separating countries are working out pretty well. There are obvious examples of rules that are malicious or stupid but just saying that we should have no immigration law would clearly lead to some adverse consequences.

What you are recommending sounds like some sort of Ann Rand capitalist anarchy.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Raise your hand if know any out of work chemistry professors. I can wait...
Red Herring.jpg

I know people with science degrees who have had trouble finding teaching positions. I know people with science degrees who are "underemployed" and would probably like more job opportunities in their field. To assume there was no one out there qualified and desiring the position this guy had would be a pretty big assumption.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
View attachment 127834

I know people with science degrees who have had trouble finding teaching positions. I know people with science degrees who are "underemployed" and would probably like more job opportunities in their field. To assume there was no one out there qualified and desiring the position this guy had would be a pretty big assumption.
You said he was taking away jobs from chemistry teachers, or at least that it was possible. I simply asked if anyone knew an unemployed chemistry prof...

BTW, love the meme...stealing...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
No she grew up under apartheid, and as a result lives in NZ as she likes freedom.
Now then Dave, you know you guys dont have true phreaduhmb™ down there...we havent spent a shit ton of murikkkan™ $$s to free you from the tyranny of your own twisted souls and whoever is oppressing you. Until we do, you simply have the illusion of phreaduhmb™.
Its so cute that you think you are phrea.

The thing with the Japs a few years back doesnt count, they are our friends now.