Quantcast

In need of a new bike rack for our car, need help!

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
As the title says, we need a new bike rack to carry our MTB. We currently have a sportrack 2EZ, still usable but showing sign of fatigue... We are looking for something better and preferably without the rack touching the bike frames and it need to be available for a 1 1/4" hitch.

So far we looked at the Thule T2, but with a price tag of 580$ MSRP here in canuckistan, it's a bit pricey.... We've seen it on lone as low as 340 US and we might go that way...

Any other options worth considering???

Thanks for your help...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
1upUSA and Kuat NV are the best of the premium range racks but they cost even more than a T2.

In the T2 price range, the Yakima Holdup is a better option.

I've owned several revisions of the T2 from Sportworks and Thule and also the Holdup. If I was looking to save money, I'd go Holdup. I currently use the 1upUSA.

Some people like the NS Racks, but they don't work with as many bikes as tray racks, it touches the suspension fork, and they aren't any cheaper than the T2 or Holdup.

If you use the search you'll find various threads about hitch racks.

Last edited:
As the title says, we need a new bike rack to carry our MTB. We currently have a sportrack 2EZ, still usable but showing sign of fatigue... We are looking for something better and preferably without the rack touching the bike frames and it need to be available for a 1 1/4" hitch.

So far we looked at the Thule T2, but with a price tag of 580$ MSRP here in canuckistan, it's a bit pricey.... We've seen it on lone as low as 340 US and we might go that way...

Thanks for your help...
for what car?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hum!! Yeah...

It's for our '07 Honda Fit and our future car we don't know what we are gonna have yet...

We'd like to ba able to open the hatch with bikes on the rack too....

North shore is not an option for us...
I've got a hitch rack on my Impreza with a T2. It tilts down and I can open the hatch. Pretty nifty!

Ok so as requested, I put my T2 on my 2010 Outback with my aftermarket Draw-Tite hitch. The bike on the car was my 1995 Rockhopper. And yes, with the rack tilted down, I can open the tailgate of the car.

I would think the only real issues would be:
1. How far under the car is the hitch receiver mounted? A factory mounted hitch that is flush with the bumper should have NO problem.
2. How wide are the handlebars? (Road bikes should be no issue)
3. How close do you have the bike trays mounted on the rack? (probably the only thing that you have room to play with).

Good luck in your search!

More snow here tomorrow so the rack is coming back off the car tonight.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got a Softride Versa 2 on my car right now. Super compact so the hatchback opens even with the rack tilted up for storage, though it's easy enough to tilt down. Doesn't touch any part of the frame, just some bars that go up over the wheels.

Full disclosure, they sent it to me to do a review. Review will be posted sometime this spring.

It sells for about $75 less than the T2 on Amazon. Not a bad little rack. A few of the nuts didn't like the trip to NH in the salt and have a little surface rust but nothing that affects the rack itself.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
OK, so I did a search, but didn't find what I'm looking for. which is actual user experience with the Kuat NV or NV Core.

I'm looking to replace my Sports Rack 2EZ hitch mount for a few reasons. 1. it's getting a little long in the tooth and the trays look like they're about to let go. yes I could replace the trays, but then there's issue #2, and that's that the hooks don't quite come down in a convenient spot on my new bike (Mojo HD). and then there's issue #3, which is that I want the rack to be able to tilt away to open the hatch on my Mazda CX-5 with the bikes still on the rack.

As I see it, I'm looking for a rack that "grabs" the bikes by the wheels. I have a 1-1/4" receiver. The options that I can see are:

- Yakima Holdup
- Saris CycleOn
- Thule T2
- Kuat NV or NV-Core

A buddy of mine has the Saris, and though it's nice, it doesn't tilt back, and I find it annoying that the bikes have to be placed "derailleur-inside". Every time I've put my bike on his rack the derailleur has been touching a part of his bike, and in the long-run I'm worried about bending my hanger.

I liked the look of the 1up and the Versa, but the Versa seems to be discontinued and the 1up doesn't make the 2-bike rack in the 1-1/4" hitch. and on their site they say it can't be retroffited either.

