In honor of the ICE raids, pray for our Nazi, manimal

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Meh, I've been stripped searched in Canada, had my devices searched in Japan and been held at AK point in Poland for sleeping on a train with my feet on the bench. Governments gonna govern.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Some wife's will be unhappy about their product purchase options if they put their money behind their morals:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2019/06/25/wayfair-employees-plan-walkout-oppose-furniture-sales-migrant-detention-facilities/STcUfJsDN4AXXls0PmJuhN/story.html

Wayfair is selling product to Immigrant Detention Facilities.
Seems counter intuitive to protest poor conditions by refusing to sell items which will directly improve conditions.
They're selling beds, not tazers, and the US isn't alone struggling to provide adequate accommodation for refugees.

upload_2019-6-27_14-40-44.jpeg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Seems counter intuitive to protest poor conditions by refusing to sell items which will directly improve conditions.
They're selling beds, not tazers, and the US isn't alone struggling to provide adequate accommodation for refugees.

View attachment 135258

The govt has massive surplus via the military. Use what we have, don't use concentration camps as a source for private entities to profit.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The govt has massive surplus via the military. Use what we have, don't use concentration camps as a source for private entities to profit.

IKEA’s Better Shelter is winning awards for their refugee shelter designs. Do you view them as profiting off the refugee plight?

Better Shelter is the organisation that we established as a social enterprise. It's a for-profit enterprise owned by a separate, not-for-profit foundation, which is separate from IKEA and separate from the IKEA Foundation. It's established by us and we provide the necessary capital to make it work. But it doesn't belong to us.

It's probably the only not-for-profit venture that provides non-food items to the humanitarian sector. Everyone involved in the humanitarian sector are for-profit companies. And there is nothing wrong with that, because everyone needs to make a living.”

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
IKEA’s Better Shelter is winning awards for their refugee shelter designs. Do you view them as profiting off the refugee plight?
Let's go back to the fact that the US Govt has both actively created this problem and is doing nothing to solve it. It costs almost $700/day per/person to maintain these facilities and conditions are abysmal.

Regarding IKEA, if a better product can be made that is specialized for the need, then yes, you should be able to profit from your innovation. IKEA created a better product. The US military has copious amounts of inventory that can be used to support the concentration/internment camps at the border, just pull it from storage. Profit should not be made, when the product needed is already in inventory.

Better Shelter is the organisation that we established as a social enterprise. It's a for-profit enterprise owned by a separate, not-for-profit foundation, which is separate from IKEA and separate from the IKEA Foundation. It's established by us and we provide the necessary capital to make it work. But it doesn't belong to us.

It's probably the only not-for-profit venture that provides non-food items to the humanitarian sector. Everyone involved in the humanitarian sector are for-profit companies. And there is nothing wrong with that, because everyone needs to make a living.”
In general, corporations have evolved and are evolving not to pay people enough to live, using varied mechanisms.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I kinda feel like a few of you outraged motherfuckers from earlier owe me an apology but since we're running concentration camps I'll let it slide.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I kinda feel like a few of you outraged motherfuckers from earlier owe me an apology but since we're running concentration camps I'll let it slide.
Well sure. But dont you worry Joe Sixpack in Bumblefuck, Nebrahoma wont vote Democratic when a candidate might be brave enough to imply that brown people might be human?

FWIW, I spent my 17 wedding anniversary at a god damned protest, instead of having a nice night out. :mad:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Why would he be surprised?
Here’s Obama’s homeland security secretary in 2014. The concern is palpable as evidenced by the rapid change of conditions following this visit.

View attachment 135554
But what about the Indian Removal Act of 1830? :rolleyes:

Google image search got me this LA times story dated June 25, 2014, exactly one day after I posted this in another thread:
No one has hit "return to sender" on more brown skins than Obama, and he is following the law. Nuance of course, is hard for the right to interpret though.
It's almost as if I might have been critical of immigration policy way back then too.

Edit. I'd be remiss to not point out that in 2014 the visit was to a facility actually housing kids, who by all appearances, at least had enough room to lay down. Pence made sure to visit the men’s area and not show the women and children. It’s all propaganda.
This is the game. Create a crisis. Blame the Democrats, and demand money be funneled to their for profit friends to fix it, while also cutting funding to programs that fix real problems. Republicans created all of it. It took EFFORT to intentionally create these conditions in the 5 years since 2014. And meanwhile private prison companies are raking it in by running these detention centers on government no-bid contracts.

Then they point fingers at Democrats for "not funding border security" even though Democrats offered loads of extra border security funding that Trump, like the big baby that he is, turned down because it wouldn't explicitly fund his wall.

And this works for the base. They get to be racists, and also point fingers at Democrats and paint them as the inhumane ones. It's a transparent con that people living in Republican world are apparently blind to and are going out of their way to normalize.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
But what about the Indian Removal Act of 1830? :rolleyes:

Google image search got me this LA times story dated June 25, 2014, exactly one day after I posted this in another thread:

It's almost as if I might have been critical of immigration policy way back then too.

Edit. I'd be remiss to not point out that in 2014 the visit was to a facility actually housing kids, who by all appearances, at least had enough room to lay down. Pence made sure to visit the men’s area and not show the women and children. It’s all propaganda.
This is the game. Create a crisis. Blame the Democrats, and demand money be funneled to their for profit friends to fix it, while also cutting funding to programs that fix real problems. Republicans created all of it. It took EFFORT to intentionally create these conditions in the 5 years since 2014. And meanwhile private prison companies are raking it in by running these detention centers on government no-bid contracts.

Then they point fingers at Democrats for "not funding border security" even though Democrats offered loads of extra border security funding that Trump, like the big baby that he is, turned down because it wouldn't explicitly fund his wall.

And this works for the base. They get to be racists, and also point fingers at Democrats and paint them as the inhumane ones. It's a transparent con that people living in Republican world are apparently blind to and are going out of their way to normalize.
I wasn't trying to say current admin wasn't responsible for exacerbating today's conditions or point fingers at Obama/Dems.
Nor am I saying any of this is acceptable.
IMO the lack of a modern immigration policy, one in tune with today's realities, is one of congress' biggest failures to both this country and humanity in general.