The Yakima seems like a good option, as does the Thule. However, I like the look of the Kuat and they're little bike stand add-on looks nifty. If I can sell some extra parts sitting around the basement, I could afford the price difference. But I'm wondering if it's worth it. Anyone have any long-term experience with it?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got a hitch rack on my Impreza with a T2. It tilts down and I can open the hatch. Pretty nifty!
i've got the same configuration (rack + car); had a 2" receiver welded into the hitch before it was installed. way more stable than the 1-1/4" version. very pleased with my T2.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I liked the look of the 1up and the Versa, but the Versa seems to be discontinued and the 1up doesn't make the 2-bike rack in the 1-1/4" hitch. and on their site they say it can't be retroffited either.

The Yakima seems like a good option, as does the Thule. However, I like the look of the Kuat and they're little bike stand add-on looks nifty. If I can sell some extra parts sitting around the basement, I could afford the price difference. But I'm wondering if it's worth it. Anyone have any long-term experience with it?
The 1upUSA is modular, the 1 1/4" version works fine with the base rack + add-on tray and comes with a 2" adapter. 2 trays total is no problem. 3 total is an option depending on load (most other 1.25" tray solutions are 2-only). The 2" only model comes in a stock, 2-bike fixed configuration and can handle up to 4 bikes. Its an expensive rack but its very high quality, light, US made, and folds down small enough to fit in a car trunk.

I would go with the Yakima Holdup if bang for buck is your goal. Buy a high-quality folding workstand if you don't already have one - far better than an integrated solution.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The 1up looks just what I am looking for. Since I park on the street and have no storage inside its perfect that I can just take it off and put it in the trunk.

Wonder what it will cost to get a hitch installed on the Volvo.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The 1up looks just what I am looking for. Since I park on the street and have no storage inside its perfect that I can just take it off and put it in the trunk.

Wonder what it will cost to get a hitch installed on the Volvo.
You might be able to do it yourself (if not, uhaul, shouldn't be much more). I favor curt over valley, drawtite/hidden hitch/reese, etc. If your order from uhaul, they will let you request a brand if you ask:

http://www.etrailer.com/

http://www.hitchweb.com/

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You just use the regular rack with the add on:

http://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilver.html
http://www.1upusa.com/product-addonsilver.html

The dedicated 2 bike rack that they sell is mainly for people who are planning on carrying up to 4 bikes.
ooooooooh. this looks like a serious contender now. I like that it can go up to three. hopefully kiddo will want to bring his bike along for family vacations some day, and in the mean time, I could do the 1 up to reduce drag and stuff.... sweet.

and you guys are happy with yours in the long run?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
ooooooooh. this looks like a serious contender now. I like that it can go up to three. hopefully kiddo will want to bring his bike along for family vacations some day, and in the mean time, I could do the 1 up to reduce drag and stuff.... sweet.

and you guys are happy with yours in the long run?
I've had mine a couple of years and it's great. I really like that you can take it on and off quickly and I only have to cart around the one bike tray most of the time (which doesn't block my license plate...bonus!). My only two complaints are that the sliders aren't quite as smooth as when new and there's a rather finely threaded nut that locks the rack in place that's a little more of a pain than I think it has to be. Otherwise, great rack.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sounds right. I think a simple threaded hitch pin setup like a T2/Holdup design is better than the 1up or Saris Cycle-On Pro's design for installation/retention. And like you said the arms get slightly notchy on the slide bar but other than that it can't be beat.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have the 1up and it's an awesome rack, especially for cars. Much more clearance than a Yakima or something. I have the 1-1/4 version and it's very convenient that it fits my truck as well as my wife's car. The rack comes with the adapter. I also really like the mounting system. The rack is very snug in the receiver and doesn't move around like others do with just a hitch pin. I also like how the bikes sit, nothing gets touched but the tires and very easy to get the bikes in and out. Modular is nice too.

The other thing I like is its very low key folded up on the car and taken off the car for storage.

Overall, very worth the money. I've had mine for about 3-4 years now and still works great. Highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin

Thanks for your help...
I thought the same about the T2. Bought their cheaper version, 916XT or something like that. It sucked and in less than a year I had a T2. Would have been cheaper to buy the right rack first. Always go with your first instinct